5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlphaRex LED Upgrade in a '22 BigHorn Rocky Ridge - Advice Plz

Deanwam8

Reaction score
Hello All...I'm new here...

I just bought a 2022 Ram 1500 eTorq with 6500 miles...Rocky Ridge trim. Love the truck (got it for a good price)...however it has stock Halogens. It's the one thing on this otherwise awesome looking truck that looks REALLY out of place (to me). I just cannot BELIEVE they would even consider still putting halogens on trucks of this price. I mean 30K Chevy sedans come stock with LEDs nowadays lol. Anyway, I have checked with multiple Ram dealerships and they all say that there is no "plug and play" way to upgrade the halogens to OEM Mopar LEDs. They apparently have "different wiring" etc. I cannot believe Dodge would make it impossible for a consumer to pay good money and upgrade to OEM LEDs after the fact.

I then start looking into Aftermarket solutions. My RAM dealerships looked like they wanted to throw something at me when I asked if they would install aftermarket headlamps (not just bulbs...full assemblies). I was looking at Morimoto options but settled on the brand new AlphaRex MKII 2500-style Nova series. These are truly plug and play and don't even need a converted if coming from stock halogens. Sounds easy right? WRONG. After tons of digging and searching on multiple forums, I find that it is damn near impossible to find someone who has installed these or any other aftermarket Headlamp assembly for that matter..and not had error messages and codes (most notably parking light bulb out messages or turn signal issues). I called AlphaRex and the service manager said that the vast majority of those problems are with classic Rams or Rams 2018 and below. He said 2019+ have much much lower rates of codes and error messages. He said once in awhile they may run into some wonkiness with DRLs in the newer yeats but simply turning off DRLs in Uconnect 5 has solved any other issues he has seen. I still didn't want to take the chance because I don't have the time or desire to mess with AlphaOBD or resistors (both of which only sometimes work), so I cancelled my order and they were nice enough to call it back and not charge me return shipping.

My question is .... is there anyone out there who has used AlphaRex LEDs....coming from stock halogens..in a 2022 Ram...and if so, did you still get codes or error messages? To be fair, I do believe almost every single complaint I found online was indeed for 2018 or below...but would love to hear if these headlamps behave better in the newer (2022+) Rams. Thanks so much.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did the conversion to OEM 2 years ago. @Jimmy07 her on the forum makes conversion harness for this.
Need AlfaOBD and program the BCM to LED and they work as factory.

Cab2344

Reaction score
I installed the Morimoto headlights and tail lights last year and have had no problems on my 2019. Other than taking off the grill it was plug and play. They are super bright.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've had the Morimoto XB Gen 2 for the last 6 months, no issues or codes knock on wood. Plug and play with the provided wiring, did not need to change any settings in the BCM

Deanwam8

Reaction score
I did the conversion to OEM 2 years ago. @Jimmy07 her on the forum makes conversion harness for this.
Need AlfaOBD and program the BCM to LED and they work as factory.

Thanks for the info Manny! I was talking to Jeremy at Retroshop and he had said that when installing true Mopar stock OEM LEDs you don't need to reprogram. Can you confirm that to prevent codes you do have to do this? Thanks so much.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Manny! I was talking to Jeremy at Retroshop and he had said that when installing true Mopar stock OEM LEDs you don't need to reprogram. Can you confirm that to prevent codes you do have to do this? Thanks so much.
You need to tell the BCM that there are LED's installed, otherwise you will get bulb failure messages.
Her are the settings you have to change for them to work like factory. All Led's to 'Present".

20220306_103953.jpg

kkniskern

Reaction score
Installed the MK2 Pro from Alpha rex as the Halogen reflector lamps are on indefinite backorder from dealer. Was also told no upgrade from Halogen reflector in my 2020 1500 to a projector or LED. I believe there is likely a way, but OEM LED lamps were about 1500 each. My alpha rex were $600 for the pair. You get what you pay for. The Alpharex are not bright, and I have had intermittent issues with turn signal bulb out warnings. resetting power on the truck seems to fix it for a while, but it has come back. I will be looking at Morimoto options soon as the alpha rex (although looks great on the truck) are just not working consistently and I need lights to work all the time.

Deanwam8

Reaction score
Thank you to all for your valued insight regarding lighting options. I ended up going with Stock OEM Mopar LEDs (Laramie Trim) from RetroShopLLC. Jeremy also sells the wiring harness with the resistor modules necessary. I have had everything installed for about 3 weeks now and have had no issues, no warnings and no bulb out messages as of yet. The DRLs are not quite as bright as I would have hoped but I think that's prb just stock MOPAR Ram lights vs other makes (GMC and Ford etc). I also wish there was a wayto change stock DRLs from white to Amber. Otherwise in my opinion, LEDs just look way better than the stock halogens and I'm happy with them. Big thumbs up to Jeremy and Retroshop..

scotj1t

Reaction score
You need to tell the BCM that there are LED's installed, otherwise you will get bulb failure messages.
Her are the settings you have to change for them to work like factory. All Led's to 'Present".

View attachment 160462
Where do you get the settings changed on BCM. Is that something the dealer needs to do?

Users who are viewing this thread