5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alpine system specs

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Overall pretty happy with the Alpine system but looking to replace the front dash speakers.

Anyone know the resistance of the front dash speakers? I saw the base system are 8 ohm but have not seen for the Alpine.

Know the factory amp output to each speaker with Alpine system?

Trying to match ohms even if it means soldering a resistor in.

Looking at the Kenwood Excelon 3.5", they are 4 ohm and only 83db sensitivity.

Last edited:

sppb32

Reaction score
On the Alpine system all speakers are 2 ohm, but you don't have to match impedance, there are a few 2 and 3 ohm speakers out there.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, that helped a lot knowing the ohm rating.

Knowing factory speakers are 2 ohms, I ended up getting these and some 600 Hz high pass crossovers. Their sensitivity is OK and ohm rating close to the factory. Total was $42 after my rewards points and a $15 gift certificate code I had due to shipping problems on an order last summer. Bought the speakers and crossovers open box.

I just couldn't justify the price for the Infinity Reference considering they are not on sale right now (I've had them in previous vehicles, usually bought them around Thanksgiving when 50% off, though this past year they were only 25% off).

Thinking of just disconnecting the middle front dash speaker after installing these.

sppb32

Reaction score
The GX are a bit better than the Club ones, but that's ok.
The JBL look the same as the Infinity but they sound much better in my opinion, i have the JBL GTO 329 on mine pushing over 100 watts to them and they sound amazing, they are sold out everywhere though.
The centre channel has it's purpose just keep it there, the left and right channel will overpower it but it's needed for the Android auto or Apple play

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like the GX and Club are basically the same, except Club are 3 ohms and GX are 2.3. Though I was unable to find the composition of the woofer and twtter, or the shape of the tweeter, for the GX. I think both are synthetic woofer with rubber surround, and semi dome slik tweeter, but not sure. The GX aren't listed on JBL's website. I think with the crossover they'll be great.

Code2medic

Reaction score
I’d say take a look at these guys are great and explain and tell you everything

sppb32

Reaction score
Looks like the GX and Club are basically the same, except Club are 3 ohms and GX are 2.3. Though I was unable to find the composition of the woofer and twtter, or the shape of the tweeter, for the GX. I think both are synthetic woofer with rubber surround, and semi dome slik tweeter, but not sure. The GX aren't listed on JBL's website. I think with the crossover they'll be great.
GX has a better coil. less impedance and can handle more power.

Mdalke

Reaction score
Overall pretty happy with the Alpine system but looking to replace the front dash speakers.

Anyone know the resistance of the front dash speakers? I saw the base system are 8 ohm but have not seen for the Alpine.

Know the factory amp output to each speaker with Alpine system?

Trying to match ohms even if it means soldering a resistor in.

Looking at the Kenwood Excelon 3.5", they are 4 ohm and only 83db sensitivity.
Have you tried the JBL GX 3.5 in your dash?

GMetal

Reaction score
Anyone know the power output of the Alpine amp and the crossover points for the speakers? Also is it a Class A/B or D amplifier? Its interesting the aftermarket hasn't moved to 2 ohm speakers when the OEMs tend to lean this way in my experience.

Kevan0317

Reaction score
Anyone know the power output of the Alpine amp and the crossover points for the speakers? Also is it a Class A/B or D amplifier? Its interesting the aftermarket hasn't moved to 2 ohm speakers when the OEMs tend to lean this way in my experience.
Factory Alpine amp is just a little over 500watts. I believe it's 100watts per speaker. The front doors and dash L/R use the same line-out from the amp, so the door gets ~50watts and the dash corner gets ~50watts. The rear doors get 100watts. And the subwoofer gets 100watts.

*This is all hearsay info based on other content i've read online. None of this is confirmed by Ram or Alpine.

David J M

Reaction score
Factory Alpine amp is just a little over 500watts. I believe it's 100watts per speaker. The front doors and dash L/R use the same line-out from the amp, so the door gets ~50watts and the dash corner gets ~50watts. The rear doors get 100watts. And the subwoofer gets 100watts.

*This is all hearsay info based on other content i've read online. None of this is confirmed by Ram or Alpine.
Hello, I have a few questions about the factory amp being changed to a bigger amp using the output to RCA converter with the adjustment screw for either side.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Watch this video and it shows how to replace the factory amp with an aftermarket one.

Users who are viewing this thread