5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anderson WDH question

ManBOOYA

Reaction score
Does anyone use the Anderson WDH with their RAM 1500? I’ve read that it isn’t the best WDH for vehicles with a lot of squat and the Ram seems to have a decent amount of squat with the coil springs on the back.
I’ll be towing a trailer that has a gross weight of 6500 pounds and my payload is 1545 pounds

HAL9001

Reaction score
Before you buy a WDH, look into this one.

1616677811629.png

It allows you to precisely dial-in the amount of weight you want to be distributed. No other WDH has this feature. I've researched every WDH out there and this is the one I'm going with. The build quality is incredible.

Setting up most WDH's is hit or miss unless you have a CAT scale handy to make multiple measurements as you adjust them. With this one, you dial in the correct amount in your own driveway giving you the maximum benefit immediately with no guesswork. Achieving the maximum benefit, you can reduce the payload as much as possible to reduce or eliminate the squat as much as possible.

Fishorfly

Reaction score
Too bad no one answered your question. I guess the answer is “no”?
I have an Andersen WDH on my 4000# travel trailer, currently towed with an F150. I’m looking at a 1500 Limited Hemi and plan to keep that Andersen. For me it’s been more about sway control. I like that the set up is light. I can only assume that if it worked with the F150 it will work with the 1500, properly readjusted.

ManBOOYA

Reaction score
Too bad no one answered your question. I guess the answer is “no”?
I have an Andersen WDH on my 4000# travel trailer, currently towed with an F150. I’m looking at a 1500 Limited Hemi and plan to keep that Andersen. For me it’s been more about sway control. I like that the set up is light. I can only assume that if it worked with the F150 it will work with the 1500, properly readjusted.
Well if you decide to try it out keep me updated. I haven’t gotten the trailer or the Andersen hitch yet

whonut

Reaction score
I use the Andersen on a 15’ trailer with about 350-400 lbs tongue weight. Love it. Less than an inch of squat, and absolutely no sway issues. It’s the ideal set up for my situation.

GTLimited

Reaction score
Before you buy a WDH, look into this one.

View attachment 86891

It allows you to precisely dial-in the amount of weight you want to be distributed. No other WDH has this feature. I've researched every WDH out there and this is the one I'm going with. The build quality is incredible.

Setting up most WDH's is hit or miss unless you have a CAT scale handy to make multiple measurements as you adjust them. With this one, you dial in the correct amount in your own driveway giving you the maximum benefit immediately with no guesswork. Achieving the maximum benefit, you can reduce the payload as much as possible to reduce or eliminate the squat as much as possible.

That looks novel but I wouldn't use it for a half-ton application, particularly one where it's absolutely necessary to know the tongue weight.

The combination of the WDH system weighing 133+lbs on its own, plus the fact that the ball is so far away from a normal ball location, thus increasing the leverage of the tongue weight on the truck. It's probably better suited for a HD truck towing heavy, not a half ton application where payload is your most likely limiter.

RBRK

Reaction score
Buy the Andersen, I believe if you are not satisfied they will take it back if you buy it direct. It’s a simple good hitch for a half ton in my opinion. My friends have them and agree too.

Will_T

Reaction score
I have had an Andersen WDH since 2015. First on a 7,000 lb TT now on a 9,000 lb TT. I love the hitch but I have only used it with a 1 ton truck so no real squat to fix. The sway control has worked perfectly for me. I plan to use it with my new 3500 CTD. The only thing I have ever heard on the downside is some that have very heavy TTs and a 3/4 ton truck sometimes say they can not get enough weight distribution to the front. I mean 11K+ TT with 1,200+ hitch weights. But for a non-overloaded setup like mine, it works well, is clean, and is easy. I will 2nd the customer service of Andersen also. They are first rate, with a life time guarantee and it seems happy customers is their 1st priority. A rarity these days.

HAL9001

Reaction score
That looks novel but I wouldn't use it for a half-ton application, particularly one where it's absolutely necessary to know the tongue weight.

The combination of the WDH system weighing 133+lbs on its own, plus the fact that the ball is so far away from a normal ball location, thus increasing the leverage of the tongue weight on the truck. It's probably better suited for a HD truck towing heavy, not a half ton application where payload is your most likely limiter.
I'm using it precisely because I need to know the tongue weight all the time. This hitch will tell you the tongue weight each time you use it rather than the very few times you may have it weighed. That will allow you to always be able to accurately distribute the trailer's cargo to optimally and accurately reduce the tongue weight while simultaneously always ensuring the tongue weight is in the proper 10%-15% range.

In addition, using the built-in scale, the unique, precise weight adjustment mechanism, and the included application, you can then always dynamically and accurately achieve the best possible weight transfer to the trailer's axles each time you use it. This always provides the very best possible reduction in payload for the truck. It's no longer a blind operation. All other WDH's are hit or miss in their setup unless you happen to have a CAT scale in your driveway, so you never know if you're getting the optimum weight transfer. No CAT scale is going to let you play with your WDH setup while on their scales. In addition, many WDH's have limited adjustability. You will probably end up not transferring all the weight possible to the trailer's axels and never know it with a conventional WDH. This one always allows you to accurately achieve the maximum possible weight transfer which is key for half-ton towing applications. This far outweighs any other issues with it.

