5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And another hemi with a tick…lifters or something else?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here's what I did to eliminate the tick in my JGC.
It worked for me.

That was probably a sticky lifter. The Seafoam cleans it out. Even safer method, because Seafoam is just a solvent, add a quart of type f trans fluid. It's still oil, but has very high detergent additives.

acurti32

Reaction score

CNC99 - I have the same exact sound, symptoms, steps you've taken, etc. I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi. Bought brand new from Dodge dealer. No problems until 70,000 miles and got Hemi Tick exhaust manifold leak from broken stud on Driver's side. Dealership replaced manifold, bolts, new heat sheild. Tick went away. Fast forward to 143,000 miles and I'm getting exact sound/symptoms you posted. I inspected and found both exhaust manifolds had broken bolts so I decided to buy the BD Deisel upgraded manifold and bolts and installed myself after extracting 3 broken bolts with MIG welder and tacking nuts on the broken bolts. Upon start up no change in tick/tap. I'm fearing lifter issue and hoping no Cam damage but I might be dreaming. I may try to the Seafoam flush and try redline. to see if any change. But likely brininging into local mechanic to get Pro opinion. I run 91-93 octane always. Full synthetic oil and mopar filters every 5-7K miles myself. Love the truck and like to get another 140k+ more miles on it. I changed the spark plugs myself at around 142K miles (what a pain in ***) as had originals since bought new. I've also researched possible problems: lifters, Cam, Rods, flex plate, etc. but all above my pay grade so will get a diagnosis. I took stethescope to it and can here knock/ping internal on both top and bottom. Here more of a clack from right on the engine block, lower side on the manifolds and oil pan can hear clack and more of a "ting" with stethescope. Doesn't go away after start up. No engine light, codes or anything. It runs like a top, smooth, and I drive it fast. Just hope I'm not running floating metal around from any Cam damage.​

Users who are viewing this thread