5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another really inane feature...(Tire Fill Alerts Disabled)

flyingron

Reaction score
OK, I get up this morning to go drive the car. It's a rare 28 degree day here in NC. The car gripes that the right side tires are low in pressure. Oddly this is one of these oddball ones where the left side tires are also at 30 psi but they are fine. No problem, says I. I drive the truck over close enough to my air compressor for the hose to reach. I'll use the snazzy "blow the horn when you've put in enough air" feature the dealer showed me. It's grayed out.

Now, I get out the manuals to see why. Have I ever told you how much the RAM manuals suck? I've seen better English in Nissans and Toyotas. The entries are cyclical and inane and lack useful information. I may have misunderstood it but I think it says the feature is disabled if you get a low pressure alert. What? That's the one time you'd really like to use it. Anyhow, put air in the tires by going back and checking the dash display periodically.
Still the tire pressure feature in the UConnect Apps is grayed out. NOTHING happens when you poke at it while in park. If you poke it while you're in Drive it warns you that you can't use it while in motion. (Yeah putting the air hose on the spinning is going to be difficult anyway).

Later on it'ss still grayed out. I KNOW it did work before as the salesman demoed it to me on THIS truck before I left the lot. Hmm... poke around the other setup menus. Under DRIVER ASSIST there's a feature that disables this. WHY? I mean, if you don't want to use it, don't poke the button. Not sure why it needs a secondary disable and I'm not sure how it got turned off.

Did I tell you how much I hate the RAM manuals.

Damion

Reaction score
According to my build sheet my truck has this but it’s not listed in my uconnect setting anywhere. Under the driver assist menu it says 7 items in list ( or around there ) but it only shows 6. ( shows one less that the items in list number ). I suspect the tire fill assist is the missing item but have no clue how to get it to show.

Either way I carry a digital tire gauge in the glove box.

79 300

Reaction score
Putting air in and going back to check the dash readout periodically will not work since you have to be in motion for the readings to update.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't even seen that option on the Rebel 8.4 setup - all my imports had the feature though. Will have to check the build sheet

flyingron

Reaction score
Putting air in and going back to check the dash readout periodically will not work since you have to be in motion for the readings to update.
That certainly does not seem to be the case in my truck. The wheels have to spin to keep the TPMS sensors charged up, but they will report while standing still or else the Tire Fill Alerts would never work anyhow.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Clearing two things up from above -

1. the TPMS sensors are battery operated - there's no charging while in motion
2. The TPMS Sensors 'sleep' when no motion is detected to save battery life
3. the Sensors will transmit PSI data 'live' to the dash if they're awake after a drive - that's how the tire fill alerts work

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
I drove to gas station with low tire pressure and parked (with vehicle still running) to add air to tires. Oddly I got the horn beep to tell me when I had enough air pressure and the numbers moved up on the screen as the tire pressure increased as wifey was calling it out to me.

I don't know what is checked where, let me know and I will look and see what is turned on/off etc...

adampsmall

Reaction score
Clearing two things up from above -

1. the TPMS sensors are battery operated - there's no charging while in motion
2. The TPMS Sensors 'sleep' when no motion is detected to save battery life
3. the Sensors will transmit PSI data 'live' to the dash if they're awake after a drive - that's how the tire fill alerts work
That's 3 things! Haha! Still good info, thanks!

bigoldthor

Reaction score
That certainly does not seem to be the case in my truck. The wheels have to spin to keep the TPMS sensors charged up, but they will report while standing still or else the Tire Fill Alerts would never work anyhow.

Same here. I let my truck sit several hours in the garage to cool down the tires, then went to level out all the tire pressures. As long as the key was inside the cabin and the ignition in the Run position, my TPMS readings would update as I added and released air from any of the tires. Did this several times over the course of a week.

tm757

Reaction score
I have used the TPMS while airing down all 4 tires at the same time using tire delators from eBay. So much easier than sticking something to depress the valve stem one at a time. The dash readout tells me what psi I am at so I know when to stop. Then when inflating, the horn sounds when it is full. I love these features.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck has to be running in park. Just put air in and it will honk and flash the hazards when you get it up enough. If you overfill it will honk and flash brakes until you lower the pressure.

orange01z28

Reaction score
Truck has to be running in park. Just put air in and it will honk and flash the hazards when you get it up enough. If you overfill it will honk and flash brakes until you lower the pressure.
And you don't have to enable anything? It will just do this?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK, I get up this morning to go drive the car. It's a rare 28 degree day here in NC. The car gripes that the right side tires are low in pressure. Oddly this is one of these oddball ones where the left side tires are also at 30 psi but they are fine. No problem, says I. I drive the truck over close enough to my air compressor for the hose to reach. I'll use the snazzy "blow the horn when you've put in enough air" feature the dealer showed me. It's grayed out.

Now, I get out the manuals to see why. Have I ever told you how much the RAM manuals suck? I've seen better English in Nissans and Toyotas. The entries are cyclical and inane and lack useful information. I may have misunderstood it but I think it says the feature is disabled if you get a low pressure alert. What? That's the one time you'd really like to use it. Anyhow, put air in the tires by going back and checking the dash display periodically.
Still the tire pressure feature in the UConnect Apps is grayed out. NOTHING happens when you poke at it while in park. If you poke it while you're in Drive it warns you that you can't use it while in motion. (Yeah putting the air hose on the spinning is going to be difficult anyway).

Later on it'ss still grayed out. I KNOW it did work before as the salesman demoed it to me on THIS truck before I left the lot. Hmm... poke around the other setup menus. Under DRIVER ASSIST there's a feature that disables this. WHY? I mean, if you don't want to use it, don't poke the button. Not sure why it needs a secondary disable and I'm not sure how it got turned off.

Did I tell you how much I hate the RAM manuals.
What?!?!? That's insane! I always fill my tires while I'm hanging out of the window driving down the highway at 60mph! :ROFLMAO:
But honestly man...those tire fill assist features have had problems in every car brand that's ever used them...I'd say just forget about it and use a normal tire gauge when filling the tires...always will be the most accurate.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I made a 5 way tap, put 4 locking air lines on it for each tire and the 5th goes to the compressor and a gauge. I Hook it up, open the valve and all the pressures equalize. I usually air them all down and then refill from the compressor ( which has a very very good drier on it ) and I can match all 4 tires solid to the same exact PSI everytime. Better than any shop and better than nitrogen BS money shenanigans.

Users who are viewing this thread