5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Annoying Uconnect Glitches

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have only had my RAM for two weeks and already there are some annoying things happening with my UConnect 8.4 (No Nav). One of the reasons I choose to buy FCA products is because the UConnect has always seemed superior to other manufacturer's systems; the verdict is still out on this one.
Here are my two problems:
1. After using Sirius XM and shutting down the truck with Sirius still selected; the UConnect will reboot three or four times after the next start/power up. I haven't noticed this yet when I have USB Media or FM radio selected.
2. I have two USB 32GB USB drives, formatted FAT32, with all MP3 music that I leave in the Aux1 and Aux2 USB slots. They work and they navigate fine. However, the Uconnect does not "remember" them even though I always leave them in. Every time that I start the vehicle it has to re-scan the USB drives. With the Uconnect systems in my 2012 Jeep Wrangler and 2015 Dodge Journey, UConnect would retain the USB contents in memory and return to the last song selection that was playing when I shut the vehicle off. I did notice once that the UConnect returned to my last selection after I had shut the truck off for only about 5 minutes. However, I rarely just shut it off for five minutes. Every time I start up I have to wait for the USB drives to scan before I can make a selection.....it drives me nuts. I have tried different manufacturer's USB drives with the same result; so I am sure this is the UConnect.
I have decided that I am not going to take this to a dealer yet in hopes that maybe someone from UConnect is out there monitoring this who can lend some advice. These problems seem more like a software glitch rather than a hardware failure; so I prefer not to have someone breaking open the dash on my brand new truck quite yet. Has anyone seen the same thing and found any solutions? Is anyone from UConnect out there that could see if this is a known problem?

2bparagon

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie with the same usb issue, never picks up where I left off when turning the truck off. Formatted ft32 with mp3 files as well. My 2016 scat pack charger uses an SD card but remembers perfectly. Hopefully somebody out there knows.

MilanK

Reaction score
Hi,
I have issue with my new 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn. It came with 8.4 Uconnect (no NAV), every time I connect my iPhone (Bluetooth or USB) after a few calls ( works perfectly) until i hung up and get that loud noise (buum, boom). After that i cannot use phone over connect anymore. Instead of the sound of siri or incoming call or sms I get that loud noise again, not pleasant at all.
It disappears usually upon leaving car and connecting in few hours. Dealership is claiming that Uconect is not compatible with T-mobile Iphone, but i tried other and same thing over again. Also Uconnect website is showing that none of Uconect system is not compatible with Tmobile Iphone, but i used the same Iphone on 3.5 Uconnect Ram 1500 2016 no problems for 3 years.
Any thoughts ?

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie with the same usb issue, never picks up where I left off when turning the truck off. Formatted ft32 with mp3 files as well. My 2016 scat pack charger uses an SD card but remembers perfectly. Hopefully somebody out there knows.
My dealer just downloaded a UConnect update and is installing it today. Hopefully it will fix the USB issue.

Rpezz19

Reaction score
Hi,
I have issue with my new 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn. It came with 8.4 Uconnect (no NAV), every time I connect my iPhone (Bluetooth or USB) after a few calls ( works perfectly) until i hung up and get that loud noise (buum, boom). After that i cannot use phone over connect anymore. Instead of the sound of siri or incoming call or sms I get that loud noise again, not pleasant at all.
It disappears usually upon leaving car and connecting in few hours. Dealership is claiming that Uconect is not compatible with T-mobile Iphone, but i tried other and same thing over again. Also Uconnect website is showing that none of Uconect system is not compatible with Tmobile Iphone, but i used the same Iphone on 3.5 Uconnect Ram 1500 2016 no problems for 3 years.
Any thoughts ?
I have the same problem I have the same truck as you. I get that loud popping sound and after the first phone call it won’t work again. I have IPhone X’s max with AT&T. I also have my work phone that’s an IPhone 6s on AT&T and both do it. However my wife’s 2018 jeep grand cherokee high altitude works awesome no problems. Just need to find the time to bring it into the dealer. If you find anything out please let use know and I’ll do the same.

