5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another 6 speaker question..

ghostface

Reaction score
Sorry, I have the Alpine. I saw you talking about 3 speakers on the dash and just assumed. If you have the base system, you just have two in the dash, and one in each door. Sorry for the confusion.
No problem! Even with the base, I thought there was three in the dash. Tweeter in each corner then the center mesh/plastic grill cover. Unless that's just for show..

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No problem! Even with the base, I thought there was three in the dash. Tweeter in each corner then the center mesh/plastic grill cover. Unless that's just for show..
Nothing under there speaker wise. I think they make the cutouts for the dash the same regardless of which system. I had the base 6 speaker system in my 2013 and nothing was there.

ghostface

Reaction score
Nothing under there speaker wise. I think they make the cutouts for the dash the same regardless of which system. I had the base 6 speaker system in my 2013 and nothing was there.
Alrighty well thanks for all the info! This was a huge help. :)

EStein

Reaction score
I really want to upgrade my stock 6 speakers. I have read through the entire large thread and just want a clear answer.

Without any other modifications, will I be able to tell a noticeable difference by upgrading my 6 stock speakers? No add ons, no ANC changes, just changing out the speakers.

Prob beating a dead horse here but here is my basic answer. So much info on this forum.

I have the same basic 6 speaker system. Went with JBLGX speakers from Crutchfield. Right now they are on clearance. Super cheap.

Replaced with:

JBL GX302 3.5 dash $39/pr
JBL GX963 6x9 4 doors $69.99/pr

The wiring harness Crutchfield will include free is

Dash. Metra 72-7902
Doors. Metra 71-050

I’ve seen a different Metra harness recommended on this forum for the doors. I wonder if that is why there have been issues with wiring backwards and ANC issues ... The one Crutchfield recommends works perfect. Did not have to swap the wires. That’s just my experience.

I’m not a total audiophile but I will say the sound difference is incredible. I can now pump up some good ‘ol 80s rock without any distortion!

Crutchfield will say that the speakers don’t fit but it’s only because of the mounting brackets. Just take some tinsnips or wire cutters and trim off the edge is all that’s required for the 3.5s and widening out the mounting holes on the 6 x 9’s just a little. May sound confusing but the lightbulb will go off when you actually see it. Also a write up on the forum shows exactly where to cut. Super easy. Crutchfield will throw the wiring harnesses in for free but you will need to talk to an actual sales person. (again because of the non-fit issue the computer won’t include the free harnesses) They are great to work with. Really, super easy. Search the forums for the sweet write up on removing the door panels. Hardest part.

Just look at the difference between stock and JBL 302.

33C2C234-50BE-4D7D-B36F-2BD6BBA33AA5.jpeg

CrookedLetta

Reaction score
Prob beating a dead horse here but here is my basic answer. So much info on this forum.

I have the same basic 6 speaker system. Went with JBLGX speakers from Crutchfield. Right now they are on clearance. Super cheap.

Replaced with:

Dash. Metra 72-7902
Doors. Metra 71-050

I’ve seen a different Metra harness recommended on this forum for the doors. I wonder if that is why there have been issues with wiring backwards and ANC issues ... The one Crutchfield recommends works perfect. Did not have to swap the wires. That’s just my experience.

I’m not a total audiophile but I will say the sound difference is incredible. I can now pump up some good ‘ol 80s rock without any distortion!

Crutchfield will say that the speakers don’t fit but it’s only because of the mounting brackets. Just take some tinsnips or wire cutters and trim off the edge is all that’s required for the 3.5s and widening out the mounting holes on the 6 x 9’s just a little. May sound confusing but the lightbulb will go off when you actually see it. Also a write up on the forum shows exactly where to cut. Super easy. Crutchfield will throw the wiring harnesses in for free but you will need to talk to an actual sales person. (again because of the non-fit issue the computer won’t include the free harnesses) They are great to work with. Really, super easy. Search the forums for the sweet write up on removing the door panels. Hardest part.

View attachment 12047

Did you touch the ANC at all?

Reaction score
I swapped mine and had no anc issues. Added a sub today and disconnected the anc. I can't tell the difference.

Can you share any details on your sub install? I assume you have he 6speajer setup; how did you integrate it?

bushyfan24

Reaction score
I purchased the same speakers and adapters as EStein. I was going to have them installed because if any one will mess up the door panel on a brand new truck...it's me.

Anyway, when I talked to installer he said the full range speakers will not work in fronts and will "pop" because they only play low freq range .

I'm just confirming that these work?

Thanks

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased the same speakers and adapters as EStein. I was going to have them installed because if any one will mess up the door panel on a brand new truck...it's me.

Anyway, when I talked to installer he said the full range speakers will not work in fronts and will "pop" because they only play low freq range .

I'm just confirming that these work?

Thanks
They will work. if you have the base 6 speaker system the fronts are full range. I believe it is only on the Alpine that the fronts are for bass only. @Billet1500 4x4 has changes his fronts out in the Alpine system with JBL GX962s and after getting the polarity right and doing some things to fix the rattles (that are also there with the stock speakers) it sounded much better than stock. I have some JBL GX963s I will be putting in the front door hopefully this weekend and I have the Alpine. I've had them sitting for a couple months just haven't had a chance to install them.

bushyfan24

Reaction score
They will work. if you have the base 6 speaker system the fronts are full range. I believe it is only on the Alpine that the fronts are for bass only. @Billet1500 4x4 has changes his fronts out in the Alpine system with JBL GX962s and after getting the polarity right and doing some things to fix the rattles (that are also there with the stock speakers) it sounded much better than stock. I have some JBL GX963s I will be putting in the front door hopefully this weekend and I have the Alpine. I've had them sitting for a couple months just haven't had a chance to install them.

Thanks

bushyfan24

Reaction score
Got all 6 speakers installed using same models in EStein's post.

JBL GX302
JBL GX963

Metra 72-7902
Metra 71-050

No problem w/ANC and I'm really surprised by the improvement over stock with just speakers.

Bleda2002

Reaction score
Active Noise Cancelling. It means there are mics listening and the system uses that to actively play a counter signal.

Leadbedr

Reaction score
Got all 6 speakers installed using same models in EStein's post.

JBL GX302
JBL GX963

Metra 72-7902
Metra 71-050

No problem w/ANC and I'm really surprised by the improvement over stock with just speakers.

Have you driven yet? I didnt notice anything until me first drive when the ANC kicks on

Jmsmith716

Reaction score

Replaced with:

Dash. Metra 72-7902
Doors. Metra 71-050

View attachment 12047
Do you know why crutchfield lists a 6 1/2” speaker for the doors as well? I’m confused on what size to buy.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you know why crutchfield lists a 6 1/2” speaker for the doors as well? I’m confused on what size to buy.
6x9s are the factory size speakers. They list 6.5s as alot of people like to run adapter plates and put them in instead.

EStein

Reaction score

I’m thinking because they aren’t an exact fit as far as the screw holes. I had to do some minor modifications to line up the holes in the doors. Basically I just had to elongate two of the holes to fit a screw in. Really easy. Crutchfield is great but unless you actually talk to a sales rep that knows what they’re doing, they wont suggest that you modify their parts. Some people aren’t capable of doing that. Not a criticism, just saying…

Users who are viewing this thread