5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another 6 speaker question..

CrookedLetta

Reaction score
I really want to upgrade my stock 6 speakers. I have read through the entire large thread and just want a clear answer.

Without any other modifications, will I be able to tell a noticeable difference by upgrading my 6 stock speakers? No add ons, no ANC changes, just changing out the speakers.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you read my posts on the simple speaker swap then you already know the clear answer is... probably! I did, but I had to disconnect the ANC. Others have not had to do so. We are all experimenting to some extent, but many have reported improvements.

ghostface

Reaction score
Agree with you @CrookedLetta

I think there's a ton of great information in some of those threads, the only difficult thing is that some of the are 10+ pages and I have read through so many at this point where all I want to know is the base big horn without the fancy alpine or harman speaker upgrades, what options/paths do we have?

If it's viable to just swap out the door speakers and have a noticeable difference without other modifications/amp additions then great, that is what I'm really trying to see.

Leadbedr

Reaction score
I changed the dash and doors to the JBL's.
They do sound better and maybe a little bit louder
For less than $100 from crutchfield, its worth it.
Just make sure you fix the metra plugs first. I didn't disconnect my ANC and have zero issues with it.
You're going to have to add an amp if you want to really get better sound.

jmpow79`

Reaction score
I swapped mine and had no anc issues. Added a sub today and disconnected the anc. I can't tell the difference.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree with you @CrookedLetta

I think there's a ton of great information in some of those threads, the only difficult thing is that some of the are 10+ pages and I have read through so many at this point where all I want to know is the base big horn without the fancy alpine or harman speaker upgrades, what options/paths do we have?

If it's viable to just swap out the door speakers and have a noticeable difference without other modifications/amp additions then great, that is what I'm really trying to see.

You will have a noticeable difference swapping out the door speakers, no matter what system you have. I had the base system in my 2013 Ram and swapped the door speakers out, as well as the dash and it was a noticeable improvement as long as you put the proper speakers in.

Jsvt3

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I changed the dash and doors to the JBL's.
They do sound better and maybe a little bit louder
For less than $100 from crutchfield, its worth it.
Just make sure you fix the metra plugs first. I didn't disconnect my ANC and have zero issues with it.
You're going to have to add an amp if you want to really get better sound.

Which JBLs did you go with? Also, what needs to be done with the plugs. I tried searching but came up empty. Thanks!

Leadbedr

Reaction score

ghostface

Reaction score
Doors

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109GX962/JBL-GX962.html

Dash

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109GX302/JBL-GX302.html

Whether its the metra plugs or Dodge's wire, they are reversed.
You just have to pop out the wire on the metra and switch them

I am a bit confused on this, what do you mean by that exactly? Are they intentionally reversed? Are they just reversed on the JBL's that you got?

Also, to the people that have had done more research so far, are there any good write-ups or directions you could steer us down towards replacing these speakers (in terms of door panel removal, installation, etc...)?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am a bit confused on this, what do you mean by that exactly? Are they intentionally reversed? Are they just reversed on the JBL's that you got?

Also, to the people that have had done more research so far, are there any good write-ups or directions you could steer us down towards replacing these speakers (in terms of door panel removal, installation, etc...)?
It appears the wiring diagrams everybody uses are wrong, so if you use the metra adapters you need to repin them in reverse or they are out of phase.

For door panel removal -
One bolt behind the cover where the door panel is.
Two bolts in the panel just a little under that.
Start prying the panel off from the bottom outside corner. It is on very tight and will take some force. You will think you are about to break it. Once you pop one fastener out, the others go easy. Be careful about halfway up the door panel. It is actually in two pieces and held together by a few pins. Make sure you grab the proper piece you are pulling on.

ghostface

Reaction score
@ksn240 awesome, thanks for the details! Much appreciated. I guess I will just have to wait and see whenever I go to do it. Too much speculation makes me overthink it ;)

Leadbedr

Reaction score
@ksn240 awesome, thanks for the details! Much appreciated. I guess I will just have to wait and see whenever I go to do it. Too much speculation makes me overthink it ;)

I was the same. Its really pretty simple. It take less than an hour to change out the dash and the doors. Depending on how hard the metra are to get the plug out.

ghostface

Reaction score
Hey guys, I got the two links for the door speakers and the dash speakers. Dumb question but there is three speakers on the dash, right? The center, then the two tweeters. Are you guys just replacing the center or also the tweets by the pillars?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got the two links for the door speakers and the dash speakers. Dumb question but there is three speakers on the dash, right? The center, then the two tweeters. Are you guys just replacing the center or also the tweets by the pillars?
I replaced all three, and I think most people here have been. Requires you to buy 2 pairs and have 1 speaker leftover.

ghostface

Reaction score
JBL GX302s all along the dash. Also put them in the rear headliner.
Wait wait wait, lol... rear headliner? I have the bighorn with just the base everything so no audio upgrades. I don't recall seeing anything on the roof in terms of speakers.. hahah maybe mine just doesn't have that?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wait wait wait, lol... rear headliner? I have the bighorn with just the base everything so no audio upgrades. I don't recall seeing anything on the roof in terms of speakers.. hahah maybe mine just doesn't have that?
Sorry, I have the Alpine. I saw you talking about 3 speakers on the dash and just assumed. If you have the base system, you just have two in the dash, and one in each door. Sorry for the confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread