5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amp Powerstep

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Who here has the AMP Powersteps?

I just got mine installed and I'm not overly fond of them. Sure, they work great, but what I noticed is that they seem to close hard where you can really feel it and hear it outside the vehicle.
Also, I noticed slight vibration, like a 'humming' vibration in my steering wheel since they were installed. I did not notice it before and it's very annoying.

Anyone having these issues? I may unplug it and see if the vibration goes away. Could be unrelated, but want to make sure. If I unplug it from under the steering wheel, can I potentially mess anything up?

gr8ridn

Reaction score
Check your driver side near the front powered link mechanism. When I installed my kit I found the board made contact with the vibration cancellation device that is the black drum attached to the frame. When the drum is powered it could actually be adding vibration to the truck when in contact with the step. The solution is to loosen the bolt attaching the drum to the bracket and clocking the drum so there is no contact with the step when it is fully retracted. You only need a little clearance and then tighten the bolt to secure the drum to the mount. The right frame device is clear of the step.

No vibration on my installation when I saw the contact and corrected it. The right and left steps close with the same sound.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Check your driver side near the front powered link mechanism. When I installed my kit I found the board made contact with the vibration cancellation device that is the black drum attached to the frame. When the drum is powered it could actually be adding vibration to the truck when in contact with the step. The solution is to loosen the bolt attaching the drum to the bracket and clocking the drum so there is no contact with the step when it is fully retracted. You only need a little clearance and then tighten the bolt to secure the drum to the mount. The right frame device is clear of the step.

No vibration on my installation when I saw the contact and corrected it. The right and left steps close with the same sound.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you know what size tools I need? I have none on me right now so will need to pick some up

Does the truck still make a loud retract? A lot louder than the mopar ones straight from factory?

Last edited:
U

User_7672

Deploy the boards, step on the boards so they don’t retract while closing the door. Climb under and loosen the through bolt and pivot the canister about a half to one inch away from the frame. Snug up the through bolt and test.

gr8ridn

Reaction score
Deploy the boards, step on the boards so they don’t retract while closing the door. Climb under and loosen the through bolt and pivot the canister about a half to one inch away from the frame. Snug up the through bolt and test.
This. As I recall the bolt required a 17mm socket. Yes, the boards still make a non metallic thud sound as they close quickly. I liken the sound to the landing gear down before landing in a jet liner. Not an entirely bad sound. I like it as confirmation everything is retracted before I drive away.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This. As I recall the bolt required a 17mm socket. Yes, the boards still make a non metallic thud sound as they close quickly. I liken the sound to the landing gear down before landing in a jet liner. Not an entirely bad sound. I like it as confirmation everything is retracted before I drive away.
13mm socket to adjust the bolt holding the ATTM.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Can any of you provide pics by chance? Looking at it, I don't see just 1 bolt, I see a bunch, want to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Yeah.

I'm an IT guy, not a master mechanic. Some of the terminology throws me for a loop. I know my way around a tool and can do the adjustments needed. Just, I'm not sure what the heck anything is that I'm looking at. The diagram that I got with the steps have totally different names than what is mentioned here hehehe.

Just take a few pics of what bolts I need to loosen, what I need to move and I would be super appreciative!

cotonymopar

Reaction score
got it, its on the front side of the driver side canister…. IT guy here also, but also used to write install articles for Dodge truck website.. the bolt the canister (black part) is connected to. loosen that and you can adjust it.. IMG_2839.JPG IMG_2840.JPG

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Ah, Thanks so much man.

I want to say mine does not look anything like that. This is on the drivers side right? Right under the door? Which steps do you have?

cotonymopar

Reaction score
I have the Amp Research Powersteps for the crew cab.... Drivers side, the bolt is on the front facing side of the canister. the canister is originally on the Ram, not part of the steps... it is attached to the frame rail... ya, right under the drivers door

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Thanks.

Sadly, I won't have my truck for a couple days but will give it a go when I get her back. I want to say when I was under there, it looked nothing like that. I didn't see any single through bolts. Then again, I was looking as if the canister was part of the powersteps and didn't see it.

Just loosen it, rotate it away from the frame about an inch and re-tighten. Sounds easy peasy. Just hope I actually see it ;)

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Got my truck back. Hopefully I can get a chance to fix this issue.

I want to say that the repair on my truck helped a bit. I had the clunk and sure enough the sway bar end links needed torqued.

2 days for 2 min job. Oh well

Least she’s back!

Bacon.jd

Reaction score
I have the Amp steps, they definitely close louder than the ones for the 4th gens, and was a bit disappointed about the OBD2 port install, but overall I still am a big fan. They are a huge help with my crazy kids getting in and out.

I had a quick question for those of you with them. As far as the plastic gaskets between the motor unit and brackets, does the driver side seem to not fit well? The two plastic pieces I had were the same. The passenger side fit great, but the driver side did not sit flush, And had to be bent around to get not place. Just curious if this is hours they are for everyone?

cotonymopar

Reaction score
I have the Amp steps, they definitely close louder than the ones for the 4th gens, and was a bit disappointed about the OBD2 port install, but overall I still am a big fan. They are a huge help with my crazy kids getting in and out.

I had a quick question for those of you with them. As far as the plastic gaskets between the motor unit and brackets, does the driver side seem to not fit well? The two plastic pieces I had were the same. The passenger side fit great, but the driver side did not sit flush, And had to be bent around to get not place. Just curious if this is hours they are for everyone?

I had to make sure it was set good, but it did go flush...

Deriggs007

Reaction score
So. I don't believe the tweak on that part made a difference. I did loosen it and adjust it, but there was already probably a quarter of an inch between the frame and that part. I'll show pictures in a bit.

When I loosened the bolt and moved the cannister around, there wasn't much of a difference in the gap (still about a quarter inch)

The vibration isn't that bad, but it's still there.

Can you provide a picture of the gap you have so I can try to make it match?

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So. I don't believe the tweak on that part made a difference. I did loosen it and adjust it, but there was already probably a quarter of an inch between the frame and that part. I'll show pictures in a bit.

When I loosened the bolt and moved the cannister around, there wasn't much of a difference in the gap (still about a quarter inch)

The vibration isn't that bad, but it's still there.

Can you provide a picture of the gap you have so I can try to make it match?
When you say gap between frame and vibration module, Are you talking about the linkage arm for the step or the actual truck frame? There should be a decent size gap between the vibration module and the linkage arm. This is the drivers side looking from the rear of the truck towards the front.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Yeah, I have a big gap like that on mine, still has a small vibration.

Users who are viewing this thread