5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Android Auto not working

onelochevy

Reaction score
Hadn't driven my truck since last weekend so I decided to drive it to work today. Plugged my phone in to use the Waze app like I always do and the Android auto icon never popped up on my screen. Any idea why this isn't working all of the sudden? Tried a different cable and it didn't help. I have the 8.4 non nav unit.

Also, both usb ports and both usb-c ports will charge my phone. Just no Android auto

Last edited:

Blueraptor

Reaction score
I have the 12 inch screen but my truck started this today too. Do you get a message that says device not supported?

DarkKn1ght

Reaction score
The recent Android 9.0 update made my phone not discover-able by computers nor my Ram. It worked fine before I updated it. I would try the Android forums to see how to fix it.

AndreiV

Reaction score
I just purchased Samsung s10e and after work discovered that if phone is in " do not disturb "mode it will not be discovered by uconnect or android car play. 8.4 non-nav.

WhiteKnight4x4

Reaction score
This is what I did, just yesterday. My phone connected through Bluetooth, tapped the phone icon then tapped pairing then tap smartphone protection manager and tapped my phone from the liste and selected enable Android audio.

hope that works for you it was frustrating for me not being able to use Android auto for a while.

Tones1975

Reaction score
I have the 12 inch screen but my truck started this today too. Do you get a message that says device not supported?
I get a message on mine that says my device is not supported and is charge only? Had the Android Auto icon when I first got the truck and now nothing. Very frustrating as I prefer google maps to the factory nav.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get a message on mine that says my device is not supported and is charge only? Had the Android Auto icon when I first got the truck and now nothing. Very frustrating as I prefer google maps to the factory nav.

Did you try a different cable or different USB port in the truck?

Tones1975

Reaction score
Did you try a different cable or different USB port in the truck?
I bought a type c cable to utilize the type c ports in the truck and they charge the phone but that's it. Tried the type a samsung charge cable and it does the same thing. I'm fairly confident that it isnt the cables. I also used the cable from my work phone and same result.

Tones1975

Reaction score
I bought a type c cable to utilize the type c ports in the truck and they charge the phone but that's it. Tried the type a samsung charge cable and it does the same thing. I'm fairly confident that it isnt the cables. I also used the cable from my work phone and same result.
I also hate that the usb A port inside of the flip up centre console doesn't connect to the uconnect like my 2018 did; that's where I kept my usb thumb drive with all of my music. Now it has to go in the front of the console where it's in the way.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Cables make a difference. There are a lot of USB 2.0 A-to-C cables that will NOT work since they do not support the USB 3.x wiring. Those are basically charge cables. Make sure you are using the cable that came with the phone or a high quality aftermarket.

Since your phone supplied cable isn't working, try another USB port. You don't say what trim level you're driving (putting that info in your sig helps everyone out). On a higher-end trim, there are three ports that feed the audio system: 1 and 2 up front, and 3 in the backseat.

If you can positively rule out the cable and all three ports, then the next suspect is the built-in USB hub and a few members here have had theirs replaced.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another possible diagnostic tip would be to try playing music from your phone over the USB cable. That's a data connection and if that works, there's no reason AA shouldn't work too. If you can play music this way, then I'd be looking at what AA is doing on your phone. If you can't play music via USB then you've either got a bad cable, bad USB port/hub in the truck, or something is wrong with your phone.

Blueraptor

Reaction score
I have the Uconnect 12 but I fixed mine by clearing cache in the Google & Google Play Services apps. After that I was able to connect to Android Auto again.

Last edited:

Tones1975

Reaction score
I fixed mine by clearing cache/data in the Google and Google play services apps. After that I was able to connect to Android auto again. Thanks Blueraptor.
So I went in and cleared the cache in google, google services and android auto apps and then all of a sudden I have android auto again. Thanks

Shneaky13

Reaction score
THANK YOU! I had been scratching my head over this for a couple weeks with my new Ram, and clearing the Google Play/Service cache immediately fixed the connection issues.

FSUWVH

Reaction score
This is what I did, just yesterday. My phone connected through Bluetooth, tapped the phone icon then tapped pairing then tap smartphone protection manager and tapped my phone from the liste and selected enable Android audio.

hope that works for you it was frustrating for me not being able to use Android auto for a while.
Is it still working?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online