5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another ETorque problem

Famdoc

Reaction score
Wanted to share my experience with ETorque system. I have a 2020 Limited model purchased October 2019 with just over 4000 miles. Battery voltage suddenly dropped and warning lights appeared on the display. Took it into dealer and at first they couldn’t figure out what the problem was. Then decided the “power pack” was bad and needed replaced. Was told it is a $10,000 part and had to be shipped hazardous materials. Part was supposed to arrive over 1 week ago and never appeared. Service guy said they had no way to track it either. Finally got another update that said it would be in 2 weeks after the original expected delivery date! So I will continue to be without my new truck for at least 3.5 weeks, more depending on how quickly they get it installed. Very disappointed in the whole process. I have also been disappointed with the ETorque system as a whole. I was expecting to get better city gas mileage and off line performance and I have seen neither. The best I can get in city driving is 13.5mpg. The much less well equipped 2019 Bighorn 4x4 loaner they gave me without ETorque is getting 14.5 city, and actually feels more powerful. As I mentioned before, this is a $10,000 part being replaced. The service guy said it is only covered by the 3 year bumper to bumper, but I’ve seen other posts where it might be covered under emissions for 8/80,000? If only the 3 year warranty coverage, I will definitely sell before warranty is up to avoid eating over 10 grand service bill. This is my first experience with Dodge, and right now I am not a happy customer.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the issue. Maybe elevate with RAM Cares to help track, someone must know where a costly part is located...

I’ve also read on the forum about the 8/80 so try to verify that for sure! Search here as well as check the other RAM forums. There are some strong ETorque proponents on the board so try asking them as well.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what so many are doing to get bad fuel mileage, I have an ETorque truck and knock on wood, its had no issues and I'm getting 18mpg in the city.
As for off the line performance, from what I've read and watched on youtube about the system, its not intended for that and the acceleration part of the system is off by 2000 rpm. Its only meant for a low engine speed torque boost. I can feel it in tip-in acceleration from a stop light and I can feel the power regenerative braking effect it has when slowing down below 20 mph.

The battery is hazardous shipping but its $1600
Power Pack Unit Battery Kit - Mopar (68372205AC)
Capture.JPG

Famdoc

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the power pack price. I have no idea why the service guy would tell me the part was 10 grand. I still don't know why it takes 3-4 weeks to get one in though. I'm wondering if my ETorque system/power pack was flawed from the beginning, and that's why my city gas mileage has been so poor. I don't baby my truck, but I'm not a lead foot either. I guess I can wait and see what happens after the new unit is installed.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^ Almost what Nibis said. No way I would buy an E-Torque, luckily, when I bought MY 19 in August 2018, no E-torques were out. Today, if I bought, no way I would do E-Torque. I sure as heck do not want ne stop/start stop nor a Generator with a 48 Volt power pack stuck in the truck with step downs to run truck 12V stuff. But this is just my thoughts, and all IMHO....

To the OP, stay up on the repairs, and maybe get RAM Cares involved. Also, just because it has happened/other PPL reported, watch out for water leaks from the CHMSL and rear window, dropping water on that pack behind the seat. Just a warning. ""No haters please, just informing the OP"""

ADDED: Dealer saying battery pack 10K, now that is funny, tho OP may not have thought so.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We’ve been down this road before...there’ve been a handful of the 30K+ members of this forum that have had eTorque issues. I ordered mine in May 2018 with it, and it’s operated flawlessly in the two years since I took delivery.

That said, I hope the OP’s issue is able to be resolved sooner rather than later!

Kidder

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the power pack price. I have no idea why the service guy would tell me the part was 10 grand. I still don't know why it takes 3-4 weeks to get one in though. I'm wondering if my ETorque system/power pack was flawed from the beginning, and that's why my city gas mileage has been so poor. I don't baby my truck, but I'm not a lead foot either. I guess I can wait and see what happens after the new unit is installed.
Because your service manager is full of crap and probably didn't order one to begin with and conveniently lost the tracking number.

I haven't had any problems with my eTorque. Gas mileage isn't any better than a regular Hemi. I do like the start/stop, though.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wanted to share my experience with ETorque system. I have a 2020 Limited model purchased October 2019 with just over 4000 miles. Battery voltage suddenly dropped and warning lights appeared on the display. Took it into dealer and at first they couldn’t figure out what the problem was. Then decided the “power pack” was bad and needed replaced. Was told it is a $10,000 part and had to be shipped hazardous materials. Part was supposed to arrive over 1 week ago and never appeared. Service guy said they had no way to track it either. Finally got another update that said it would be in 2 weeks after the original expected delivery date! So I will continue to be without my new truck for at least 3.5 weeks, more depending on how quickly they get it installed. Very disappointed in the whole process. I have also been disappointed with the ETorque system as a whole. I was expecting to get better city gas mileage and off line performance and I have seen neither. The best I can get in city driving is 13.5mpg. The much less well equipped 2019 Bighorn 4x4 loaner they gave me without ETorque is getting 14.5 city, and actually feels more powerful. As I mentioned before, this is a $10,000 part being replaced. The service guy said it is only covered by the 3 year bumper to bumper, but I’ve seen other posts where it might be covered under emissions for 8/80,000? If only the 3 year warranty coverage, I will definitely sell before warranty is up to avoid eating over 10 grand service bill. This is my first experience with Dodge, and right now I am not a happy customer.
Your service center is filled with lying $hits. It's not $10 And it IS covered under Emissions warranty because that's one of the selling points of the Etorque...the less emissions point lol. Another thing though...it's possibly that your Etorque could've been faulty from the beginning...it does happen. My Etorque Hemi has been nothing but a good experience. Sorry that this is happening man!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If it's so easy for them to lie about the cost of a replacement part (under warranty even), what else will they lie about? Don't just walk away from that dealership...run! I don't remember a service adviser ever giving me the price of a part that's covered under warranty unless I asked.

