5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternator Charge Voltage

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I bought my 2019 in May of 2019. Last month I had it in for a leaking 3rd brake light, and they did a battery (get it?) of tests... including a load charge on the battery. Guess what? Mine failed. They replaced it under warranty and said they had seen a bad batch of batteries in the 2019s, like other posters mentioned.

I never had any issues regular-starting the truck, but the air suspension wouldn't auto-level, and sometimes it wouldn't remote start. Hence why they checked my battery.

Today I had a weird one where the key fob wouldn't interact with the truck even though its little red LED light flashed when I pushed buttons. Got in the truck, still no starting. After a few tries it worked fine and still works fine (I posted a separate thread about this).

FWIW, since I'm not driving much these days, occasionally I'll put a 3A Battery Tender on the truck in the morning and leave it connected all day ... after about 8 hours it'll read fully charged. My truck's battery at rest will read 12.-something, and then 14.1/14.2 when driving.

-John

kamo

Reaction score
So far I had two similar dram with mine which is equipped with e-torque. Both of them happened on the Campgrounds while we were remote starting it to use Uconnect internet in the camper and we never drove it for few days. We assume we are not draining the battery since engine was running but we were wrong and when voltage drops bellow 12, you don't want to see how truck works. All sorts of faults on the screen while looks like only 3 cylinder out of 8 run and truck vibrate and shakes ... god!!! First time it happened in Austin, Tx which was not to crazy and I thought it was my fault and I left the trailer connected to truck which drained truck battery. Second time happened in Destin, FL took 3 hours, two different charger and 6 time jumping by diffrent vehicles and cable plus me driving it 20 minutes inside the park while shaking and vibrating and I had to push the gas half way to not let it die on me. It was rough with a brand new truck! But after reaching to 13.4, engine sounded normal and we were able to drive five hours from Dastin all the way to Jacksonville and finally saw it got to 14 but satellite radio and rear camera and quite few other things didn't start back to work until the day after.
Battery tested, e-torque works, dash always shows 14.2-14.6 after 32k miles but for whatever reason it doesn't charge properly until I start driving it and as I mentioned if it drop below 12, either so I jump it, it can't easily add any juice to Battery. I don't know if someone else have had similar experience or not? I am talking about few hours of idling (with remote starter ) without actual driving the truck.

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So far I had two similar dram with mine which is equipped with e-torque. Both of them happened on the Campgrounds while we were remote starting it to use Uconnect internet in the camper and we never drove it for few days. We assume we are not draining the battery since engine was running but we were wrong and when voltage drops bellow 12, you don't want to see how truck works. All sorts of faults on the screen while looks like only 3 cylinder out of 8 run and truck vibrate and shakes ... god!!! First time it happened in Austin, Tx which was not to crazy and I thought it was my fault and I left the trailer connected to truck which drained truck battery. Second time happened in Destin, FL took 3 hours, two different charger and 6 time jumping by diffrent vehicles and cable plus me driving it 20 minutes inside the park while shaking and vibrating and I had to push the gas half way to not let it die on me. It was rough with a brand new truck! But after reaching to 13.4, engine sounded normal and we were able to drive five hours from Dastin all the way to Jacksonville and finally saw it got to 14 but satellite radio and rear camera and quite few other things didn't start back to work until the day after.
Battery tested, e-torque works, dash always shows 14.2-14.6 after 32k miles but for whatever reason it doesn't charge properly until I start driving it and as I mentioned if it drop below 12, either so I jump it, it can't easily add any juice to Battery. I don't know if someone else have had similar experience or not? I am talking about few hours of idling (with remote starter ) without actual driving the truck.
You could have an intermittent shorted cell in the battery which will pull down the batter's terminal voltage. To the charging system a shorted cell looks like an increased load and could pull down the charging voltage. This could change over charging time as the level of battery sulfation changes.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045501 miles.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I bought my 2019 in May of 2019. Last month I had it in for a leaking 3rd brake light, and they did a battery (get it?) of tests... including a load charge on the battery. Guess what? Mine failed. They replaced it under warranty and said they had seen a bad batch of batteries in the 2019s, like other posters mentioned.

I never had any issues regular-starting the truck, but the air suspension wouldn't auto-level, and sometimes it wouldn't remote start. Hence why they checked my battery.

Today I had a weird one where the key fob wouldn't interact with the truck even though its little red LED light flashed when I pushed buttons. Got in the truck, still no starting. After a few tries it worked fine and still works fine (I posted a separate thread about this).

FWIW, since I'm not driving much these days, occasionally I'll put a 3A Battery Tender on the truck in the morning and leave it connected all day ... after about 8 hours it'll read fully charged. My truck's battery at rest will read 12.-something, and then 14.1/14.2 when driving.