This WDH is currently the only one being sold that has these extraordinary features and has revolutionized the current WDH technology with its ability to always easily and accurately ensure optimum weight transfer every time you tow.

GTLimited

Reaction score
I'm using it precisely because I need to know the tongue weight all the time. This hitch will tell you the tongue weight each time you use it rather than the very few times you may have it weighed. That will allow you to always be able to accurately distribute the trailer's cargo to optimally and accurately reduce the tongue weight while simultaneously always ensuring the tongue weight is in the proper 10%-15% range.

In addition, using the built-in scale, the unique, precise weight adjustment mechanism, and the included application, you can then always dynamically and accurately achieve the best possible weight transfer to the trailer's axles each time you use it. This always provides the very best possible reduction in payload for the truck. It's no longer a blind operation. All other WDH's are hit or miss in their setup unless you happen to have a CAT scale in your driveway, so you never know if you're getting the optimum weight transfer. No CAT scale is going to let you play with your WDH setup while on their scales. In addition, many WDH's have limited adjustability. You will probably end up not transferring all the weight possible to the trailer's axels and never know it with a conventional WDH. This one always allows you to accurately achieve the maximum possible weight transfer which is key for half-ton towing applications. This far outweighs any other issues with it.

This WDH is currently the only one being sold that has these extraordinary features and has revolutionized the current WDH technology with its ability to always easily and accurately ensure optimum weight transfer every time you tow.

It certainly has its purpose, no doubt about it. Hope it works out well for you!

HAL9001

Reaction score
It certainly has its purpose, no doubt about it. Hope it works out well for you!
I report on this forum if it does or does not do well. I'll provide all the details once it and the travel trailer I ordered arrive and I get a chance to try it out myself to see if all the good things I'm hearing about it are true.

bucolic

Reaction score
I am not familiar with those or have seen many at the campgrounds. I tow a 26' that weighs just under 5000 lbs and the dealer gave me a WDH but not sway control and the camper was all over the road. Wore me out towing it just 2 hours. I bought this hitch here:

Unreal difference. Rock-solid, no sway, and I towed it last year 8000 miles in 30 days from NY to Monteray CA and back. Even in high winds the trailer never moves. I saw a lot of them in the campgrounds and it appears to be a very popular hitch. The one drawback is it does make noise at slow speeds when turning.

LivingwithED

Reaction score
I got an Andersen to tow my 30' enclosed car hauler with my 2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. I was told by some people my truck would tow it and by others that it wouldn't. I knew I would need a WDH and went with Andersen as it controls sway and bounce. I made a 300 mile trip this past Sunday and had zero issues. I don't know the tongue weight (I know I should, just haven't had the chance to weigh it yet) but with the trailer hooked up with the Andersen set up it looked level. There was some sway on the highway when cars and semi's would pass but I just learned to ride the bull when it would happen. I was able to run between 60-70 mph on the flat areas with no issues. I highly suggest the Andersen. I actually had issues with my trailer brake disconnecting on the way back and my truck was able to stop it. I'm guessing the trailer should be around 5K to 6K pounds empty.

Cudapower

Reaction score
I had a Husky with bars and chains. I just got an Anderson and have pulled with it twice. I really like it. But I have a 1500 with air suspension so I cant really answer your question. My trailer is 6600 with 670 lbs of T.W. and only 1370 load rating. Some likes. It puts the ball 2 inches closer to the truck than my Husky. It only weighs about 50 lbs total. It really does reduce (not eliminate) bounce on these worn out roads, and it has good sway control. When you get used to it being so different it is really simple to use.

joshua32

Reaction score
I have an Andersen hitch and have used it for my 3500lb trailer for the past 4 years. We are getting a new trailer this weekend that will weigh 6200lbs dry so I will let you know how it does. Since I just got the Ram a couple of months ago, I added Timber Grove bags ($400 https://timbergroveenterprises.com/2019-ram-1500 ), and would highly suggest them. Even with my small trailer, the rear end squatted but less than 20lbs of air with the bags and it is perfectly level. Aside from the light weight, Andersen is phenomenal on their warranty and customer service, I also have their levelers. Plus, you can back up while turning without disconnecting anything or messing anything up.

should_have

Reaction score
So I will chime in here a little. 2019 Ram 4x4 Club Cab. Travel Trailer 2020 Flagstaff 21DS, Factory Specs - Hitch Weight 614lb, UVW 4,841 lb, CCC 1933 lb, Exterior Length 22'4. And a Andersen "No Sway WDH"

Been to the "CAT" scale, Trailer Lightly Loaded, Trailer Tongue Weight 740lbs, Camper 5,520 lbs and Truck Loaded to the max, Front (3,440lbs) & Rear(3,400lbs), leaving me with 240lbs to spare on my 7100 lb GVWR.

To answer the SQUT Question, yes the Ram Coil Spring has two much squad on my vehicle if you follow Andersen's WDH Direction when you Measure the front and rear of trailer without WDH applied and Ball Height Set 1 - 1 1/2 " above coupler. If you raise the hitch, one notch, 1 1/2" Trailer is Nose High when WDH is applied.

Your mileage may vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online