5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlphaRex tail light problems

jkilp911

Reaction score
I recently upgraded the halogen headlights/tail lights on my 22 1500 Big Horn to AlphaRex LUXX series.
The headlights work as expected, but I’m having all sorts of problems with the tail lights. They’re supposed to be plug and play, but they’ve been anything but.
The first time I installed them, they worked until I stepped on the brakes. Then, the tail lights died, but everything else worked. AlphaRex (who I had to contact via Facebook) sent me modules that fixed the tail light issue, and everything functioned as expected, however, the startup sequence (the whole reason I bought the lights) stopped functioning. So, they sent me another module, and I’m back to square one. Lights work till you step on the brakes. They insisted they tested them and they worked, but I call BS.
Anyone else have problems with their tail lights?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Return them.

Lights are plug and play unless they are incompatible with your truck.
It's very common for each light to have a module you mount out of site.

I have replaced halogen units with LEDs with no problems.

Lpz

Reaction score
Is this problem for the trucks that have OEM LED Tails w/o blind spot sensors? Or the OEM Halogen Tails?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is this problem for the trucks that have OEM LED Tails w/o blind spot sensors? Or the OEM Halogen Tails?
Most likely just those with halogen.

The trucks can sense problems based upon voltage and other factors, so when changing from Halogen to LED, there are generally additional modules that need to be installed for them to work properly.
Op also says these have "startup sequences" which are handled by the device itself as soon as it receives power.
For example I have a light stip I have not installed yet and when I wire it up to 12V (not installed in my truck) it has a "startup sequence" where it lights up the LEDs in order until it gets them all, then goes solid.

Lpz

Reaction score
Most likely just those with halogen.

The trucks can sense problems based upon voltage and other factors, so when changing from Halogen to LED, there are generally additional modules that need to be installed for them to work properly.
Op also says these have "startup sequences" which are handled by the device itself as soon as it receives power.
For example I have a light stip I have not installed yet and when I wire it up to 12V (not installed in my truck) it has a "startup sequence" where it lights up the LEDs in order until it gets them all, then goes solid.
Makes sense, I was also looking at getting this brand of tails but was curious as to why people were having issues. Other hypothesis I had was perhaps they ordered and installed, not realizing they have blind spot sensors and then these tails won’t work right since the website states it’s not compatible with factory LED’s that do have the blind spot sensor. I do appreciate the insight though.

U

User_119824

I installed some Recon OLED tails yesterday on my truck that came with halogen. There is a module installed on the back of the light assembly that I assume sends the correct voltage signal to the truck. No issues with them mechanically, but the fitment.....ugh. I almost went with these lights but read the complaints and decided against it.

scotj1t

Reaction score
I recently upgraded the halogen headlights/tail lights on my 22 1500 Big Horn to AlphaRex LUXX series.
The headlights work as expected, but I’m having all sorts of problems with the tail lights. They’re supposed to be plug and play, but they’ve been anything but.
The first time I installed them, they worked until I stepped on the brakes. Then, the tail lights died, but everything else worked. AlphaRex (who I had to contact via Facebook) sent me modules that fixed the tail light issue, and everything functioned as expected, however, the startup sequence (the whole reason I bought the lights) stopped functioning. So, they sent me another module, and I’m back to square one. Lights work till you step on the brakes. They insisted they tested them and they worked, but I call BS.
I have exact same problem. I am waiting for call back from AlphaRex. Were you able to get this fixed, or did you give up?

lonestarram-23

Reaction score

I have same headlights & tail lights. Go into alpha obd & change to led lighting

Users who are viewing this thread