5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Mystery Leak Post

Big White RAM

Reaction score
My rear window has been leaking a few drops here and there since about 500 miles. I’m at almost 1,700 now. I recently tried sealing off the 3rd brake light area / seal with electrical tape (thought it might work lol, didn’t wanna make a huge mess with silicone) but that didn’t make a difference. Then I tried around the sxm fin but it still leaks. I’m interested in trying the “flowable silicone” between the glass / truck until I can get to the dealer, whenever that’s possible.

Would this be a good kind to use?

Yes, that is the silicone you want to use. It "flows" quickly, and is a bit watery, so use it sparingly and you should have good results.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Yes, that is the silicone you want to use. It "flows" quickly, and is a bit watery, so use it sparingly and you should have good results.

Thanks for the reply. I may give it a shot although I should really take it to the dealer asap. What I’ve been doing is when it rains, I roll up a couple of microfiber towels and wedge it in between the plastic trim and headliner. It rained very hard yesterday and the towels were pretty wet but the floor under the seats and rear wall carpet felt dry.

jeffauclair

Reaction score
Everytime I look at a leak tread, I am being scared about my truck. Mine is a laramie 01/2018 built, so I assume I might get all the issue possible. Haven't notice any leak yet, but I don,t want to wait until I see water or stain somewhere. I don,t want to be paranoid, but is there any way to see if the 3rd brake light is sealed correctly? Should I just go ahead and seal it? Just bought the RAM brand new, 500km on it, but the month/year built date scares me

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Everytime I look at a leak tread, I am being scared about my truck. Mine is a laramie 01/2018 built, so I assume I might get all the issue possible. Haven't notice any leak yet, but I don,t want to wait until I see water or stain somewhere. I don,t want to be paranoid, but is there any way to see if the 3rd brake light is sealed correctly? Should I just go ahead and seal it? Just bought the RAM brand new, 500km on it, but the month/year built date scares me

I removed my 3rd brake light and the seal looked fine to me from what I could see. And the screws were tight too. I haven’t seen any exterior issues with the rear window seal or trim and my interior plastic trim piece isn’t cracked, but my window still leaks. My headliner, rear wall & floorboard area under the seats are all still dry too.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I removed my 3rd brake light and the seal looked fine to me from what I could see. And the screws were tight too. I haven’t seen any exterior issues with the rear window seal or trim and my interior plastic trim piece isn’t cracked, but my window still leaks. My headliner, rear wall & floorboard area under the seats are all still dry too.
If everything is dry, what evidence do you have that it is leaking? I am confused.

Nos

Reaction score
Mystery leak for me now too... bought the truck in early April. Tropical storm came through yesterday, and noticed something smelling not quite right when getting in this morning, but thought nothing of it.

Still smelled funny this evening on way home from work, and condensation was noticed throughout the cabin, so decided to start looking. This is what I found under the rear floormats...
B4D652CB-42DD-442A-8306-AF8A0747C55D.jpeg 5B551434-F76E-4E45-A2E5-E924F28E51FA.jpeg
Whole rear carpet is pretty soaked on the passenger side. Any ideas?

Truck has less than 2000 miles. Absolutely ridiculous to have this issue on a brand new truck. The dealer better take care of this!

K9cop

Reaction score
Mystery leak for me now too... bought the truck in early April. Tropical storm came through yesterday, and noticed something smelling not quite right when getting in this morning, but thought nothing of it.

Still smelled funny this evening on way home from work, and condensation was noticed throughout the cabin, so decided to start looking. This is what I found under the rear floormats...
View attachment 58547 View attachment 58548

Truck has less than 2000 miles. Absolutely ridiculous to have this issue on a brand new truck. The dealer better take care of this!
9 times out of 10 it's the third brake light seal. The other 1% is rear window seal. I've heard of loose molding straps that run over the roof to the rear being not properly glued. If you can pull the headliner you may get a better idea of where it is coming in.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

ddharris

Reaction score
I had my rear window replaced and all seemed good until the recent hard rains in Florida. Rear headliner soaked now. Back to the dealership. Brake light seemed dry inside after removal. if they dont “ find” anything i will place a new better seal on the third brake light and add silicon to sxm fin antennae base. Fun fun
Fun fun

Bigalh79

Reaction score
I noticed a leak on mine last week, it was dripping from the channel above the sliding window. I also have the cracks on the window surround. I took my truck in yesterday and they said the leak on mine is coming from the shark fin antenna. They're going to reseal the antenna and replace the 3rd brake light and the rear window because of the cracks.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I had my rear window replaced and all seemed good until the recent hard rains in Florida. Rear headliner soaked now. Back to the dealership. Brake light seemed dry inside after removal. if they dont “ find” anything i will place a new better seal on the third brake light and add silicon to sxm fin antennae base. Fun fun
Fun fun
I noticed a leak on mine last week, it was dripping from the channel above the sliding window. I also have the cracks on the window surround. I took my truck in yesterday and they said the leak on mine is coming from the shark fin antenna. They're going to reseal the antenna and replace the 3rd brake light and the rear window because of the cracks.

Hi all,

Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message if you would be interested in further support as you work with your dealers. I would be happy to escalate your situations to a Case Manager which will provide the dealership and yourself with an individual who will review your concern, then assist you and the dealership in exhausting all available resources to have the concern addressed and resolved. Our team is always a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had my 2019 RAM Laramie for all of 2 months. It has leaked since I got it. Headliner is stained and carpet in the rear stays wet when it rains.
Things I have done:
  • Replaced seal on third brake light
  • Replaced entire third brake light assembly x2
  • Siliconed shark fin antenna
Still leaks. The area it leaks inside is to the left of the rear sliding window about 2 1/2" toward the passenger side shown in this photo.
View attachment 50286

Can anyone tell me what this is in the photo below? It seems to be raised up. Is that normal?
View attachment 50287
View attachment 50288

I do have a warranty, but I believe my deductible is $100, so I wanted to avoid that if possible. Any help would be appreciated.
Unfortunately I'm familiar with the area you've pointed out. There was no raised portion on mine, and yes, the rear window leaked and did NOT have a cracked frame. There's a STAR case on this which attributes the problem to "bubbles in the adhesive."

By the way, if purchased new your 2019 has a 36 month, 36,000 mile warranty on issues such as yours. You shouldn't pay anything for a rear window replacement.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 033709 miles.

ddharris

Reaction score
Its only during the rainy season this is a problem. No worries

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 58547 View attachment 58548

Pretty sure if you have a sunroof, you need to check the drains. That’s what causes the rear carpet to become wet.

Nos

Reaction score
This made me think... so I highly doubt my sunroof drains are clogged in the area I live in, so I went to look for where the sunroof drains exits are from the rear cab. One looks perfectly sealed, and the other, well, just isn’t there!

I’m assuming it’s draining behind the rear cab carpet as there is a hole in the rear cab where the grommet and drain pipe should be on the drivers side rear of the cab.

What kind of bogus QA/QC does Chrysler have on these vehicles? Just ridiculous. My dealer appointment is this coming Tuesday, a week and a half since calling for an appointment, which tells you all you need to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online