5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another recall? This one for inadequate defrost.

Mesteve

Reaction score
Another recall? With only remedy being a buy-back???

Attachments

• 1A79327C-716C-48E4-B532-29D96F33E17F.png
    1A79327C-716C-48E4-B532-29D96F33E17F.png
    356.7 KB · Views: 352

geotex1

Reaction score
WoW! That is brow lifting with the only remedy as a buy-back. Has to be pretty major if they cannot a remedy at a dealer, and keep in mind Ford had a recall once that required lifting the entire body off to get at the motor...

Mesteve

Reaction score
Strange part is, I cannot find any corroboration on the web. Is that normal when a recall is brand new?

brdima

Reaction score
what happens when a vehicle is bought back? do owners get full money back? depreciated value? What happens to discounts that someone received when buying the truck, can they get the same discount on new purchase? are these case specific?

SColang22

Reaction score
When FCA does a buy back do they reimburse you for added accessories etc?
I do not think they will pay for your extras. The last one i heard of that got lemon lawed had to pay to have his lift pulled off and put on the new truck. You might have to lawyer up to get them to pay for it though.

Maple

Reaction score
Wow. Any articles with number estimates? This seems crazy to me. What parts would they have to forget to install that would result in lack of defrost capability?

RAMRhode

Reaction score
Strange part is, I cannot find any corroboration on the web. Is that normal when a recall is brand new?
NHSTA.gov
Seems that it affects 15 new build trucks crew cab 4wd and early 2019 builds. All are with base HVAC.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In the tsb tab, this recall is listed, but no details listed.

Mesteve

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with RAM recall customer service; they couldn’t locate a V12 recall anywhere...

SColang22

Reaction score
Ok, 15 trucks - that makes more sense. Still curious to know what they forgot to install.
It might just be they are realizing the 12" screen is not compatible with the base HVAC. These things happen when you purchase the first year of a new gen vehicle.

RAMRhode

Reaction score
In the tsb tab, this recall is listed, but no details listed.
Here’s some more info. I’m sure the other builds configs are listed in their file sections on nhsta site.

Attachments

• RCLRPT-19V051-5247.pdf
    209.2 KB · Views: 58

Rich

Reaction score
This is interesting to me as I'm having issues with my defrost, in that in front of the driver there is reduced airflow when in defrost mode. In icing conditions, it's hard for the defroster to melt the ice.

Here is a photo I took where you can see the ice on the windshield just in front of the driver's view where the center of the windshield that gets good airflow was properly cleared. This was on a morning where there was very light ice on the windshield. I would hate to be driving in real icing conditions, it would be dangerous as the defroster couldn't keep up with the icing.

20190219_075003.jpg

I have the 8.4 w/nav and the Auto climate control type of system.

I guess it's not part of this recall as the recall seems to imply that there is no functioning defrost functions at all.

Last edited:

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Based on the recall, ths only affects Fifteen (15) 2019 MY Ram 1500 vehicles were built between November 15,
2018, and November 16, 2018 with the suspect combination of radio and HVAC Systems and only ones with 12” screens. If you can control your hvac with the touch screen, this recall does not apply to you .

Last edited:

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's only one HVAC unit available for the 12" screen trucks, so the "base" HVAC system is "THE" HVAC system that comes in Laramie and higher trimmed trucks.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reading between the lines, my guess is someone put the wrong part on a few trucks. It’s interesting that they narrowed it down to one day

Right, and I keep wondering if this will make the news. "Ram today recalled 15 trucks!" doesn't quite seem newsworthy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/