5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another 6 speaker question..

CMags

Reaction score
For the 3.5 dash, it seems they are wired in parallel to the front doors. Is there any passive crossover, and/or were bass blokers required on the 3.5" ?

Chrisplm

Reaction score
For the 3.5 dash, it seems they are wired in parallel to the front doors. Is there any passive crossover, and/or were bass blokers required on the 3.5" ?

I didn't see anyone else on this thread say they used base blockers, but when I installed the GX302s last week, it was apparent I definitely need them. The GX302s would crack and pop at bass volume levels that didn't bother the stock speakers at all. I have a set of blockers coming from Crutchfield this week.
(Currently the GX302s are the only mod to my stock 6 speaker system)

lrobbi

Reaction score
I didn't see anyone else on this thread say they used base blockers, but when I installed the GX302s last week, it was apparent I definitely need them. The GX302s would crack and pop at bass volume levels that didn't bother the stock speakers at all. I have a set of blockers coming from Crutchfield this week.
(Currently the GX302s are the only mod to my stock 6 speaker system)
I actually did use base blockers on my dash 3.5 Hertz speakers. I need to look again, I believe I used the 150 htz cut off.

grooves12

Reaction score
I put the GX302s in my truck in combination with CDT CL-69S.2 in all 4 doors. I think the 2-ohm 3.5s are getting too much power in comparison to the door speakers in this combination, since they are wired in parallel. There is almost no bass from the 6x9s and the highs from the dash are overly harsh. It required me to up the bass on the EQ to near max and cut the mids and highs downwards to get it to reasonable sound quality, but I'm still not happy with the combination even after the adjustments. I'm planning on swapping out the JBL 3.5s to a 4-ohm set and see how that works.

I know many on this forum like the GX302s, but many of them have the Apline system. This makes sense because the stock dash speakers are 2-ohm in that combo vs. 8-ohm in the base system and they have additional processing/crossovers/amplifiers to address that. However, for the base system I don't think they are a good option. They are a definite improvement in quality, it just is not a good balance when mixed with the rest of the system.

Last edited:

Leadbedr

Reaction score
I put the GX302s in my truck in combination with CDT CL-69S.2 in all 4 doors. I think the 2-ohm 3.5s are getting too much power in comparison to the door speakers in this combination, since they are wired in parallel. There is almost no bass from the 6x9s and the highs from the dash are overly harsh. It required me to up the bass on the EQ to near max and cut the mids and highs downwards to get it to reasonable sound quality, but I'm still not happy with the combination even after the adjustments. I'm planning on swapping out the JBL 3.5s to a 4-ohm set and see how that works.

I know many on this forum like the GX302s, but many of them have the Apline system. This makes sense because the stock dash speakers are 2-ohm in that combo vs. 8-ohm in the base system and they have additional processing/crossovers/amplifiers to address that. However, for the base system I don't think they are a good option. They are a definite improvement in quality, it just is not a good balance when mixed with the rest of the system.

Are your doors wired correctly?

grooves12

Reaction score
Are your doors wired correctly?

Yes. I tested the polarity of all speakers and ensured they matched when they were swapped out. No changes were needed to any of the speakers using the Metra 71-050 adapters on the doors and 72-7902 on the dash.

Leadbedr

Reaction score
Yes. I tested the polarity of all speakers and ensured they matched when they were swapped out. No changes were needed to any of the speakers using the Metra 71-050 adapters on the doors and 72-7902 on the dash.

I put the JBLs in my front doors and dash, the bass about doubled.

C.AdamsMo.RAM

Reaction score
Have u swapped your dash speakers yet for the 4ohm ones you mentioned? If so, any improvement over the first set you put in?

Users who are viewing this thread