5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anti–Spin Differential Rear Axle

Kaz

Reaction score
For our order its the wife's truck, and I like to mash the gas (her truck is a highway queen). We don't offroad much and I don't like to have a single tire spinning in poor traction scenarios. Anti-Spin was the way we went.

QuasarZ

Reaction score
Anymore info on this possible lsd Locker situation? I have a rebel now but I really liked the lsd on my last big horn with the mixed snow and ice patches here in WI/MN.

Last edited:

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anymore info on this possible lsd Locker situation? I have a rebel now but I really liked the lsd on my last big horn with the mixed snow and ice patches here in WI/MN.

I currently have a Gen4 Rebel that had an LSD.
I'm personally glad to be getting a true locker on the Gen5.

From what I can tell, I'm not sure if the LSD ever kicked on to be quite honest. Most of what your truck will handle will be conquered via the tires and 4x4, IMO.
Tires 1, 4x4 2, LSD/locker 3. You could have 8 wheel drive, but on bowling slicks you'll never get traction anyway.

I could be wrong, but I believe in order to get the LSD to work, if it didn't activate by itself? I believe you had to hit the brakes to stop the spinning wheel, gas and brake simultaneously to tell the Diff to send power to the other wheel.

Again realistically with the right tires and 4x4 you might not need either for most on road situations.

myram2019

Reaction score
I read thru many forums and still don't have a 100% answer as to what anti-spin is exactly. On the RAM TRUCK web site it explains the option as ---"The rear differential can be locked with an electronic actuator so both rear wheels receive equal torque all the time for enhanced traction." --- everyone says its a LSD, but LSD works off clutched or gears....... SO why are they saying ELECTRONIC ACTUATOR ???? What does that mean. I am trying to order a truck but cant decide. I have a pretty steep short gravel driveway and i do tow 26' trailer and launch boats. I don't do much off road, I'm leaning towards e-locker. What do you thing ??

Johnmcillwain

Reaction score
Anti spin is just clutches and gears. And works well for your everyday application. The anti spin will let you make turns without skipping the other wheel, but when it senses one slipping it engages the clutches and both spin. Nothing electronic.

The locker if you engage it both wheels will be locked together and will not give. So of you on the road and turn with it engaged the inside tire will slip while turning

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Anti spin is just clutches and gears. And works well for your everyday application. The anti spin will let you make turns without skipping the other wheel, but when it senses one slipping it engages the clutches and both spin. Nothing electronic.

The locker if you engage it both wheels will be locked together and will not give. So of you on the road and turn with it engaged the inside tire will slip while turning
Yup. This ^^^

Zinger

Reaction score
My experience with an LSD is that when it kicks in you get a "hopping" sensation from the rear end as the torque is transferred from one wheel to the other and back again. Might not be characteristic of Rams but that was how my Dakota functioned.

I floored my Ram with locker going up a hill on a rainy night and the traction control kicked in and it was somewhat the same feeling. The good news is the traction control did an excellent job of keeping the truck straight. I think the TSC and locker is a good option.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Can the elocker be ran daily at traffic speeds (55 to 60)? Or just slow applications?

fireron

Reaction score
I am glad Ram offers the 4 wheel auto option. It helps in varying on road conditions in a way 4 wheel locked options do not, inspiring confidence while driving in bad weather. The elocker in my opinion should always be chosen over the limited slip option. It brings sure traction to the rear axle.

Limited slip by using clutches begins to deteriorate with time and cannot be properly evaluated for wear without a teardown for a visual inspection and may fail in a time when it is needed. My view is why choose a wearing option of the clutches when the elocker,in theory, should last as long as the differential itself. Of course, any mechanical system can fail at any time but the clutches of a limited slip system wear with a certainty that is guaranteed.

Due to the 4 wheel auto option, traction is automatic and replaces the usefulness of a limited slip as a smooth transition while driving in quick changing, common bad weather conditions. The elocker provides sure traction under more severe conditions that a limited slip cannot offer.