My daughter's 2019 Rebel had the 48v battery fail about a month after she bought it. Then it sat in the shop for almost a month before they received the replacement part. But that made a little more sense since it happened in Sept. 2018, and the etorque system was brand new. We weren't surprised that the battery was not readily available. Makes less sense now that the system has been in production for a couple of years.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a heads up for anyone who's interested...the Etorque component is only covered under the emissions warranty IF you live in a emissions strict state (like California). In other states; FCA is not required to cover an emissions part that's outside of warranty. But Etorque is covered under PowerTrain warranty...just found this out an hour ago from Ram and a third party site.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
24000 on an E-Torque and no problems. In Tuscom a couple of winters ago we got close to 20 in town, but they have 40mph boulevards, so that helped.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
24000 on an E-Torque and no problems. In Tuscom a couple of winters ago we got close to 20 in town, but they have 40mph boulevards, so that helped.
Nice! Got 22,000 miles on mine...no issues here. Damn good highway mpg too! (Especially for a 4wd Hemi)

Rick J

Reaction score
Just a heads up for anyone who's interested...the Etorque component is only covered under the emissions warranty IF you live in a emissions strict state (like California). In other states; FCA is not required to cover an emissions part that's outside of warranty. But Etorque is covered under PowerTrain warranty...just found this out an hour ago from Ram and a third party site.
Don't think so. I asked the questions when I bought my extended warranty because it doesn't cover etorque motor or battery.

From the Ram Warranty book:
5.1 Federal Emission Warranty
A. Parts Covered For 2 Years Or 24,000 Miles. Federal law requires FCA US to warrant the following emissions parts for 2 years or 24,000 miles, whichever occurs first. FCA US covers all of these parts under the Basic Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
The All New Ram 1500 — Gas
• Air system controls
• Electronic fuel injection system, including injector
• Evaporative-emission canister and controls
• Exhaust manifold
• Exhaust gas recirculation valve and control system
• Exhaust pipes (between exhaust manifold and catalyst)
• Fuel cap and tank assembly, pump, and fuel lines
• Ignition system
• Intake manifold
• On-board diagnostic-system components
• Oxygen sensors
• Positive Crankcase-Ventilation (PCV) valve or orifice
• Secondary ignition wires
• Spark plugs
• Throttle body
• Transmission-Control Module
• Vacuum hoses, clamps, and fittings, as well as tubing used for these components
• Vacuum, temperature, altitude, speed, time-sensitive valves, sensors, and switches used in these components and systems

B. Parts Covered For 8 Years Or 80,000 Miles
If your vehicle has one of the following parts, this Federal Emission Warranty covers that part for a period of 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, calculated from the start of the Basic Limited Warranty as set forth in Section 2.1 E.
The covered parts are:
Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator Assembly
• Catalytic Converter
• Powertrain Control Module
• Power Pack Unit - 48 Volts

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't think so. I asked the questions when I bought my extended warranty because it doesn't cover etorque motor or battery.

From the Ram Warranty book:
5.1 Federal Emission Warranty
A. Parts Covered For 2 Years Or 24,000 Miles. Federal law requires FCA US to warrant the following emissions parts for 2 years or 24,000 miles, whichever occurs first. FCA US covers all of these parts under the Basic Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
The All New Ram 1500 — Gas
• Air system controls
• Electronic fuel injection system, including injector
• Evaporative-emission canister and controls
• Exhaust manifold
• Exhaust gas recirculation valve and control system
• Exhaust pipes (between exhaust manifold and catalyst)
• Fuel cap and tank assembly, pump, and fuel lines
• Ignition system
• Intake manifold
• On-board diagnostic-system components
• Oxygen sensors
• Positive Crankcase-Ventilation (PCV) valve or orifice
• Secondary ignition wires
• Spark plugs
• Throttle body
• Transmission-Control Module
• Vacuum hoses, clamps, and fittings, as well as tubing used for these components
• Vacuum, temperature, altitude, speed, time-sensitive valves, sensors, and switches used in these components and systems

B. Parts Covered For 8 Years Or 80,000 Miles
If your vehicle has one of the following parts, this Federal Emission Warranty covers that part for a period of 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, calculated from the start of the Basic Limited Warranty as set forth in Section 2.1 E.
The covered parts are:
Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator Assembly
• Catalytic Converter
• Powertrain Control Module
• Power Pack Unit - 48 Volts
Ah but there's the fine print you failed to mention in your post...federal emissions warranty only effects states that are under the strict emissions testing and California was the main example in that text. Sorry man...I really wish you were correct in this but unfortunately RAM disagrees with you...and so does the Federal Government.

You were lied to. ETorque is absolutely covered under the PowerTrain warranty and not emissions warranty unless you're in a certain state. My previous post was mentioning facts because many ppl were confused and I posted the definite answer. I'll look for the link and post it maybe tomorrow

Keezer

Reaction score
Ah but there's the fine print you failed to mention in your post...federal emissions warranty only effects states that are under the strict emissions testing and California was the main example in that text. Sorry man...I really wish you were correct in this but unfortunately RAM disagrees with you...and so does the Federal Government.

You were lied to. ETorque is absolutely covered under the PowerTrain warranty and not emissions warranty unless you're in a certain state. My previous post was mentioning facts because many ppl were confused and I posted the definite answer. I'll look for the link and post it maybe tomorrow
Wrong, nothing to do with CA, its a federal emission warranty. It is clear as a bell above and same as what RAM told me before I bought. 8 years for the generator and power pack. Can you post the fine print, love to see that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/