5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another ETorque problem

GaryT

Reaction score
Especially since they come with a measly 23 gallon tank.
Apparently not all, mine has a 26 gallon tank.

Media Hub–2 USB, Full Function / Charge Only Exterior Mirrors with Supplemental Signals Exterior Mirrors with Courtesy Lamps Google Android Auto™ Capable Heated Front Seats Heated Steering Wheel ParkSense® Front and Rear Park–Assist with Stop Power 4–Way Driver Lumbar Adjust Power 8–Way Driver Seat Power Adjustable Pedals Power–Folding Mirrors (N/A w/Trailer–Tow Mirrors) Rear Power Sliding–Window Rear Window Defroster Remote–Start System (N/A Manual Transmission) Single–Disc Remote CD Player SiriusXM® Sat Radio w/ 1–Yr Sub Call 800–643–2112 Universal Garage–Door Opener 5.7–Liter V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque Engine $2,645 26–Gallon Fuel Tank Active Noise–Control System Destination Charge $1,695

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From day 1 I never understood eTorque. $1,600 battery pack, $1,400 MGU, and all the associated wiring and additional coolant lines to make it work and what do you get out of it in the real world? "Better transmission shifting" on a world class transmission that's already buttery smooth? "Better start/stop feel" on a vehicle that already has one of the better start/stop functions on the market? Who cares? There is no real-world fuel mileage benefit AT ALL. But even if there were, even if somehow you could prove a 0.25 MPG gain, how much money did you save the first time that $1,400 MGU dies out of warranty or that battery pack decides to take a dump?

eTorque is a classic example of a gimmick. It says to the government "look at what we're proactively doing over here at FCA!" while the consumer gets a less reliable and more expensive vehicle.

Next time around I'll avoid eTorque AND the diesel. I'm going back to the K.I.S.S. principle.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wrong, nothing to do with CA, its a federal emission warranty. It is clear as a bell above and same as what RAM told me before I bought. 8 years for the generator and power pack. Can you post the fine print, love to see that.
Agreed. Federal means that it is only covered under the emissions warranty in 50 states.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The best I can get in city driving is 13.5mpg. The much less well equipped 2019 Bighorn 4x4 loaner they gave me without ETorque is getting 14.5 city, and actually feels more powerful.
Not to change the topic, but the weight difference between a Limited and Bighorn can be over 700 lbs. The higher mpg and more zip is due to lighter configuration of the Bighorn

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not to change the topic, but the weight difference between a Limited and Bighorn can be over 700 lbs. The higher mpg and more zip is due to lighter configuration of the Bighorn
That and the rear end. A 3.92 contributes to "zip", but it can be thirsty. My truck suffers from both conditions (very heavy and 3.92). But whatever...it's a great ride!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed. Federal means that it is only covered under the emissions warranty in 50 states.
Federal doesn't mean what you think it does. When I was in law enforcement they fully educated us on how state laws can override federal laws. This is why RAM stated "limited warranty" for emissions equipment... because it's the EPA that tried to set up those warranty requirements and although EPA is PART of the federal government...they have no law making capabilities. I'll post the links in a few...

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's the first one...
(ETorque is not considered an emissions-control part according to Mopar btw, but is in CA) that's where things get confusing...
Here's the second one...
ETorque not considered a MAJOR emissions component unless you're in a state that has mandated strict emissions control guidelines...again...like CA

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The terms "limited warranty" is there for a reason, otherwise it would just be called "warranty" or "UNlimited warranty" I'm saying all of this because it's true....not because I'm looking for arguments. If you guys don't want to believe me...fine. good luck with your "emission warranty repairs".

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In plain language (page 17 of your "All-New Ram 1500 Warranty Information" booklet:
View attachment 68620

And if you want to know what "...as set forth in Section 2.1.E" means, here's that too:
View attachment 68618

Pretty straightforward stuff....
Yes ..it says for a Federally approved state regarding emissions in section 5.2. which is clarified in the EPA. Do you even know if your state qualifies? Lol. This is what I mean...ppl read one line of text and suddenly they're experts lol.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes ..it says for a Federally approved state regarding emissions in section 5.2. which is clarified in the EPA. Do you even know if your state qualifies? Lol. This is what I mean...ppl read one line of text and suddenly they're experts lol.
It says, "...for a federally approved state or local emissions test...". Don't lump in the whole state in your quote. And yes, I do. Emissions testing is required in 17 Texas counties in compliance with "federally mandated clean air requirements", and I reside in one of them. Please stop spreading misinformation; I'm trying to help here.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It says, "...for a federally approved state or local emissions test...". Don't lump in the whole state in your quote. And yes, I do. Emissions testing is required in 17 Texas counties in compliance with "federally mandated clean air requirements", and I reside in one of them. Please stop spreading misinformation; I'm trying to help here.
It's the state that regulates and adopts emissions standards..not counties. But I did find out that 16 states do have them. Which means the emissions warranty is valid...
So we are both correct and incorrect. I'm not spreading misinformation...I did all of the actual research into the laws and Manufacturers claims. I posted this to resolve confusion...not create more of it. If you disagree...fine. but don't try to tell me that I'm flat out wrong...because that would be very short sighted of you.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those are federal warranty requirements, not what FCA does
That could be the distinction that's throwing me off. Funny thing though...I had an online chat with a FCA rep earlier today and she didn't even know what Etorque was lmao! But she did say she couldn't find any info in the warranty section for Etorque in their office...smh idk. Maybe Mopar office had more direct info.

