5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ambient LED Lighting Change

d15nonvtec

Reaction score
Really cool option for Laramies and Limiteds with the interior LED ambient lights

tac63

Reaction score
These work great, I have this set from Paragoptics and they are OEM or better quality, no splicing, and look OEM. Very good product.

AlexMaxiMen

Reaction score
I’m wanna light like Limited in my Rebel in the doors:(

Отправлено с моего iPad используя Tapatalk

Joshua022

Reaction score
Anyone know if it is possible to add the factory ambient dash lighting?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those PCBs with a Pin Header, LED, and Resistor, Would only cost a few dollars
to make once you have the board sizes and basic layout of the Factory stuff.
Paying $150-200 for that set is absurd. They can also be ganged up as a single
PCB and later broken apart for installation. If I had the full dash setup on my
'21 Laramie, I would go and pull out the Stock ones and make a set myself.
Then release the files as open source for others to make their own.

Malodave

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score

Malodave
Sure, they might cost a few dollars in materials, but the know-how and time required are worth something too. I assume there is some amount of soldering involved? It's worth the price to have someone experienced knock these out quickly and have a quality product at the end.
Now, if you could figure out how to make some RGB versions, that would be worth me learning how to do it myself.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sure, they might cost a few dollars in materials, but the know-how and time required are worth something too. I assume there is some amount of soldering involved? It's worth the price to have someone experienced knock these out quickly and have a quality product at the end.
Now, if you could figure out how to make some RGB versions, that would be worth me learning how to do it myself.
The Resistors and LEDs are put on with a Pick and Place Machine. Then they go thru
a reflow oven. Headers are nothing to solder on yourself.

The RGBW LEDs are easy enough to change, but communicating with them all
to sync up will be the hurdle. If this Kit would do this, I could see the Price Premium,
But not for a simple LED swap. Hell, if I got the size of the LED package I could
order some other color and Solder them on the original PCB. I have three
microscope solder stations, and a few more at the local Makerspace.

They have a Pick and Place Machine being built there right now.

Malodave

Nick57

Reaction score

Malodave
I have a 21 Laramie as well that's missing the dash ambient lighting. Have you figured out a way to add it so it functions with the rest? Do you have any plans to mess with it?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have borrowed the Stock LED PCBs from a Member on here. They have been Photographed
and I am putting together a Schematic and BOM for them. I do Believe that the Current limiting
Resistors would have to change with the different color LEDs chosen.

I have a bunch of stuff on the Fire for the Truck, so it would be a while, if at all, that I try and tackle
the Dash Lighting for a 2021.

Malodave

04yfz

Reaction score
I have borrowed the Stock LED PCBs from a Member on here. They have been Photographed
and I am putting together a Schematic and BOM for them. I do Believe that the Current limiting
Resistors would have to change with the different color LEDs chosen.

I have a bunch of stuff on the Fire for the Truck, so it would be a while, if at all, that I try and tackle
the Dash Lighting for a 2021.

Malodave
Curious if you ever made any headway with this?

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Paragoptics has come out with an RGB version for those interested, currently on pre-order.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow. $500? Their prices are crazy. In 2021 I purchase the kit for my 2020 Laramie for $199, which I thought was a little steep. Now the same kit for my 2022 is $429. What? I really liked the blue ambient lighting in my 2020 but there is no way I could bring myself to pay $229 more for the same thing at just over a year later. How could costs have increased that much? Mind blown!

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow. $500? Their prices are crazy. In 2021 I purchase the kit for my 2020 Laramie for $199, which I thought was a little steep. Now the same kit for my 2022 is $429. What? I really liked the blue ambient lighting in my 2020 but there is no way I could bring myself to pay $229 more for the same thing at just over a year later. How could costs have increased that much? Mind blown!
Each PCB costs around $5 Max to produce w/components. So they are making a killing at their prices.

Malodave

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Each PCB costs around $5 Max to produce w/components. So they are making a killing at their prices.

Malodave

If I knew how to build my own, I’d do it. I really liked the lights, but refuse to pay those ridiculous prices. I’ll do without. I’m shocked that people are paying those prices.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I knew how to build my own, I’d do it. I really liked the lights, but refuse to pay those ridiculous prices. I’ll do without. I’m shocked that people are paying those prices.
You could just replace the SMT LEDs with the color of your choice on the stock PCB too.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
You could just replace the SMT LEDs with the color of your choice on the stock PCB too.
That was my original plan but they are tiny. I no longer have the patience or the vision to pull that off anymore.
They were in court over ownership of "Ambient Lighting" so the high price is more likely due to legal fees than manufacturing cost.

I love my true blues and while they are expensive for what they are, it also means fewer people have them, which is another point I like.

Users who are viewing this thread