5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another canada DRL question

4play

Reaction score
Hey yall. So I purchased a 2023 PW and it's a Canadian truck so that means no off position on the headlight switch, with alfaobd I did manage to get just the accent lights to be on. Plus I activated to option in the radio for DRL on and off, which does absolutely nothing. Even when I select no DRL at all, I still get a DRL. So I found a loaded American PW vin number, and orderd up an American headlight switch with the off position. It's only around 100 bucks canadian for the switch, anyone know if that's the missing piece of the puzzle so I can be more American and have the freedom to choose?

23RAM

Reaction score
Hey yall. So I purchased a 2023 PW and it's a Canadian truck so that means no off position on the headlight switch, with alfaobd I did manage to get just the accent lights to be on. Plus I activated to option in the radio for DRL on and off, which does absolutely nothing. Even when I select no DRL at all, I still get a DRL. So I found a loaded American PW vin number, and orderd up an American headlight switch with the off position. It's only around 100 bucks canadian for the switch, anyone know if that's the missing piece of the puzzle so I can be more American and have the freedom to choose?
In Canada DRL is a legal requirement and may be hard to change or alter without programming or changing relays, etc. It might cost more than it's worth.

Years ago I didn't like the idea of DRL on our vehicles, but had to live with it and moved on with my life. But today, there's so many idiots on the road calling, texting, etc., I'm glad to have DRL and think all vehicles should have it...it really does make your vehicle more visible.
YMMV.
:)
PS - if you're in Canada, DRL is a legal requirement and defeating it could result in an "improper lights" ticket if you get stopped, plus a possible "offroad modification" ticket since you purposely changed the factory lighting (that one is harder to prove).

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, you need to get the US market headlight switch so you’ll have a way to turn off your headlights normally.
You’ll also make sure to set CBC Features: Tunnel Detection to no if it is currently set to yes.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Turning off your DRL's in a country where everybody expects them to be on only endangers your own life as other half wits might not see you as readily. Is that really what you want to do?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Turning off your DRL's in a country where everybody expects them to be on only endangers your own life as other half wits might not see you as readily. Is that really what you want to do?
He never said he lived in Canada.
I saw a bunch of trucks from Canada for sale in the US as my friend is looking for a used Ram and I had to let him know about the caveats like special order parts, in-compatibility with USA trucks and possible problem at dealerships getting work done as the software can be differnet on some parts.

silver billet

Reaction score
I saw a bunch of trucks from Canada for sale in the US as my friend is looking for a used Ram and I had to let him know about the caveats like special order parts, in-compatibility with USA trucks and possible problem at dealerships getting work done as the software can be differnet on some parts.

Fair enough. Do you guys not normally have DRL's enabled?

Still think it's a dumb idea to run with them off regardless.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Fair enough. Do you guys not normally have DRL's enabled?

Still think it's a dumb idea to run with them off regardless.
Depends on the car\truck.
Lots of time it's on by default on newer cars\trucks.
Most if not all states have laws for lights when dark, and a handful have it required "if wipers are needed" during the rain.

I never minded DRL, and generally if you have DRL you have auto lights and you don't ever gota hit your light button.
It is useful depending on what you're doing to be able to turn off your lights, camping, hunter, just sitting in a parking lot or whatever and don't want to blind everyone.

4play

Reaction score
Since I've bought a Dodge ram I've never had so much *****, I can't bring them home because my wife will device me and probably take my dodge, so I need to be able to black out in random parking lots so I don't draw attention to myself

6of36

Reaction score
He priced the switch in Canadian dollars, so I would assume he's Canadian too.

6of36

Reaction score
Depends on the car\truck.
Lots of time it's on by default on newer cars\trucks.
Most if not all states have laws for lights when dark, and a handful have it required "if wipers are needed" during the rain.

I never minded DRL, and generally if you have DRL you have auto lights and you don't ever gota hit your light button.
It is useful depending on what you're doing to be able to turn off your lights, camping, hunter, just sitting in a parking lot or whatever and don't want to blind everyone.
There are millions of cars out there with DRLs and not auto on lights. Every day I see some idiod driving at night with only DRLs. They should have made them standard , but didn't. It makes it worse, because they made the dash light up with ignition, which was the dumbest regulation ever. They see the dash lit, and dim lighting, and think the lights are on.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Since I've bought a Dodge ram I've never had so much *****, I can't bring them home because my wife will device me and probably take my dodge, so I need to be able to black out in random parking lots so I don't draw attention to myself
Well this thread got bad pretty quickly...

Users who are viewing this thread