5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazon tow hooks

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
oh wells it is what it is.
im just glad the people i wheel with and know offline are not mickey mouse and go cheap on their truck parts.
Im happy about the same thing man. Also happy to know and confirm how cringe this forum is with the stigma of these trucks with certain things sometimes and what clowns we have on here. Hopefully we can keep that same energy with EVERYTHING thats mickey mouse garbage on this forum but we not ready for that convo now are we.🤷‍♂️ as if some of us folks have found out in real life about things but b.c YOU say so its mickey mouse? alright bud. cheers.

Last edited:

Jedi9

Reaction score
Tow hooks are probably fine for most folks, just saying the Ram hooks advertise the same rating as the Amazon, 5500 lbs in my opinion is not a high enough rating for serious recovery efforts with a truck that weighs about what the hook is rated for. For serious wheeling you need aftermarket bumpers with real recovery points, not a hook thats made to pull you out of a ditch. Be safe out there

604LMDGUY

Reaction score
I got my tow hooks from Amazon too. There're things I got are OEM like the skid plates. I'm not a serious offroader, but that pair of tow hooks should be enough to pull someone out of snow or mud. I don't expect to hang my truck upside down with the tow hooks anyway.

Ready Go

Reaction score
I got my tow hooks from Amazon too. There're things I got are OEM like the skid plates. I'm not a serious offroader, but that pair of tow hooks should be enough to pull someone out of snow or mud. I don't expect to hang my truck upside down with the tow hooks anyway.
...and IF you do expect to hang your truck upside down, apparently this way is the approved by the men in blue!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240414_075923.jpg
    Screenshot_20240414_075923.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 22

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got my tow hooks from China, same place Ram gets theres, lol. People get hung up on OEM too much. how are those OEM sliding windows working out? When it comes to recovery I'll never tell I'm not running synthetic winch rope, folks will look at me like I've lost my mind.

Exactly. The cheaper one's someone posted from Amazon and made in China use exactly the same load language as is on the MOPAR tow hooks. They both say "Load capacity of 5500 pounds or 1.5x GVRW, depending on vehicle".

Many MOPAR parts are made in China and I suspect the MOPAR tow hooks may come from the same factory as the cheaper one's sold on Amazon. OEM parts are often not better, they just cost a lot more.

604LMDGUY

Reaction score
Exactly. The cheaper one's someone posted from Amazon and made in China use exactly the same load language as is on the MOPAR tow hooks. They both say "Load capacity of 5500 pounds or 1.5x GVRW, depending on vehicle".

Many MOPAR parts are made in China and I suspect the MOPAR tow hooks may come from the same factory as the cheaper one's sold on Amazon. OEM parts are often not better, they just cost a lot more.
I made a little mod for you...."All MOPAR parts are made in China" will be more accurate.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All 5th Gen Ram rear windows are frameless on the exterior.
Yeah, I see that now. When people spoke of cracked frames I thought it was outside at first. I realize now it was always inside. My mistake. 🤪

Last edited:

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tow hooks are probably fine for most folks, just saying the Ram hooks advertise the same rating as the Amazon, 5500 lbs in my opinion is not a high enough rating for serious recovery efforts with a truck that weighs about what the hook is rated for. For serious wheeling you need aftermarket bumpers with real recovery points, not a hook thats made to pull you out of a ditch. Be safe out there
Both hooks are to be used together during use.

Bob.

Reaction score
if you ever plan on getting rescued with these... bless your heart.

if you ever plan on putting these to use, get legit ones from MOPAR or mopar takeoffs. These chinese replicas are made with inferior quality materials.
I agree.
It's not worth having hooks snapping and breaking a windshield. I bought Mopar ones. If I need them I'll hope they are strong unlike some cheap ones that are full of porosity.

JRD

Reaction score
I agree.
It's not worth having hooks snapping and breaking a windshield. I bought Mopar ones. If I need them I'll hope they are strong unlike some cheap ones that are full of porosity.
No idea what porosity means, but I support this message lol

Camelot

Reaction score
Having set up a few foundries in China, I can tell you there is a huge difference in casting quality. A knock off part is normally crap, but there are exceptions. For example, its not uncommon that someone bribes the mold designer, he then create a second mold of the same product. (I saw one example from Callaway Golf) Then another foundry makes a part that look exactly the same but casting quality is way off. Not a big deal when your Big Bertha head "explodes" when you tee off......

Bob.

Reaction score
Years ago I was using an old bracket from some CB antenna mount that was under the bench. So that bracket would work fine and I went to slightly modify it for the thing I was trying to make.
I put the bracket in a large vise and went to tap it slightly to a different bend. 2-3 wacks with a hammer that bracket completely snapped in 2. There was so much sand in the casting it was only good to hold a antenna nothing else. Non US steel sometimes is not worth your time if you need it strong. It may look nice but that's it.

Another note on porosity and the titanic.
Long story short, I watched a documentary on the Titanic. When they made the ship, workers would hammer red hot rivets into the sheet metal that made the outsides of the ship. So like adding plywood to a wall, they would attach large steel panels to the hull with rivets.

Some guy many years later had a unused rivet on his desk from the Titanic build. The modern engineer asked if he could cut it in half to judge the porosity of the steel. it was agreed and they tested the rivet. The rivet was of such poor quality it was like Swiss cheese all full of rust and holes.

So they believed when the Titanic hit that iceberg the rivets failed and all the sheet metal on the front side of the ship just popped off leading to massive amounts of water pouring in dooming the ship.

So if important, use American steel.

Users who are viewing this thread