Calsun

Reaction score
Thanks for the details RickJ. Of course if the repair costs are actually covered but the eTorque fails when you are out of town the costs for the towing and days at a motel and meals at restaurants and other expenses are not covered. If the failure of the eTorque results in a traffic accident the damage to your truck is also not covered by warranty. Any planned trips will be cancelled until the truck is fixed and deposits may be lost and that is at the customer's expense.

It is curious that so many people think that there exerience with the single car or truck or whatever that they own is universal and applies to thousands of other customers. I rely on websites like carcomplaints and the NHTSA for information about problems and also to learn how responsive various manufacturers are to fixing problems after the sale has been made.

At this time the eTorque is best described as a work in progress and I would be surprised if it is still provided on vehicles 5 years from now as there are far better solutions available.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the details RickJ. Of course if the repair costs are actually covered but the eTorque fails when you are out of town the costs for the towing and days at a motel and meals at restaurants and other expenses are not covered. If the failure of the eTorque results in a traffic accident the damage to your truck is also not covered by warranty. Any planned trips will be cancelled until the truck is fixed and deposits may be lost and that is at the customer's expense.

It is curious that so many people think that there exerience with the single car or truck or whatever that they own is universal and applies to thousands of other customers. I rely on websites like carcomplaints and the NHTSA for information about problems and also to learn how responsive various manufacturers are to fixing problems after the sale has been made.

At this time the eTorque is best described as a work in progress and I would be surprised if it is still provided on vehicles 5 years from now as there are far better solutions available.
What you wrote is true about a breakdown—of ANY part failure in the drivetrain. We still have AAA for such purposes, although our credit cards and even FCA (under the bumper to bumper warranty) offer various benefits.

In any case, I’m surprised to see folks nervous about a system that is (mechanically speaking) pretty simple and which has been in widespread use for 3+ model years now (starting with the 2018 Wrangler, I believe). Some members have even stated that they’d prefer a “true hybrid” for reliability...as if a P1-P3 hybrid is simpler and more robust!?!

But I agree with you on one thing...this P0 hybrid technology isn’t enough. FCA will find itself far behind if it doesn’t invest in hybrid/electric technology more aggressively.

withagoal31

Reaction score
Wanted to share my experience with ETorque system. I have a 2020 Limited model purchased October 2019 with just over 4000 miles. Battery voltage suddenly dropped and warning lights appeared on the display. Took it into dealer and at first they couldn’t figure out what the problem was. Then decided the “power pack” was bad and needed replaced. Was told it is a $10,000 part and had to be shipped hazardous materials. Part was supposed to arrive over 1 week ago and never appeared. Service guy said they had no way to track it either. Finally got another update that said it would be in 2 weeks after the original expected delivery date! So I will continue to be without my new truck for at least 3.5 weeks, more depending on how quickly they get it installed. Very disappointed in the whole process. I have also been disappointed with the ETorque system as a whole. I was expecting to get better city gas mileage and off line performance and I have seen neither. The best I can get in city driving is 13.5mpg. The much less well equipped 2019 Bighorn 4x4 loaner they gave me without ETorque is getting 14.5 city, and actually feels more powerful. As I mentioned before, this is a $10,000 part being replaced. The service guy said it is only covered by the 3 year bumper to bumper, but I’ve seen other posts where it might be covered under emissions for 8/80,000? If only the 3 year warranty coverage, I will definitely sell before warranty is up to avoid eating over 10 grand service bill. This is my first experience with Dodge, and right now I am not a happy customer.
Having the exact same issue with 6109 miles. First they said it was my battery. One week later I'm back at the dealership. Then they told me they need to reflash my computer. Came back not even after 10 minutes with my dash lit up like a Christmas tree. A week later they told me the eTorque generator failed. Part arrived last Monday May 17, 2021. Called them again today May 30. WTF is going on with my truck. Now they are telling me I need another part. A Hydra boost PTO. Was this what they told you? My vehicle has been in the shop for over two months now.

zlman

Reaction score
Eh. 18 months in my Ram, 2 issues.
1. Replaced starting battery.
2. Rear door window shattered, weird one.
I'm sorry about your troubles but **** happens, sux to be without your truck but supply issues plague the industry.

Users who are viewing this thread