5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another MPG thread

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So looked at other threads, all of them seem to say the same thing. As far as the first trip. 70-80 MPH most of the time. And I go by writing everthing down and calculating it. Am in Texas so yea I do use the remote start but not often. This is just so different than my other three. All equipped the same. I Have the broken exhaust manifold and it's on a long national back order. So I may seriouley look at headers for it. Just was thinking of the going the computer route also.
If I go 80 mph in my Limited with the same build as you i'm getting 15-16 mpg.

Nothing wrong with my truck.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got back from a 1200 mile trip in my brand new '23 Bighorn with 3.21s. Got a hand calculated 20.5mpg on the whole trip. Several sea level to 5k' elevation changes, some 4x4 time going to elk camp, and hauling a dead elk home last night. A little bit of city but mostly highway at 65-78mph. 1400 miles on the truck, 1200 of them on this hunting trip.
Congrats on kill.
Bow hunting whitetails for me.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anytime you compare o0one truck/car to another, you are comparing apples to oranges. Every truck, even identical builds, is deferent. It is impossible to get the same performance from any two. Macheing differences, differences in electronics, driving style and geographic location and topography, tire size/pressures, loading, and speed just to name a few. Even if driven side by side there will be a deference. Sometimes I get better than other timed over the same road. Your mpg is what it is, and the only thing that can change it is changing one or more variables. You may gain, you may lose. But in the end, speed is the biggest factor.
You get what you get, so either live with it, or if mpg is that important, get a Tesla.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, in my opinion and experience (we also own a 2014 4th gen), the dirty little secret of the 5th gen Rams is that fuel economy is worse than 4th gen, even with all the fuel saving measures. Our 2020 Limited has all of the supposedly fuel saving options (E-torque, grill shutters, active air dam, etc.), while our 2014 has none of those. Other than that, they are very close in weight and identical in drivetrain.

2014 gets better mileage every day.
You seem to be speaking for all 5th gens, but mine, and many others regularly see over 20mpg. I have a 61mile drive to work, 95% freeway, upon which I set my cruise to 72-74mph. In the summer I average 20.9, hand calculated over many, many tanks full. In the winter I drop to about 19.5. I am very happy with these numbers.

The mystery to me is that it seems we either get one that gets over 20mpg regularly, or we get one that gets maybe 17-18 on a good day. I always read the MPG threads, hoping for new information, but this seems to be a consistent story, some are good, some are not so good. I consider myself one of the lucky ones.

Users who are viewing this thread