5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazon tow hooks

CatDaddy66

Reaction score
Which one in particular, there are many to chose from on Amazon

CatDaddy66

Reaction score
I personally bought tow hooks from Amazon and they were of decent quality and came with the hardware and bezels. I don't remember the brand

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No issues with these bad boys. But, full disclosure, I haven’t put them under any serious load. I wouldn’t hesitate using them when the time arises, though.

1712242911455.png

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
I used an aftermarket set from amazon with bezels.
The powder coat faded and is showing signs it may rust.
My advice would be to rattle can them with a matte black for extra protection before install.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The cheaper aftermarket ones are known for rusting or fading over time. You could probably get them powder coated at a local shop to hold up better

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look for Mopar takes offs. They come up occasionally. I grabbed a set of Mopars for $100 from a member. I plan on installing them with Vice Designs rear tow hook brackets.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score

I have these ones. And i did what @HSKR R/T said and Powder coated them. Have used them twice getting stuck in sand, no issues and worked great. powder coat held up pretty damn good. just keep a can of paint for touch ups just in case.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I have these ones. And i did what @HSKR R/T said and Powder coated them. Have used them twice getting stuck in sand, no issues and worked great. powder coat held up pretty damn good. just keep a can of paint for touch ups just in case.

Well I'm glad to see they are "Heavy Daty" per the ad. Screenshot_20240404_203140_Chrome.jpg

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if you ever plan on getting rescued with these... bless your heart.

if you ever plan on putting these to use, get legit ones from MOPAR or mopar takeoffs. These chinese replicas are made with inferior quality materials.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking
If you are reading this thread, what we are trying to say is there are many things you can "cheap out on" but tow hooks is one of the things you should go with quality (OEM or load rated).
Hope it never happens but one day they may need to be depended on and you wouldn't want them to fail.

Camelot

Reaction score
Would you buy a Chinese made parachute from Amazon? I would not. What others said, don't buy these if you plan on using them.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For looks, sure. For use, I would pass. I would go RC if I was going cheap, at least you know the company behind them more than any fly by night amazon seller.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Most aftermarket parts, even name brand stuff, is made overseas. Silly being "made in China" doesn't mean it's poor quality. A lot of building steel used in US is imported from China

Camelot

Reaction score
I agree, lots of good quality parts from China, but make sure you know what you are buying and the specifications its tested or certified for.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
if you ever plan on getting rescued with these... bless your heart.

if you ever plan on putting these to use, get legit ones from MOPAR or mopar takeoffs. These chinese replicas are made with inferior quality materials.
Been rescued with these twice in the sand dunes, as i stated, and worked perfectly fine. Even looked under the truck at them and checked the torque spec on it both times after and it held up perfectly b.c i had the same doubt to be honest. But lets also be honest... how many folks truly use them? probably 50% IF THAT. They are for looks for the other half.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread