5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ambient temperature sensor

moparleo51

Reaction score
Thanks I'll check again.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

BigBlueBeast

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone else has had an issue with this. I purchased a 2019 Laramie last week. The outdoor air temp was reading 84 when it was 27 degrees out. I took it back to the original dealer who pulled a P0071 - Ambient Senor Failed. They didn't have the sensor in stock, so I took it to a local dealer this week. They replaced the sensor and it had the same issue. They then replaced the entire driver's side mirror. It is now reading 38 with an actual temperature of 30, so closer, but not accurate. I'm pulling the actual outdoor temps from the weather data. The dealer is now checking with tech support.

I couldn't find much in the way of others having this issue on this forum, but I've read the past history of electrical issues with the 19. Needless to say, 3 out of the first 7 days in the shop is not making me happy.
I have a 2021 ram, its 79 out and mines reading 89. Whats the fix? don't really want to take it in.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2021 ram, its 79 out and mines reading 89. Whats the fix? don't really want to take it in.
There is no fix. You have to drive it for a while for it to have the temperature adjust itself. It's a really poor design. The sensor is in the driver's side mirror instead of the grill area like most. The location often affects the heated/cooling seats and the heated steering wheel function. I swapped mine out for a new one a year or so ago to see if it made any difference and it didn't. Just another first world problem to deal with I guess :ROFLMAO:

23RAM

Reaction score
I have a late 2022 RAM and it's been pretty accurate for me. In cool weather it's always been really close. In hot sunny weather about 75f+ it reads high just like any other vehicle we've had, but after driving for a few minutes where the air drops to ambient temps around the sensor, it seems to be accurate. Granted I haven't had a lot of time with it in the heat since it's still fairly new (about 1400 miles), but I don't think I have the exaggerated highs others are talking about. Perhaps there's an update for the sensor that mine had from the factory? We'll see if that changes when summer hits though...

L Sherk

Reaction score
I have a 2020 ecodiesel Laramie crew 6'4" box 4x4 with 130000 Km (about 80 k miles) and am on my second temp sensor. The first went at 36K miles when the dealer changed out the DEF bottle blaming me for not using Mopar DEF $645 CND. The day after they replaced the bottle I got a DEF system malfunction code again and noticed the the temp displayed was wrong. Dealer told me that a pin was bent fixed apologized and sent me on my way. At 75K miles I noticed temp was off again so ordered a new sensor from the dealer while waiting for the part temp stopped reading and I got a DEF code stating vehicle would not start after 120 miles I replace the temp sensor with the new sensor ( called dealer about the DEF that is another story) the code went away on its own and all is fine, though new temp sensor has been acting up once in a while.
so the temp sensor is very important to the ecodiesel operation.
The Truck is great my 3rd dodge Ram most comfortable vehicle ever tows 10K lb trailer 120 miles every week.
Dealers so far not so good

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
My outside temp has always read high in the summer after parking outside. But after driving for a bit it adjusts back down and reads near correct. For example temperatures have been running in the low to mid 90's for a couple months now and the feels like temps have been in the low to mid 100s. So when I get in and start it, it reads 110 or so. After driving it slowly reduces and reaches close to actual temp after a few miles. I feel like this the best I can expect.

Also I always fold in my mirrors when I park at work so I wonder if the closer proximity of the sensor to the metal vehicle body affects it?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My outside temp has always read high in the summer after parking outside. But after driving for a bit it adjusts back down and reads near correct. For example temperatures have been running in the low to mid 90's for a couple months now and the feels like temps have been in the low to mid 100s. So when I get in and start it, it reads 110 or so. After driving it slowly reduces and reaches close to actual temp after a few miles. I feel like this the best I can expect.

Also I always fold in my mirrors when I park at work so I wonder if the closer proximity of the sensor to the metal vehicle body affects it?
The sun radiation heats the sensor while parked. I've seen temperatures 25 to 30 degrees hotter than actual, on hot sunny days. If you read the manual, it says temperature reading is only accurate above 35 MPH. It has to have air movement to be accurate.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is no fix. You have to drive it for a while for it to have the temperature adjust itself. It's a really poor design. The sensor is in the driver's side mirror instead of the grill area like most. The location often affects the heated/cooling seats and the heated steering wheel function. I swapped mine out for a new one a year or so ago to see if it made any difference and it didn't. Just another first world problem to deal with I guess :ROFLMAO:
Being mounted on the mirror isn't the issue. Even being in the grill it will be effected by radiant heat from the sun, and after you park from a drive the heat from radiator will effect any temp sensor located in grill area. Which is probably why it got moved.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
This was a common complaint when I wrenched at a Toyota dealer. The actual sensor does send accurate readings to the BCM, but the the BCM does things to it before it displays it. Toyota takes the solar load into account, I know that by experimentation. I expect everyone does. Because sticking the sensor in a black mirror housing is just begging for false high readings. Who knows what else they factor in?

The fix is to ignore the reading for about five minutes after startup. Sometimes it's sooner. I've watched the outside temperature drop from 122F down into the 90s in the first half mile. I've also had it display the last reading from the day before -- 70F -- for much longer than 5 minutes when it was most certainly a whole lot warmer than that.

Users who are viewing this thread