5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I crazy?

Mirowpl

Reaction score
I am trading my 2020 bighorn with ram boxes for a brand new 2022 limited 4x4 with the ecodiesel. The dealer has three. They all have the gen 3 engine and all recalls have been performed. MSRP is $75,815. After some negotiations I go a final price of $55,815 plus tax, tag and $600 doc fee. Also they offered $30k for the 2020 which is right at high end for trade from KBB. I was not looking for this high end truck, but the price seems to good not to take it. I do drive about 18-20k miles a year so the diesel is not a bad choice. The limited has basically everything including air ride, power steps (wife liked those). Have I lost my mind?

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Dang that’s a good deal! Here’s how I’d look at it from a long term perspective. With all the taxes and fees let’s say the new truck is right around 60k. If you get 30k for your truck (assuming it’s paid off) then you’re essentially getting the new limited ecodiesel for 30k more than your current truck. Now let’s say 5 years from now you go to sell your truck. Your ‘20 Bighorn will be 8 years old with estimated 140k miles and a kbb of 15k private value. The ‘22 limited will be 6 years years old with an estimated 110k miles and a kbb of 25k private value. So, you’ll recoup 10k of your extra 30k spent when you eventually sell the truck. So that makes the decision more black and white: Is the ecodiesel and limited trim worth an extra $20k to you? To complicate things more, sure the ecodiesel gets better mpg but diesel fuel is also more expensive nowadays. And the ecodiesels definitely have a poor track record for reliability as well. So yeah, $20k more for the limited trim? Its up to you

Mirowpl

Reaction score
Appreciate your thoughts. I agree with what you are thinking. My 2020 is paid off, so that definitely helps. I have heard the gen 3 is so much more reliable as it was basically redesigned. I hBe a good buddy who has a 2023 with 60k miles on his gen 3 with zero problems. He drive from Georgia to Montana a lot

RAL

Reaction score
I think it is a great deal but I would get the extended warranty to help cover potential issues with the diesel. Plus the air suspension. I am not bashing the diesel but the underlying issue is that it has become very difficult to meet emissions standards with a diesel, and the complexity needed to do so has ramifications on the cost and reliability side. Get an extended warranty for one of the dealers who advertise here and put that risk back on Stellantis for a reasonable up front cost. Good luck with it!

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Appreciate your thoughts. I agree with what you are thinking. My 2020 is paid off, so that definitely helps. I have heard the gen 3 is so much more reliable as it was basically redesigned. I hBe a good buddy who has a 2023 with 60k miles on his gen 3 with zero problems. He drive from Georgia to Montana a lot
True the gen 3s are better but man they still don’t have a great track record and repairs and even routine maintenance are so much higher on ecodiesels (and limiteds since they have so much extra tech). If im being honest theres not a great way to “justify” the upgrade. It just comes down to how badly you want it and if its worth another $20k that you’ll never get back lol

Mirowpl

Reaction score
I plan to cancel my existing extended warranty ( through Ziegler) and then purchase a new one to hopefully go 8/125k power Tran is 5/100k so really looking to protect myself on all,the electronics. I am retired and have never has such a nice vehicle. Today is my wife and my 38th anniversary and she said I need to treat myself My dad passed away in May at ripe age of 95 and as my wife said we have taken care of our kids and built a nice retirement fund so just buy it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think it is a great deal but I would get the extended warranty to help cover potential issues with the diesel. Plus the air suspension. I am not bashing the diesel but the underlying issue is that it has become very difficult to meet emissions standards with a diesel, and the complexity needed to do so has ramifications on the cost and reliability side. Get an extended warranty for one of the dealers who advertise here and put that risk back on Stellantis for a reasonable up front cost. Good luck with it!
Since it's a "new" truck that has never been sold, the factory warranty starts the day he drives it off the lot. So while it's a 2022 models he still have a full 3/36 bumper to bumper and 6/60 powertrain that starts the day he buys it.

RAL

Reaction score
Thanks I am aware of this but if he wants to keep it beyond that point - and many of us do - the warranty pricing is more advantageous when new.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
$20k off MSRP is pretty good. And for me, at the risk of offending BH owners, there's no comparison between a Big Horn and a Limited. They're two totally different trucks and each has its own unique driving experience for me. If you use your truck as a truck (lots of hauling and towing) you might be better off with the BH since it's likely to have a better payload/tow rating. If you plan to use it more like a car then upgrade to the Limited for comfort. Having said that, if the Limited doesn't have ramboxes I'd keep the BH for sure. Not having ramboxes is a deal breaker for us.

