5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aluminum lug nuts

JVS0302

Reaction score
I have a brand new set of Vossen wheels mounted with Toyo AT3s sitting in my garage. I picked up lug nuts from Vossen as well and could not believe how light they are. I did not realize they were aluminum at the time of ordering but now I am skeptical as to their safety. They just seem so think and light I am not sure I am comfortable using them.

I can easily return them but before I do I wanted to see if anyone has experience with aluminum lug nuts on our trucks.

Thanks

Attachments

• Vossen lugs.jpg
    Vossen lugs.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 18

Wsmith

Reaction score
I have no experience with AL either, and would not put them on something as important as what holds my wheels to the truck. Pony up and spend some money, I would not cheap out on anything safety related. Some will probably chime in and say they are fine, I have seen aluminum threading strip out on other things in my life, not taking the chance with my wheels.

JVS0302

Reaction score
I have no experience with AL lugs and would certainly feel more "comfortable" with carbon steel lugs if it were me. This is a big truck and not a Toyota Corolla. Just my 2 cents.
I have no experience with AL either, and would not put them on something as important as what holds my wheels to the truck. Pony up and spend some money, I would not cheap out on anything safety related. Some will probably chime in and say they are fine, I have seen aluminum threading strip out on other things in my life, not taking the chance with my wheels.

I agree with both of you in that I want the strongest possible option for these massive wheels and tires on a full size truck. It had nothing to do with cost, they were actually on the expensive side. I got them because they matched the Vossen wheels - didn't realize they were aluminum until I picked one up and was like holy **** how is this even an option haha.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Sure it’s not titanium? It would be crazy to make lug nuts out of aluminum. Aluminum threads don’t like going on and off like a lug but is intended to do. Normally if your making parts out of aluminum and need threaded holes that will see repeated fastener use they will helicoik the hole just to have steel threads in it.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sure it’s not titanium? It would be crazy to make lug nuts out of aluminum. Aluminum threads don’t like going on and off like a lug but is intended to do. Normally if your making parts out of aluminum and need threaded holes that will see repeated fastener use they will helicoik the hole just to have steel threads in it.

From the website ...
Vossen Wheel Lug Nuts are strictly manufactured from 7075 cold-forged aluminum and tested to ensure the safest and highest performing fasteners for aftermarket wheels. Vossen Wheel Lug Nuts are for conical 60 degree lug seats only and are meant to be used with the vehicle’s thread engagement standards.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would stay away from aluminum lug nuts. Galvanic corrosion and lugs that become fused to the studs is not something I would want to deal with.

JVS0302

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys, already have an RMA with Vossen. Not comfortable using these on my truck and are sending them back.

Picked myself up a nice set of cold forged steel lugs, great price too.

JVS0302

Reaction score
More important question....what do the wheels look like, what tires, and where are the pics of them on your truck?!

Haha great question! Just finished ceramic coating them in the garage. Have another coat to do tomorrow and then will cure a few days. I plan to mount them this weekend! Still need to put in all the center caps as well.

Vossen HF6-4 22x9.5
Toyo Open Country III 305/45r22

IMG_7350.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

river rat

Reaction score
You guys crack me up! It's not like the vossen lugs are made out of reynolds wrap. They are forged aluminum, just like the barrel, center and lip of high-end 2 and 3 piece wheels.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haha great question! Just finished ceramic coating them in the garage. Have another coat to do tomorrow and then will cure a few days. I plan to mount them this weekend! Still need to put in all the center caps as well.

Vossen HF6-4 22x9.5
Toyo Open Country III 305/45r22

View attachment 103747

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same setup I was looking at. I have the tires and debating if I wanted to just say f-it and buy the wheels now. UGH. My local tire guy can get them too.

JVS0302

Reaction score
Same setup I was looking at. I have the tires and debating if I wanted to just say f-it and buy the wheels now. UGH. My local tire guy can get them too.
Haha you have good taste! Will get some pics on here once mounted. I have seen these on a few TRX's with 35's and 37's but not in this same setup just yet. Excited to get them on.

JVS0302

Reaction score
You guys crack me up! It's not like the vossen lugs are made out of reynolds wrap. They are forged aluminum, just like the barrel, center and lip of high-end 2 and 3 piece wheels.
Lol I am sure they are fine, Vossen is a major wheel manufacturer! Just not for me once I got ahold of them.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haha you have good taste! Will get some pics on here once mounted. I have seen these on a few TRX's with 35's and 37's but not in this same setup just yet. Excited to get them on.
Looks like I'm following your builf too, I have the same exhaust sitting in my garage waiting for my truck. lol

Users who are viewing this thread