5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amp research bed extender: Sport vs Max

Heisrizn

Reaction score
New to trucks owner here; Ram 2019 1500 Rebel.

Looking at the Bed extenders and seems like Amp research is the brand. They also have a $40 prepaid MC rebate through 1/30/21

Any thoughts on the Sport vs the Max? Isn't the Max the Mopar Ram branded extender?

TIA for the help.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
The sport is actually what you get directly from RAM, but with the RAM logo painted on. However, if you open up the 2 plastic risers in the middle you will see AMP Research stamped in the plastic.

Ram does not offer the max any longer due to it blocking the view of the taillights.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought the AMP research Sport and I love it. I got the Sport primarily because of the way it looks. I do like that the corner of tailgate is still open with the Sport since I often use that corner to climb up in the bed. Also, the spare tire for my boat trailer fits into the Sport quite nicely.

Heisrizn

Reaction score
I bought the AMP research Sport and I love it. I got the Sport primarily because of the way it looks. I do like that the corner of tailgate is still open with the Sport since I often use that corner to climb up in the bed. Also, the spare tire for my boat trailer fits into the Sport quite nicely.
How was the installation? I've decided to go with the sport. Thx

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the MAX. I prefer the box look for a full extension. I did have to grind down the handles of the fasteners about a half inch on my tonnopro soft tri fold cover.

hydrant328

Reaction score
Do you have the MFT? Any mods needed to install?

BNeal

Reaction score
That looks great! So you didn't have to make a single modification to get it to work? Did everything come with the kit or did you have to buy any additional hardware? Thanks for the pic and the input my friend,
I did have to purchase the lugs that attach to the bed. My extender/divider was included with the BUG, but they no longer provide the lugs as they say the extender, when in place can block visibility of the tail lights. But as for modifications - none. Just screw in the lugs (threaded holes are already there), and you're ready to go.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I did have to purchase the lugs that attach to the bed. My extender/divider was included with the BUG, but they no longer provide the lugs as they say the extender, when in place can block visibility of the tail lights. But as for modifications - none. Just screw in the lugs (threaded holes are already there), and you're ready to go.
Awesome...can you link to the lugs or give more detail on what I'd need to purchase?

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That looks great! So you didn't have to make a single modification to get it to work? Did everything come with the kit or did you have to buy any additional hardware? Thanks for the pic and the input my friend,
That is the RAM Box bed extender. My truck does not have RAM boxes or MFT.

BNeal

Reaction score
Awesome...can you link to the lugs or give more detail on what I'd need to purchase?
I got them here, and these are the parts you need. Remember, you need 2 of each.
FactoryChryslerParts.com

68054996AAHANDLE. Swivel Release.
2​
68054997ABGROMMET. PIVOT JOINT.
2​

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
I wonder if the install is different without the rambox. I only have the MFT. Does it pivot up and back into the bed?
That model will only work on trucks with Ramboxes. It would take a good amount of customization to work on a standard bed truck.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Will this work on a truck with a MFT and a roll-up bed cover?
Assuming you're asking about the AMP Sport extender, you may have some difficulties, depending on which roll-up bed cover you have. I had the Truxedo LoPro on my previous truck. After installing the AMP sport on that truck I quickly found that I couldn't just flip it in and out because the rails for the bed cover interfered with the bed extender. I was able to get around this by buying the AMP quick disconnect hinges for the bed extender and was able to then switch it back and forth between being a bed extender and a cargo divider. I highly recommend getting a set of the quick disconnects.

Heisrizn

Reaction score
Assuming you're asking about the AMP Sport extender, you may have some difficulties, depending on which roll-up bed cover you have. I had the Truxedo LoPro on my previous truck. After installing the AMP sport on that truck I quickly found that I couldn't just flip it in and out because the rails for the bed cover interfered with the bed extender. I was able to get around this by buying the AMP quick disconnect hinges for the bed extender and was able to then switch it back and forth between being a bed extender and a cargo divider. I highly recommend getting a set of the quick disconnects.
I'm a visual learner. Lol.

Do you mind posting some pictures of the difference? Are the QD brackets used in conjunction with those included?

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Will this work on a truck with a MFT and a roll-up bed cover?
If you have a tonneau cover or plan on installing a tonneau cover, this extender will need to be measured to fit. part of the assembly requires you to drill and rivet the bars to each other as the center bars slide into the assembled section that pivots at the bed mounts. i made a pair of 1 1/4" spacers out of sch 40 PVC for my extender to clear the tonneau rails. i have a truxedo lo pro bed cover

Users who are viewing this thread