I will say that having owned an EcoDiesel I'll never own a truck with that engine again, no matter which generation it is. ED anxiety is real :LOL:

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But it's a '22. The warranty may be good for 3/36 from the day he takes ownership, but what's the actual value of a 2 year old truck if there's issues that require replacing again? The low mileage option won't offset the depreciation value of a 2-year old vehicle. Are you really getting a deal at $55k?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
But it's a '22. The warranty may be good for 3/36 from the day he takes ownership, but what's the actual value of a 2 year old truck if there's issues that require replacing again? The low mileage option won't offset the depreciation value of a 2-year old vehicle. Are you really getting a deal at $55k?
You say that but yes It is still a deal.

This is Carmax in the US for Ram 1500 Limited Diesels all USED with miles and not a full warranty.
1703785443645.png

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The value would be the same as a new 23 as long as the factory warranty is still in effect. If he sells it in two years and has less than 36k miles it's still technically a 2 year old truck with factory warranty.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The value would be the same as a new 23 as long as the factory warranty is still in effect. If he sells it in two years and has less than 36k miles it's still technically a 2 year old truck with factory warranty.
Used value is differnet then new value. A 2022 will cost less then current model 2024 even if the same exact trim and millage.
No one knows or gives a crap when it left the dealerships lot, it's still a 2022.

But why do people keep talking about resale value, if you want the truck buy it and use it.
If you are worried about resale value go lease a truck. OP does 20k miles a year in a few years there will be no resale left that matters anyways.

Htsderek

Reaction score
It looks like you are coming from a Hemi, I'd suggest taking the EcoDiesel for a long drive first. It has plenty of power but it comes on differently than a gas engine. There is no instant gratification when you punch the little pedal to the floor.
I owned a 2018 Eco for 4 years and 120k miles. It had a few issues that were covered under recalls or the extended warranty, I upgraded to a 2021 Eco this year to have a low mileage truck again and restart the warranties.

Between the electronics on a Limited and the motor (which has fewer issues so far than the 2nd gen motor but would still be expensive to replace) I'd agree with getting the extended warranty.

I also second mikeru82's comment about the RamBoxes, I had them on the 2018 and really miss them on the 2021.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Being that we're on the edge of 2024, if he sells the truck in 2 years, it's a 4 year old truck! As Darksteel165 mentioned, his 20k miles per year will help with a 4 year old truck only having 40k miles.

The reason to consider resale has everything to do with our economy and market. Intentions might be to keep it, but if there are issues or lifestyle events that warrant selling, you'd want to get the most out of it. You will get considerably less on a 4 year old vehicle than you will on a 2 year old vehicle, in most cases excluding the past 2 years. As we start normalizing on inventory and prices, I think you'll see this to be the case in two years.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Being that we're on the edge of 2024, if he sells the truck in 2 years, it's a 4 year old truck! As Darksteel165 mentioned, his 20k miles per year will help with a 4 year old truck only having 40k miles.

The reason to consider resale has everything to do with our economy and market. Intentions might be to keep it, but if there are issues or lifestyle events that warrant selling, you'd want to get the most out of it. You will get considerably less on a 4 year old vehicle than you will on a 2 year old vehicle, in most cases excluding the past 2 years. As we start normalizing on inventory and prices, I think you'll see this to be the case in two years.
Which I assume is why they're offering it for 27% off MSRP. No way you're getting a '24 Limited with that kind of discount. As Darksteel165 posted, he'd be getting a brand new truck at used truck prices.

Mirowpl

Reaction score
So I pulled the trigger yesterday and bought it. Wife was with me and she approved. I did look at KBB value of the truck and the dealership was right on point for value equals sales price. I will miss the ram boxes, but my first ram from way back in 1994 didn’t have them and I did fine. I rarely tow as my boat is on a lift, I do get lumber and such. But I am mainly driving 3 hour trip 2 to 3 times a week for dr appointments. This seemed perfect for my needs . Btw I did look at some 2023 Laramie with ram boxes which y’all know are heavily discounted right. But this 2022 was even cheaper. I even called mark dodge. They had nothing on the lot to meet what I was looking for.

The ecodiesel doesn’t wpscare me as I believe by now most kinks are worked out. Heck I owned an old Oldsmobile with the converted gas to diesel back in the 80’s Now that was apiece of xxxx. Here is a pic More to come

Attachments

• IMG_4063.jpeg
    IMG_4063.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4059.jpeg
    IMG_4059.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 35

dajogejr

Reaction score
Congrats.
Fair warning, once you’re spoiled with a limited features and interior…you won’t go back LOL.
Big Horn, Laramie, Limited, and Limited again. They are beautiful trucks inside and out.

Users who are viewing this thread