5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another MPG thread

papjuice

Reaction score
So first time posting here. Have 2020 Limited 5.7 4x4 with 3.92 gears. When i first got it we did a trip to Yellowstone and got 22-23 MPG. I just it 45,500 and did a trip this week and only got 15 on the highway. New tires same as what came on it. I do have a cracked manifold waiting on a new one to come in. Ex tech so I know this is causing some loss. But in town I average 11-13 which is bad. This is my 5th ram and non of them have had this bad of gas mileage. Have been thinking of doing a programmer or something. Am also thinking of getting the Stainless Works full headers and cat back exhaust. Any suggestion. I do drive slowly in town and watch how I accelerate and such.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, I will say your first trip lied to you. What you are getting now is going to be your standard and is what most of us all get with that set up.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Check your tire pressure? Did you also get an alignment?

With 3.92s and 33 inch highway tires I get 18 mpg at 75 mph, sweet spot is 55-60 mph with 22-24 mpg. Key is keeping revs below 2000 rpm

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
It wouldn't surprise me at all if you drove faster this time, rather than babying your new truck like the first time and
I have noticed that fuel economy falls off almost exponentially as the speed increases over 60. And I have 3.23 gears.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the mileage calculator uses a formula I;ve never been able to crack. Zeroing it when you gas up doesn't make you start from zero mpg. Nor does it calculate it for the entire time. If you're any good at math, read this old thread of mine. I haven't made any progress still How does it calculate mpg and range?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me at all if you drove faster this time, rather than babying your new truck like the first time and
I have noticed that fuel economy falls off almost exponentially as the speed increases over 60. And I have 3.23 gears.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the mileage calculator uses a formula I;ve never been able to crack. Zeroing it when you gas up doesn't make you start from zero mpg. Nor does it calculate it for the entire time. If you're any good at math, read this old thread of mine. I haven't made any progress still How does it calculate mpg and range?
How did you get 3.23 gears?

Murder Ram

Reaction score
My truck is brand spanking new and so far my best reading is 15 MPG !!!!
It's been pretty hot out so the air has been running but dam, we are way off the estimated MPG
And yes I will check out the other threads
Last year I rented a bohemoth Chevy suburban and was getting unbelievable gas milage out of it so I'm thinking they really refined these new vehicles around gas milage but NOT! when one assumes ~~~~~~

Snow White

Reaction score
When I had stock tires before I lifted my truck I would get up to 21-22 mpg on LONG Road Trips overall even with my heavy foot. Once I lifter my 2019 with 3.92 I'm now lucky to get 18 on a long trip if the wind is good to me. I average 12-14 with a lead foot daily driving and if I cruse I still get about the same. I would have to case traffic jams in So. Cal to put put for the best MPG. I just look the other way at the pump. Amazingly I seem to get a little better MPG when I have it in Performance Mode on my Pulsar Performance Module. Also Premium Fuel does help

23RAM

Reaction score
My truck is brand spanking new and so far my best reading is 15 MPG !!!!
My first few tanks was low as well, 12-15 average. But that was during break-in where I did a lot of heavy acceleration runs on the the highway ramps to ensure a good break-in process per the owner's manual. Plus there was a lot of idling time playing with the myriad of settings in the 12" display.
It's been pretty hot out so the air has been running but dam, we are way off the estimated MPG
Running the A/C doesn't really make any difference on today's vehicles. Keeping the windows closed helps with aerodynamics and improves mileage. Feel free to use the A/C and use cruise control on the highway.

EPA estimates are approximations of driving conditions. For my 2022 RAM 1500 4WD 5.7L estimated mileage is 15/17/21 according to the EPA (city/combined/hwy). Fuel mileage on the dash display is an average which includes idling in your driveway at 0 mpg, sitting at the grocery store at 0 mpg, etc. which the EPA does not factor in, they simply provide estimated mileage while driving in stop/go traffic, or free flowing highway.

If you want to know what you're actually getting while driving in the city and on the highway, you have a couple options. Use the "Current MPG" readout which shows live fuel consumption rate, or reset your A or B trip when you leave for a drive to work or on a highway trip. Pure highway cruise I've managed a best of 23.6 mpg on a 40 mile trip at 68 mph. Typical is 21-22. Pure city driving I've managed 18, but every city is different and where you drive greatly affects how much stop and go traffic you experience. My truck has 3.92 gears (I keep it under 2k rpm) so if you have 3.21 you can expect slightly better on the highway and at higher speeds, but driving style greatly affects it.

I'm beating the EPA mileage ratings and exceeding my expectations of the truck, so I'm happy.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Try to not remote start, idle, and use the cruise. This will help

Last edited:

23RAM

Reaction score
Try to not remote start, idle, and use the cruise. This will help
Yup...but I'm afraid I do it often - remote start and idle. When it's 100f outside and I want to get ice cream, I'm gonna use remote start. When the wife is going inside to get ice cream, idling happens.
😁

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yup...but I'm afraid I do it often - remote start and idle. When it's 100f outside and I want to get ice cream, I'm gonna use remote start. When the wife is going inside to get ice cream, idling happens.
😁
I do too. It affects your fuel economy, but it’s not something I worry about. It’ll make what it makes.

23RAM

Reaction score
I do too. It affects your fuel economy, but it’s not something I worry about.
Yes it really kills your average fuel economy and I know the truck gets decent mileage when I'm driving down the road, so it's all good.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes it really kills your average fuel economy and I know the truck gets decent mileage when I'm driving down the road, so it's all good.
Right. I watch my instant when I set the cruise sometimes just out of curiosity. If it reads way too low, at least I’ll know that somethings wrong.

papjuice

Reaction score
So looked at other threads, all of them seem to say the same thing. As far as the first trip. 70-80 MPH most of the time. And I go by writing everthing down and calculating it. Am in Texas so yea I do use the remote start but not often. This is just so different than my other three. All equipped the same. I Have the broken exhaust manifold and it's on a long national back order. So I may seriouley look at headers for it. Just was thinking of the going the computer route also.

papjuice

Reaction score
Well filled up today after vacation. The screen said 14.2, did my calculation from how many gallons vs how many miles I drove. Got a whopping 12.1 this is a combination of city and over 250 highway at 70 MPH with the cruise on .

spyder

Reaction score
I just got back from a 1200 mile trip in my brand new '23 Bighorn with 3.21s. Got a hand calculated 20.5mpg on the whole trip. Several sea level to 5k' elevation changes, some 4x4 time going to elk camp, and hauling a dead elk home last night. A little bit of city but mostly highway at 65-78mph. 1400 miles on the truck, 1200 of them on this hunting trip.

Reverse

Reaction score
Well, in my opinion and experience (we also own a 2014 4th gen), the dirty little secret of the 5th gen Rams is that fuel economy is worse than 4th gen, even with all the fuel saving measures. Our 2020 Limited has all of the supposedly fuel saving options (E-torque, grill shutters, active air dam, etc.), while our 2014 has none of those. Other than that, they are very close in weight and identical in drivetrain.

2014 gets better mileage every day.

Users who are viewing this thread