-John
I do the same (though got grief elsewhere here) as I don’t think a resting voltage of 12.1 or 12.2 is good for a lead acid battery. I use a 4 amp charger appx once every 7-10 days and it always reads 12.1 or .2 when first hooked up.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do the same (though got grief elsewhere here) as I don’t think a resting voltage of 12.1 or 12.2 is good for a lead acid battery. I use a 4 amp charger appx once every 7-10 days and it always reads 12.1 or .2 when first hooked up.
The 12.1 to 12.2 sounds a little low for a lead acid battery, but you need to be mindful of the temperature when you measure float voltages. At 32 F I would expect to see 2.3 to 2.35 volts per cell.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045540 miles.

kamo

Reaction score
You could have an intermittent shorted cell in the battery which will pull down the batter's terminal voltage. To the charging system a shorted cell looks like an increased load and could pull down the charging voltage. This could change over charging time as the level of battery sulfation changes.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045501 miles.
Thanks for the responds

Best regards,
Dusty
Thanks for your responding. So far haven't being able to convince dealers about the battery replacement. I have doubt that being an issue but I'll found out after replacing it either if I have to pay by myself.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
RAM should be willing to replace, if it tests bad. I know Ferd has replaced probably hundreds and hundreds based on their 2015+ f150 forum posts about their battery management system woes.

KegsByGreg

Reaction score
Still meaning to get to my resting pre and post trickle charge. I would be curious if anyone else with etorque can replicate my "low" resting state between 12.3 and 12.4 that I got most recently.
I noticed my battery voltage while driving has reduced from above 14 typically to 13.8. I checked my resting voltage at it was 12.39 after sitting for an hour. Even with regulated ‘smart’ charging, I’d expect the alternator to kick in above 14 to recharge my obviously low battery. I drove 50 miles last night and it never bumped above 13.9

edit: just went for a ride and tested battery before start (no keys nearby) rested at 12.38. Went and got my keys, opened the door and voltage on battery dropped to 12.1. Truck started up and voltage did jump to 14.26, so at least the smart alternator is finally boosted up, but I guess I have a weak battery. 2800 miles on the truck 😏

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's everyone seeing for voltage from the alternator? When I picked up the truck new I remember the battery voltage meter being on the high side of the half way mark. Now it never even gets to the half way mark. Now I'm seeing warmed up driving on a 70 degree day 13.5 - 13.6v. Cold start 13.9v. 19 Rebel 5.7 Non Etorque with about 700 miles.
The charging system voltage will vary with temperature: higher when colder, lower when warmer.

For lead acid batteries the absolute charging voltage limit for recharge should not be above 14.7 volts at 77 F (battery temperature), or 14.1 volts at 104 F. At -20 F, the charging voltage should not be above 15.3 volts.

Automotive systems are regulated to overcharge in the recharging cycle. This is to prevent sulfation. When a lead acid battery is 100% charged, the terminal voltage (no load) should be 12.36 volts or more depending on temperature.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047848 miles.

Tcoop1384

Reaction score
There was a batch of bad 12V batteries on the 1500's that we read about last year. You could just have a bad battery. The eTorque system is also supposed to "jump" your 12V battery if it needs it.
Just get your battery checked out.

How does the etorque system “jump” the 12v system?? My battery had died twice (12v) and it would not start. The 48v battery was and is fine. If I could have jumped it with that I would have saved me from being stranded....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How does the etorque system “jump” the 12v system?? My battery had died twice (12v) and it would not start. The 48v battery was and is fine. If I could have jumped it with that I would have saved me from being stranded....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No idea. That was a data point from the Ram launch on "why eTorque." Maybe it was in the same bucket as other features that didn't make it to production.

West1986

Reaction score
My etorque didn't jump mine when my battery was dead. Now the battery voltage will be 13.2 and drop and maintain 12.6 all while driving. Called the dealership and they said that much of a drop needs to be looked at especially since it's happening while driving. I guess we'll see......

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My etorque didn't jump mine when my battery was dead. Now the battery voltage will be 13.2 and drop and maintain 12.6 all while driving. Called the dealership and they said that much of a drop needs to be looked at especially since it's happening while driving. I guess we'll see......
12.6 is very low for driving under"Load"should be up there at 14.7 all the to almost 15. seems hard to get these dodges up that high,for some reason....P,s chevy having the same issue.just thought i throw that out..its not just us!

Jnav

Reaction score
Any resolution to this? Drove mine off the lot last Saturday and this is EXACTLY what I’m noticing

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any resolution to this? Drove mine off the lot last Saturday and this is EXACTLY what I’m noticing
all of also had that issue...till we all jump up to the next size battery.you probably still have(or using)the battery that came with your truck... 🤔 ?

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am, thank you for the insight. 730 CCA seems so small for the hemi anyways.. will upgrade batt ASAP
just make sure its a h8 agm.not going to recommend any type of battery you should get,just make sure its not h7 acid lead 😄 (y)

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
Got a new battery today. Upon start read 14v driving around town dropped to 13.5. Never really paid attention before but thought it would be closer to 14.

2019 Ram 1500 ORP “long bed” - setting #5 bilsteins, 2”mopar ucas, hellwig sway bar, tonneau cover, bed mat, 20” Laramie sport wheels on 285/60r20 falkens. Flowmaster outlaw.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got a new battery today. Upon start read 14v driving around town dropped to 13.5. Never really paid attention before but thought it would be closer to 14.

2019 Ram 1500 ORP “long bed” - setting #5 bilsteins, 2”mopar ucas, hellwig sway bar, tonneau cover, bed mat, 20” Laramie sport wheels on 285/60r20 falkens. Flowmaster outlaw.
what type(specs)battery did you get 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread