5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anderson WDH question

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an Andersen hitch and have used it for my 3500lb trailer for the past 4 years. We are getting a new trailer this weekend that will weigh 6200lbs dry so I will let you know how it does. Since I just got the Ram a couple of months ago, I added Timber Grove bags ($400 https://timbergroveenterprises.com/2019-ram-1500 ), and would highly suggest them. Even with my small trailer, the rear end squatted but less than 20lbs of air with the bags and it is perfectly level. Aside from the light weight, Andersen is phenomenal on their warranty and customer service, I also have their levelers. Plus, you can back up while turning without disconnecting anything or messing anything up.

My trailer (Lance 2075) is 6200# if fully loaded and I just towed it for the first time, at about 5500#, using an Anderson 3350. I thought it did a very good job. My passenger, who's towed much more than me commented that it felt very smooth.

I don't know how to turn off the factory sway control like Andersen recommends. Is turning off traction control the only way to do so?

jbet49

Reaction score
Does anyone use the Anderson WDH with their RAM 1500? I’ve read that it isn’t the best WDH for vehicles with a lot of squat and the Ram seems to have a decent amount of squat with the coil springs on the back.
I’ll be towing a trailer that has a gross weight of 6500 pounds and my payload is 1545 pounds
I have one with my 2021 Ram 1500. I had a 17' camper and moved up to a 27' camper with a dry weight of a little over 5000 Lbs. I installed air bags in the truck and the RV dealer set it up for the larger camper. I run with 42 Lbs in the bags and 4 threads showing on the Andersen....everything appears level. I've inspected the "Sway material" in the ball set up and it is where Andersen says it should be.
The hitch seemed to work well with the smaller trailer but on the highway with the larger camper I'm getting sway, not terrible but not good. I'm working with the dealer to try and fix the issue....when I know what it is I'll let you know.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have one with my 2021 Ram 1500. I had a 17' camper and moved up to a 27' camper with a dry weight of a little over 5000 Lbs. I installed air bags in the truck and the RV dealer set it up for the larger camper. I run with 42 Lbs in the bags and 4 threads showing on the Andersen....everything appears level. I've inspected the "Sway material" in the ball set up and it is where Andersen says it should be.
The hitch seemed to work well with the smaller trailer but on the highway with the larger camper I'm getting sway, not terrible but not good. I'm working with the dealer to try and fix the issue....when I know what it is I'll let you know.
As I recall, the instructions said to tighten the chains by hand until they were snug then add 3-4 threads with a socket wrench after that. Were you only getting 0-1 threads showing when hand-tightening?

suvowner

Reaction score
My trailer (Lance 2075) is 6200# if fully loaded and I just towed it for the first time, at about 5500#, using an Anderson 3350. I thought it did a very good job. My passenger, who's towed much more than me commented that it felt very smooth.

I don't know how to turn off the factory sway control like Andersen recommends. Is turning off traction control the only way to do so?
a momentary press of the esc off button should put it in "partial off" mode which disables the trailer sway, a 5 second press of the esc button puts on full off mode, which is intended only for off road use.

I am not sure I trust the Anderson sway control to work better than say an equalizer hitch which still allows the use of electronic sway control. It seems a combined mechanical and electronic control would be better than just a mechanical system. I doubt it these two have never been tested in real world, but this requirement of the Anderson hitch is what has led me to pick the equalizer over the Anderson.

Users who are viewing this thread