5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another new guy

h4zegrey

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently decided I wanted to move away from my 2018 Atlas (purchased Oct '17) to a truck with the eventual goal of picking up an ATV down the road. (Went with my brother two weeks ago and had our boys with us, and my son and are hooked now). I mean, I could do the ATV before the truck, but go big or go home as they say. :)

Settled on the fact I want the Limited and the packages I want, but it looks like I'll be waiting for a '22 unless something randomly pops up in the area before then. I want the diesel for range and road trips, but where I'm getting mentally stuck is whether to get the rambox and multifunction tailgate. As I poke around and look at mods people are doing, and accessories that are out there, seems like it would be easier down the road to get a vanilla bed setup. Curious on thoughts from folks that have gotten either the box/gate setup and if it cause problems finding covers and such down the road.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome.. look around lots of positive experiences with both the mft and boxes from what ive read but I cant offer first had experience as those are 2 options i didnt personally look for or get in my vehicle.

ben b

Reaction score
Welcome aboard -- you have a great reason to move to a RAM!

I ordered both the RAM Box and the MFT after reading the comments on this site. My take-away was that most people who had the MFT loved it and those who didn't have it, don't miss it. Regarding the RAM Box, most people who bought it rave about it as well. But there are some people who have had problems with it opening at inopportune times. I bought the Mopar cover so that I knew it would fit perfectly, even though I would have slightly preferred an aluminum roll up cover.

My RAM won't show up for a few more weeks so I won't have first hand experience for awhile.

I concur with CMil 527 -- if you search for the comments on this site, you will find some great insights.

h4zegrey

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new truck .
The new truck in my imagination. :D

Looks like I'll be in a '22, best case.

Dealer is telling me more info on packages on the 20th, I'm still worried about features going away invisibly if they are sweating the chip shortage still. For the $$$, I'd rather wait and be perfect than scaled back somehow.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your not going to want Ram boxes if you plan on putting your ATV in the bed.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I thought you still had the 48 inch clearance in between? Or is it more about being able to get in and cinch things down?
The RamBox bed floor is actually slightly wider than the standard bed floor, but it's a question of reaching in and using tie-downs. I haven't tried an ATV in mine, but it's great for carrying our motorcycle or motor scooter. They're a lot less stable than an ATV, so I use a portable chock and four heavy-duty straps to secure them. The Vespa is just short enough that I can even install the bed extender behind it.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The new truck in my imagination. :D

Looks like I'll be in a '22, best case.

Dealer is telling me more info on packages on the 20th, I'm still worried about features going away invisibly if they are sweating the chip shortage still. For the $$$, I'd rather wait and be perfect than scaled back somehow.
The wait will just make it that much sweeter ! lol

Users who are viewing this thread