5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another, Push to Start NOT Working

should_have

Reaction score
Folks curious if the technicians/shop will able to get my 2019 Ram1500 started after I had it towed to the dealer?

It sure does sucks these modern vehicles can so easily leave you stranded.

Hopefully I will find out this morning what is wrong since I'm on vacation. Luckily I wasn't on vacation with my Travel Trailer stuck at a busy gas station.

From googling on the internet, if I had to guess it's some RF Module behind the rear seat since I was able to start it up twice remotely with the Key Fob.

Kind of wished I would have purchased the extended warranty, particularly since this is the second expense after my 3/36,000

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Curious if you tried pushing the start button with the key fob instead of your finger?
Most people never look at the manual, and don't know about that. I have probably taught a dozen people about that.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it was the RF module, then you wouldn't be able to start it remotely with the key fob at all.

should_have

Reaction score
If it was the RF module, then you wouldn't be able to start it remotely with the key fob at all.
I'm hoping you are wrong and it's just the ignition switch. But I read on the Internet, it must be true 😁, a gentleman had the same condition. He could remotely start vehicle but not using the push button start

Majortom

Reaction score
I'm hoping you are wrong and it's just the ignition switch. But I read on the Internet, it must be true 😁, a gentleman had the same condition. He could remotely start vehicle but not using the push button start
Perhaps he meant remote start from app, not from key remote?? I could see that as a possibility if the RF was down. Maybe.

should_have

Reaction score
Received a text from the service department with a price, vehicle needs a new battery. I called and asked if the vehicle started for them, service writer said no but the tech had to use a portable battery pack! Per service writer, Tech mentioned it may need On/Off switch replace! I replied that the truck started easily yesterday with the Key Fob. I told them NO on the new battery and to just charge the battery overnight, Particularly since they have not found out why it doesn't start with the On/Off switch on the dash.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The batteries do go bad, and these modern vehicles act up like crazy if they don't get fed a perfect diet of 12V. Replacing the battery is cheap insurance.

should_have

Reaction score
I'm going to BS on dealer for now. Service Manager is going to call me that I need a $412 plus tax to troubleshoot my RAM. 2x the cost for a battery pretty much anywhere else, 🤯

should_have

Reaction score
It rained heavily last night sitting outside at the dealership. What makes me mad is that they never took the battery out last night to charge. Don't know how they moved it from dropoff by tow truck to just outside a bay? Yes it doesn't start and per service manager acts like a dead cell. Battery is either good, marginal or bad.

Curious how you move/push a truck around when either the On/Off Switch is bad or the RF Hub is bad

Once I found a roll of paper towels get wet behind the passenger side, I could have left a window open.

Never had water on the floor per my knowledge but work at home for a few years and now retired

should_have

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with service manager, they think they know what is wrong with the truck. The service code/fault pointed to the which thinks is the On/Off Switch because he mentioned it wasn't stuck in the On or Off position! Now they are trying to locate part

He also mentioned that he thinks they can salvage the battery 🙄

6of36

Reaction score
It rained heavily last night sitting outside at the dealership. What makes me mad is that they never took the battery out last night to charge. Don't know how they moved it from dropoff by tow truck to just outside a bay? Yes it doesn't start and per service manager acts like a dead cell. Battery is either good, marginal or bad.

Curious how you move/push a truck around when either the On/Off Switch is bad or the RF Hub is bad

Once I found a roll of paper towels get wet behind the passenger side, I could have left a window open.

Never had water on the floor per my knowledge but work at home for a few years and now retired
We had power pushers over 40 years ago, for pushing non running vehicles.

should_have

Reaction score
Service Manager called this morning. Don't have the part, 68336255AC, - On/Off Dash Ignition Switch in stock. So its would be 4 more days to see if B1A7D-2A Fault to clear.

should_have

Reaction score
Found the below comment on another forum but poster never responded to fix. Someone replied to replace On /Off Switch. My truck seemed to behave similarly, I would Turn off my truck and it would be in ACC mode.

Greetings all -- new to posting here. I have a 2019 Laramie and lately when I go to turn my truck off, it switches into the ACC mode instead of OFF. I will park, put the truck in park and hit the button to turn it off. I am usually pretty quick in that process, but that shouldn't matter. This started off happening about 5% of the time and has progressed to about 40-50% of the time today. Any ideas?

May be cheap insurance to replace your on/off switch if your goes to acc vs off, unless this normal.

should_have

Reaction score
Picked up my pick-up last night from dealer, $377.35 to replace Start/Stop Button ($79) and $44.59 Shop Supplies!

Of course pickup would not start, hood was left open in the latch position, which will give you a message when you try to remote start, Remote Start will not work, hood open.

Happy wife happy life, I just wanted to drive vehicle to my in-laws place in OC MD. I brought tools to change and charge battery, but since the RV/Marine Battery I brought along to hot shot vehicle did not work wife didn't like that ideal. So with just the short trip to AutoZone to get battery. And letting the truck run in parking lot to confirm if they had a battery in stock, truck almost started, cranked then click. I'm sure just after 20 minutes with the battery recovering that much I could have jumped started my vehicle with my RV battery but like I said earlier can't argue with the wife...

Once AutoZone finished replacing the battery, I asked them to look-up the Code for my check engine light that was on when I left the dealer to get battery. Code P1DF3 "Replace Gearshift Selector Assembly" Drove back to the dealer, 5PM, to have them reset/clear the Code. Unfortunately the service manger could not get his dongle to work with their PC, told me to bring back tomorrow.

Charged new battery overnight, started truck this morning Fault Code was clear. Hopefully Fault Code stays clear, I will check when I get home with my old OBD-II Reader

Attachments

• RAM WO.jpg
    RAM WO.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 11
  • AutoZone Report.jpg
    AutoZone Report.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 11

6of36

Reaction score
I don't see a push button causing it not to start with remote. Unless it wasn't shutting off, because you can't remote start with ignition already on. I'm not an expert, but I suspect a recurrence. I don't know how much diagnosis was involved, so labor may or may not be high, but that shop supplies charge is ridiculous.

should_have

Reaction score
I don't see a push button causing it not to start with remote. Unless it wasn't shutting off, because you can't remote start with ignition already on. I'm not an expert, but I suspect a recurrence. I don't know how much diagnosis was involved, so labor may or may not be high, but that shop supplies charge is ridiculous.
Truck would not start when I entered/tried last week while pushing the start/stop button. Stepped outside and truck started remotely with the key fob, but once inside pushing the start/stop button, truck would shut off. $ 150 tow to dealer. $ 377 to the dealer and $206 to Auto Zone for new battery. All for a $50 part on the internet

Hopefully NO Reoccurrences...

Users who are viewing this thread