5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anti–Spin Differential Rear Axle

Cluck

Reaction score
Guys, I'm doing a special order. As for Axle I see "Anti–Spin Differential Rear Axle" option and I thought I saw another choice for the "e locker"

Anti Spin is just a limited slip type set up? If I don't get this, what does the truck come with? Trying to determine which one I need. I know 100% I want the 3.92 rear...

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have 3 options:Anti-spin which is limited slip, eLocker which electronically locks the axle when you push the button {works up to 10mph},or an open axle if select nothing.

DeanKing

Reaction score
I actually spent a lot of time thinking about this on my order. I ended up with anti spin which is LSD. Lockers are really good for rock crawling. However they can’t be used at various speeds in unexpected situations like an LSD. Hit a bank of snow going 30mph and you will find the LSD very handy. If you really are going to go off roaring then can consider the lockers.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I actually spent a lot of time thinking about this on my order. I ended up with anti spin which is LSD. Lockers are really good for rock crawling. However they can’t be used at various speeds in unexpected situations like an LSD. Hit a bank of snow going 30mph and you will find the LSD very handy. If you really are going to go off roaring then can consider the lockers.
Correct. This is the reason I like anti-spin. Lockers are great but not for everyday driving, where anti-spin is way more practical.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, in the time I've had my Rebel, I've driven on almost every surface, except snow and ice. I have to say, I think the locker has LSD tendencies since I always leave two tracks when spinning on loose or paved surfaces. Exactly like my LSD on my 16' Rebel..

Is possible the locker is the best of both worlds? A locking LSD? Does anyone have the spec on the locker in the 19' Rebel and off road package?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, in the time I've had my Rebel, I've driven on almost every surface, except snow and ice. I have to say, I think the locker has LSD tendencies since I always leave two tracks when spinning on loose or paved surfaces. Exactly like my LSD on my 16' Rebel..

Is possible the locker is the best of both worlds? A locking LSD? Does anyone have the spec on the locker in the 19' Rebel and off road package?
We've talked about this in other threads, but Ram is using the "ELocker" name, which is a trademark of Eaton. So you're looking at this guy.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it's an open diff, what explains the posi-like launches I'm seeing?

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Does anyone on here have any experience upgrading their differential to a limited slip setup? If so whats the cost and best way to go about getting one.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
If it's an open diff, what explains the posi-like launches I'm seeing?
IDK, but if you have a locking diff, it does not have LSD attributes as far as I know. When not engaged it is just an open diff.

DeanKing

Reaction score
On loose surfaces with non lsd maybe they both spin? Not on dry pavement. Not sure but a lsd locker would be nice. I would have bought that. My wife has a lifted Rubicon so the Ram is staying on the road and away from the scratchy paint bits on the trail. Dirt roads and curbs will be the only thing it gets to off-road on.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On loose surfaces with non lsd maybe they both spin? Not on dry pavement. Not sure but a lsd locker would be nice. I would have bought that. My wife has a lifted Rubicon so the Ram is staying on the road and away from the scratchy paint bits on the trail. Dirt roads and curbs will be the only thing it gets to off-road on.
I'll go out on the street right now and light'em up... two patches, no matter the surface.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll go out on the street right now and light'em up... two patches, no matter the surface.

This is very interesting. Can no one confirm that the eLocker has no LSD-like benefits when off? I'm as puzzled by this as you are.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is very interesting. Can no one confirm that the eLocker has no LSD-like benefits when off? I'm as puzzled by this as you are.
More pleasantly surprised than puzzled. I loved the LSD on my 16', but often longed for a locking diff in certain situations. If the lsd-like behavior is part of the package when not locked... best diff ever! (y)

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
More pleasantly surprised than puzzled. I loved the LSD on my 16', but often longed for a locking diff in certain situations. If the lsd-like behavior is part of the package when not locked... best diff ever! (n)

Should that thumb be pointing the other way?

mikeofokc

Reaction score
If you want to off road or rock climb then the e-locker is a practical choice. If you mainly drive paved or gravel or dirt roads or snow and ice then limited slip is best for traction in a strait line. 4wd with limited slip and traction control is the best on slippery surfaces. On dry hard pavement limited slip almost feels like posi track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online