I will now climb down from my soapbox knowing some folks will defend the limited slip option and they certainly have their reasons for doing so. YMMV and my reasons stated above were developed during my years of off roading and general street driving in AZ and Colorado. Of course, the above comments refer to a four wheel drive truck only and with a two wheel drive street driven truck (ugh) one might prefer a limited slip in which case a true trac would be a great option IMHO. Safe travels to all this winter!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Can the elocker be ran daily at traffic speeds (55 to 60)? Or just slow applications?
Absolutely not. e-locker is for slower speed, off-road use. I believe it will disengage automatically after 25 or 30 MPH.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am glad Ram offers the 4 wheel auto option. It helps in varying on road conditions in a way 4 wheel locked options do not, inspiring confidence while driving in bad weather. The elocker in my opinion should always be chosen over the limited slip option. It brings sure traction to the rear axle.

Limited slip by using clutches begins to deteriorate with time and cannot be properly evaluated for wear without a teardown for a visual inspection and may fail in a time when it is needed. My view is why choose a wearing option of the clutches when the elocker,in theory, should last as long as the differential itself. Of course, any mechanical system can fail at any time but the clutches of a limited slip system wear with a certainty that is guaranteed.

Due to the 4 wheel auto option, traction is automatic and replaces the usefulness of a limited slip as a smooth transition while driving in quick changing, common bad weather conditions. The elocker provides sure traction under more severe conditions that a limited slip cannot offer.

I will now climb down from my soapbox knowing some folks will defend the limited slip option and they certainly have their reasons for doing so. YMMV and my reasons stated above were developed during my years of off roading and general street driving in AZ and Colorado. Of course, the above comments refer to a four wheel drive truck only and with a two wheel drive street driven truck (ugh) one might prefer a limited slip in which case a true trac would be a great option IMHO. Safe travels to all this winter!

I think this is great advice and I would implement it the next time I buy a truck. The auto 4 wheel drive solves any problems of reduced traction. It would be nice to know you can lock them because if you're struggling for traction in 4auto, you're past anything the anti-slip is going to help with.

Wxgs333

Reaction score
It would be nice to know you can lock them because if you're struggling for traction in 4auto, you're past anything the anti-slip is going to help with.
. Well said! I was struggling on which to choose when ordering, but this was the exact reason that I finally went with the locker.

myram2019

Reaction score
All great answers but still a mystery why the list it as electronic actuator vs just saying limited slip.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Great info! Question as far as dry pavement traction goes. I love how well planted these trucks are (my current 4th gen). I can stomp on it basically from a stop and it goes. Of course it can spin the tires. I guess i may not know when the lsd actually is working. Will i feel it? I would think if im accelerating with an open diff, more wheel spin would be experienced. Am i right or off base? I kinda assume the lsd would be activating when stomping from a stop. I dont want to suffer dry traction by choosing an elocker and no lsd. (As you can tell i know nothing about how this actually works).

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve posted in the Rebel Trx section. My diff digs both tires into snow/ice.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
I’ve posted in the Rebel Trx section. My diff digs both tires into snow/ice.

Your thread really got me looking into this stuff. At first from what i was reading the lsd would be better for me. But you saying you have both spin with e locker off has me reconsidering.

robeward

Reaction score
It's just a misprint. No mystery :)

But this is very confusing misprint. The description of both the anti spin and locker are almost the same. i have been trying to spec out a truck and things like this make it very difficult.

so you have the e locker. button activated from cab. true locked rear diff when activated. only good up to 20mph or 40mph in 4WD LOW. Automatically disengages above rated speed and locks back when below rated speed.

Anti-spin. This is a limited slip setup. no user input needed. purely mechanical system built into rear end via clutch discs. works like any limited slip and tries to transfer power to the wheel with traction. plenty of debate up here on effectiveness and what audience it serves.

Are the above correct?

my question. if the window sticker has neither of these then do you have a completely open diff? is there any kind of traction control that uses the brakes to simulate or create an limited slip rear end? i have seen mention of that up here.

hard to believe they still might be selling trucks with true open diffs with all the solutions out there these days. GM has been using the G80 locker forever and while there is debate on it reliability it does work, its automatic, and its a true lock.

Users who are viewing this thread