MilanK

Reaction score
I have the same problem I have the same truck as you. I get that loud popping sound and after the first phone call it won’t work again. I have IPhone X’s max with AT&T. I also have my work phone that’s an IPhone 6s on AT&T and both do it. However my wife’s 2018 jeep grand cherokee high altitude works awesome no problems. Just need to find the time to bring it into the dealer. If you find anything out please let use know and I’ll do the same.
I am scheduled tomorrow for inspection, will follow up as soon as get some update from dealer

Rpezz19

Reaction score
I am scheduled tomorrow for inspection, will follow up as soon as get some update from dealer
Awesome definitely keep me updated. After the holidays I will bring the truck in for an appointment hopefully they don’t say something like oh your phone is not compatible to the Uconnect. If I hear that I’ll blow a lid.

MilanK

Reaction score
Awesome definitely keep me updated. After the holidays I will bring the truck in for an appointment hopefully they don’t say something like oh your phone is not compatible to the Uconnect. If I hear that I’ll blow a lid.
No much luck with mine truck.
They contact Uconnect regarding issue, try to do something but at this point Uconnect doesn't not have solution. Apparently new update could be solution but they are not sure. I will post reference number they have with Uconnect and Chrysler, you might get luck!
Please let me know if your truck gets fix

Rpezz19

Reaction score
No much luck with mine truck.
They contact Uconnect regarding issue, try to do something but at this point Uconnect doesn't not have solution. Apparently new update could be solution but they are not sure. I will post reference number they have with Uconnect and Chrysler, you might get luck!
Please let me know if your truck gets fix

That sucks though for sure TSB# 08-091-18 was the fix. I’ll keep you posted when I bring mine in. Thanks for the update!

chrisfuss

Reaction score
has anyone experienced / any information about POI search issues?

When I search for a POI it says "searching offline" and the POI date seems to be pretty old, some venues like restaurants simply don't exist, some company information is pretty dated... Very annoying tbh my BMW has a 4 year old nav but searches online for POI info therefore more useful than the brand new UConnect

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine has the USB issue but not the phone problem. Every time I go to media it only recognizes the same track each time (now I am sooooo sick of that song!} until it scans..which takes a few minutes, then I have to go to songs, pick a random song and then select shuffle. I thought all the uconnect updates could be downloaded, which I tried, but it said I’m already up to date.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score

Zinger

Reaction score
I got in today, started it up, and my screen was off. I turned up the fan, and it showed the climate fan icon on the screen, so it was actually on, but not showing anything. It showed up when I finally hit the on button and showed me the startup screen and then went to radio, where I had left it the day before. Is this normal?

jmr

Reaction score
I had the TSB update applied today on my RAM and so far the backup camera is consistently working now.

raydi07

Reaction score
FCA, if you are monitoring these threads, a very nice XMAS gift would be to make the UConnect NAV (12" for me) the best navagation tool. How about integrating Waze as an app you can download to UConnect? No more map updates and the large screen would just be awesome.

MilanK

Reaction score
That sucks though for sure TSB# 08-091-18 was the fix. I’ll keep you posted when I bring mine in. Thanks for the update!
Hi, any update regarding Iphone connection ?

I had mine taken again to dealership, different one ( where i bought truck), for last few days mine screen goes all white and than black, its working but cannot see anything.
They did radio update :
15-A & electrical,
and update radio version from 181002 to 182808 lop 18-60-02-WQ .40
but same problem!
Also what i notice that music from usb always starts from the same song, so weird ?
Im realy starting to think this truck isn't compatible with Iphone

Rpezz19

Reaction score
Hi, any update regarding Iphone connection ?

I had mine taken again to dealership, different one ( where i bought truck), for last few days mine screen goes all white and than black, its working but cannot see anything.
They did radio update :
15-A & electrical,
and update radio version from 181002 to 182808 lop 18-60-02-WQ .40
but same problem!
Also what i notice that music from usb always starts from the same song, so weird ?
Im realy starting to think this truck isn't compatible with Iphone

Wow really?? I have my appointment on the 16th I really hope they can fix the phone problem. I find it hard to believe that you and I with iPhones have this problem with our phones. I know there are a lot of iPhones users out there. I would love to know if other that have an IPhone is also having the same problem?? I have AT&T IPhone XS Max are you on AT&T network? My work phone is an IPhone 6s on AT@T still have the problem. But on my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee high altitude has no problems with any of my IPhones and that head unit is pretty close to the 2019 Rams.

Users who are viewing this thread