5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ambient temp inaccuracy

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You can still buy trucks like that. Buy a base model work truck with no options.

You choose to buy a truck with gadgets when you get the higher trim models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Whenever I’ve pulled out of the garage after sitting all night, the vehicle outside temp, engine coolant and oil temp have all been very close to same at initial start-up when I’ve checked. While traveling, the outside temp display seems to be close enough for me when I’ve checked it. To be honest, I’m too busy driving to care.

Like my 11 yr old 4th Gen Ram (Sport, Leather), I use the AUTO function in this new 2022 and it works great (exact same) for me. Set the desired interior temp and it gets there and maintains in an acceptable time. We’ve had subzero weather recently and heat is directed to the floor at start-up when system fans turn on. The heated seats (Laramie Leather) work fabulous and have them turned from Hi to Low or Off in less than 10 minutes after initial cold weather start. Same with heated steering wheel.

When in AUTO I have moved the temp setting (spin the knob) to Max for short periods of time during initial start in extreme weather. This has been the quickest way to control what I want without using the separate manual functions.

The seat cooling fans worked great in my 2011 and expect these in the 2022 to be equal.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Years ago we had a Chrysler Town & Country minivan to haul around the kids.

Our daughter had a soccer tournament in Waco, TX late February and I drove down IH35 from DFW after work on Friday to catch up with mom and the team.

It was one of those cold drizzly nights and I watched the outside temperature gauge slowly wind down and when it hit 32 degrees the bridges went from good traction to slippery with ice.

One of those things you just can’t roll down the window and stick your head outside to see how cold it is.

Kaderast

Reaction score
Thanks. What's weird is it has always been dead on balls accurate, unless the driver's side mirror has been in direct sunlight for a while. Even then, it would cool off after driving a while and display correctly. I use the temperature at airports for comparison.

It started acting up two days ago. On day one, it finally got back to the right temp just as I was pulling in my garage, but it was off by about 5 degrees all day. Yesterday, it was off by 5-10 degrees all day, but after I washed and dried my truck it was right again.

I really don't want to pop that cover off because it looks like I'll never get it off without buggering up the plastic.
I made a tiny nick in the plastic right in front of the sensor, but its under the mirror, no one is ever going to see it.

It's amazing how a $5 thermometer from the hardware store can take a consistently accurate reading, but a sensor in a $60K+ truck can't get it right. Frustrating. 20220212_114933.jpg

yellowboy

Reaction score
I gave up on this a long time ago, the dealer replaced my sensor - still the same inaccuracy. The other thing I gave up on is when you put the air suspension in entry exit from the fob it does not raise itself to aero automatically like it should. (That's another story in another thread). Big deal ? No . BUT when you pay for these bells and whistles the bells should ring and the whistles should whistle. Oh , almost forgot - my WINDOW whistles at speeds over 65 MPH but that's another thread ......................

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
It was one of those cold drizzly nights and I watched the outside temperature gauge slowly wind down and when it hit 32 degrees the bridges went from good traction to slippery with ice.

One of those things you just can’t roll down the window and stick your head outside to see how cold it is.
Can’t imagine how you’d manage driving the upper Midwest 6 months of the year without an outside temp display like many here do. It’s also called Sleet / freezing rain.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What I wouldn't give for a new truck without all these things that really do nothing. They are just things to be annoying and break but they really have nothing to do with the function of the vehicle and what it is for, driving, hauling, etc. I don't know how we ever survived back in the day without all these gadgets and technology. I am not saying technology is all bad, hell I make my living in it, but some of these things are just ridiculous. There are nice to haves and necessary to have, like brakes, but in the end the nice to haves are really just more things to go wrong that will **** you off but not really affect the operation of the vehicle.
Especially if you've got real OCD like me and want even the useless **** to work all the time like it's supposed to :p

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I gave up on this a long time ago, the dealer replaced my sensor - still the same inaccuracy. The other thing I gave up on is when you put the air suspension in entry exit from the fob it does not raise itself to aero automatically like it should. (That's another story in another thread). Big deal ? No . BUT when you pay for these bells and whistles the bells should ring and the whistles should whistle. Oh , almost forgot - my WINDOW whistles at speeds over 65 MPH but that's another thread ......................
Well, at least it gives Deke something to listen to :p

Users who are viewing this thread