5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Annoying Uconnect Glitches

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
On the one hand, I'm optimistic hearing that some of you have found an update that resolved some of these issues. On the other, why does my VIN show up as up to date?

I work in software, so maybe my expectations are high, but when all of your users are on controlled hardware and software, it's not that difficult to eliminate major bugs... or at least for all users to experience the same issues.

My thoughts exactly. I work in IT, and it shouldn’t take this long to resolve issues/bugs. If I was in their situation, I would have been fired by now.

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
Took mine in for the recall, Thursday.
I had them do the firmware update (first dealer said they don't update, automatic over the air).
After a day and a half, I got it back and the USB acts as expected.
Waiting to see if it will keep my speed dial presets.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

John Galt

Reaction score
Hey, I just joined this forum because I was searching to my Uconnect problem and looks like you guys are having it too.

I have a 2019 Durango RT with the 8.4NAV.

I have a hefty music collection of about 195 artists and close to 30k songs (just under 300 gigs). I was able to get the HU to read the 512GB drive (NTFS formatted), but no matter how I slice it Uconnect says I have 9255 songs. I THINK it can actually see the entire collection, because I've tried looking up random songs either by artist or some other tag, and they all appear to be there. I haven't been able to find anything missing, but if I go to "all songs", it says I have 9255 and random play only sees 9255 songs.

Has anyone figured out how to get Uconnect to see all your music? My current directory layout is 196 artist directories, under those are albums, and under those songs (in some cases there is an extra level for disc number).

another annoyance - UConnect sorts by the "artist" tag, not "album artist", so albums that have multiple composers show up under multiple artists. I may need to write a script to copy the artist tag to the album artist tag because the thought of manually changing thousands of albums makes me shudder.

John Galt

Reaction score
Update in case anyone cares:

So I messed around with my music collection and here's what I've discovered:

1) there appears to be a 20,000 songs hard limit on Uconnect, at least there is on my 2019 Durango R/T with the upgraded HK audio. No matter how I break up my collection it will NOT see more than 20,000.
2) some music files have unusual characters in their metadata. When Uconnect encounters them, it ignores the file. We're talking about things like slashes, foreign characters and accent marks, asterisks, things used in scripts and if not escaped properly within the script can cause it to fail...cause whoever wrote the Uconnect software did NOT escape special characters properly.
3) some music filenames have characters that Uconnect doesn't like - for the same reason as #2. Newer versions of Windows and MacOS are very forgiving about filenames. Other OSes are not.
4) the fewer directories you have the faster Unconnect scans.
5) USB3 and fast flash makes things MUCH faster. (I used a very fast microSD card and a USB3 card reader - it was much faster than slower flash devices and regular USB).

If you have a Windows machine you can use mp3tag, a very powerful and free tag/file editor. I was able to load my entire collection into mp3tag at the same time, identify all the "bad" characters and create scripts to apply fixes to the entire collection.

general process:

I made a copy of my music collection to the USB device.

I used mp3tag to copy the "album artist" to the "artist" field in the metadata tag because Uconnect uses the "artist" field to sort.

I then used mp3tag to rename all my music using artist-album-year-tracknumber-trackname format and move them to a single directory.

After this process Uconnect was able to see 20,000 songs. I had to cut my collection down below 20,000 songs.

Things I haven't tried but might be worth a shot: use a USB hub to put music on 2 flash drives - probably won't help.

Placing all files in a single directory got the scan time for 20,000 songs to about 30-45 seconds. The scan only happens if I remove the USB device, otherwise it's ready to play as soon as I turn on the HU.

Last edited:

Kungfubhuda

Reaction score
Took mine in for the recall, Thursday.
I had them do the firmware update (first dealer said they don't update, automatic over the air).
After a day and a half, I got it back and the USB acts as expected.
Waiting to see if it will keep my speed dial presets.

I finally got around to scheduling an appointment for the recalls, and asked about an update that a UConnect customer service rep told me to bring to a dealer for, but the dealer told me that all software updates are done automatically over the air. Did you just have to call a few different dealers? Or is there a different strategy I need to find?

I'd love for my USB (among other things) to actually be useful.

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
I finally got around to scheduling an appointment for the recalls, and asked about an update that a UConnect customer service rep told me to bring to a dealer for, but the dealer told me that all software updates are done automatically over the air. Did you just have to call a few different dealers? Or is there a different strategy I need to find?

I'd love for my USB (among other things) to actually be useful.

I just took it to my closest dealer. I bought it from another dealer (told me it was over the air) about 10 miles away. Ask to speak to the service manager. The Service Advisor (actually scheduled the update) said he did not know why the other dealership told me that unless that service advisor did no have access to that part of the system. He said his manager gives them access to everything so they can find those kinds of issues. He said there isn't a code or anything that I could bring back here to share to simplify this.

There is another thread here about the 8.4 is manual (dealer only) updates...8.4C is the over-the-air update.

Kungfubhuda

Reaction score
I just took it to my closest dealer. I bought it from another dealer (told me it was over the air) about 10 miles away. Ask to speak to the service manager. The Service Advisor (actually scheduled the update) said he did not know why the other dealership told me that unless that service advisor did no have access to that part of the system. He said his manager gives them access to everything so they can find those kinds of issues. He said there isn't a code or anything that I could bring back here to share to simplify this.

There is another thread here about the 8.4 is manual (dealer only) updates...8.4C is the over-the-air update.

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll call another dealer.

Bigblue679

Reaction score
Starting to think the same thing. I’ve been having audio cutting in/out issues with mine, and no one (FCA, dealer, us on the forum) have been able to figure it out.

Users on the JL Wrangler forum have the same issue as I do, and one member said after deleting all paired phones and pulling the radio fuse to reset power, his issues went away. After 2-3 weeks of being issue free, he connected his phone (iPhone) and his issues reappeared.

I’ve done the same thing (delete phones, then pulled the negative terminal on the battery for 2 minutes). We’ll see how this goes. I’ve been experiencing my issues nearly everyday.
I am having the same issues loud pop in the speakers when I get a text audio cutting in and out now my driver's side dashboard speaker buzzes when their is no volume. I have replaced all the speakers in the truck so that's not the issue dealership keeps saying it needs a software update and I haven't seen one yet I called Crutchfield and they said it sounds like the radio is bad . I am super disappointed with Rams response.

Users who are viewing this thread