5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

afphinfan

Reaction score
I’m on the fence about getting the Android version as I’d need to pick up a cheap tablet as well or the Windows version as it relies on an old version of .NET. I have an old ELM unit but may grab the EX or MX.

I sent an email to the AlphaObd contact asking if he needed help updating the Windows version to .NET 5. I’ll see what he says.

The main thing I want right now is to replace the side mirrors as I am not a fan of the tow mirrors. Just need the part numbers for the mirrors and modules.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m on the fence about getting the Android version as I’d need to pick up a cheap tablet as well or the Windows version as it relies on an old version of .NET. I have an old ELM unit but may grab the EX or MX.

I sent an email to the AlphaObd contact asking if he needed help updating the Windows version to .NET 5. I’ll see what he says.

The main thing I want right now is to replace the side mirrors as I am not a fan of the tow mirrors. Just need the part numbers for the mirrors and modules.
I have a brand new 2021 build model HP laptop, and the windows version works fine on it. I have no clue what .NET it is, but it has to be newer. The AlfaOBD website is way out of date as far as description, and there have been numerous software updates, with the latest one being a couple weeks ago.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is an alphaobd alternative for IPhone/IOS? We have iPhones, iPads, MacBook Pro, etc. would like to not have to buy a tablet to recal for larger tires. Thanks

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is an alphaobd alternative for IPhone/IOS? We have iPhones, iPads, MacBook Pro, etc. would like to not have to buy a tablet to recal for larger tires. Thanks
Try Jscan. It’s ~$25 for one VIN license. It only goes up to 2018, but the setting changes are still the same. You would still need the gateway bypass and OBDLink MX+ (necessary for iOS devices).

afphinfan

Reaction score
I have a brand new 2021 build model HP laptop, and the windows version works fine on it. I have no clue what .NET it is, but it has to be newer. The AlfaOBD website is way out of date as far as description, and there have been numerous software updates, with the latest one being a couple weeks ago.
That does help to know the website specs listed are out of date ... thank you. Microsoft .NET is a framework that the developer used (likely written in C# using Visual Studio). The required Framework is listed as 4 and the last release from MS was 4.8 back in 2019 (ancient in computer years). The current one is .NET 5 (drop the Framework moniker) and .NET 6 going forward. This is what we currently develop with in our agency so I offered to help. Sounds like its possible that he may already be current: cool!

nekit

Reaction score
That does help to know the website specs listed are out of date ... thank you. Microsoft .NET is a framework that the developer used (likely written in C# using Visual Studio). The required Framework is listed as 4 and the last release from MS was 4.8 back in 2019 (ancient in computer years). The current one is .NET 5 (drop the Framework moniker) and .NET 6 going forward. This is what we currently develop with in our agency so I offered to help. Sounds like its possible that he may already be current: cool!
You can download the current Windows trial version for free and check it out, before you buy. Not sure if you can tell what .NET version it is?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I run it on an old T500 Thinkpad with a 500GB SSD I got Win10 Pro update to install over a Win7 Pro about a year ago and well after the "free" period. It's always kept updated. Currently 2021-05 KB4601554 for .NET 3.5 and 4.8 (May 11 patch) on WIN10 19042.985. Don't care if the .NET is older, it's patched.

ETA, just looked and it only has the base .NET 3.5 and TCP Port sharing for 4.8 installed.

afphinfan

Reaction score
Appreciate the advice, I went ahead and ordered the MX+, AUGOCOM FCA 12+8 bypass and downloaded the app to my desktop. Will move it to my laptop and install ... I like that it allows you to de-register an old laptop and re-register a new one. My old laptop was awesome ... 10 years ago 🙃

Also placed the order for my new mirrors, door modules and switch. I may have figured out some of the part numbers for mirrors ... they certainly could have made it easier thats for sure.

Toperz

Reaction score
Hey all.
Is this normal when I'm selecting Body Computer and Control Unit lets say MY2013-17 PowerNet then switches to MY2021 PowerNet when connecting ?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey all.
Is this normal when I'm selecting Body Computer and Control Unit lets say MY2013-17 PowerNet then switches to MY2021 PowerNet when connecting ?
Yes

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

tegs

Reaction score
Success! I was able to connect to the Body Computer, and enable my integrate trailer brake controller. All total is was 5 settings that had to change (enable brake controller module, then enable the 4 CSM menu items to see the trailer settings menus). Odd, it takes a few minutes before the Trailer Settings menu showed up, at first I didn't think it worked. All totaled, it was $220 to get the factory trailer brake controller installed and I still have the AlphOBD software, and SGW bypass hardware for future upgrades.
Can you tell me step by step in which order you did this, I get service trailer Tow error message on my cluster, the tarailer shows up in settings, I'm wondering if I am doing in the wrong order.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all.

The Android version or the Windows version in Regular mode will switch to what it detects/thinks you have.

834k3r

Reaction score
I'm a new-ish Ram owner (March '21 buy date) and have heard lots of discussion about AlphaOBD. Finally digging into it, and now I'm sad.

I'm an iPhone user, and there's no iPhone app. I may have to buy a cheap Android device just for AlphaOBD.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm a new-ish Ram owner (March '21 buy date) and have heard lots of discussion about AlphaOBD. Finally digging into it, and now I'm sad.

I'm an iPhone user, and there's no iPhone app. I may have to buy a cheap Android device just for AlphaOBD.
I went the Windows route and am happy with it (I'm an iPhone user but not a Mac guy so have a Windows laptop).

If I was an Apple only guy I would do the same thing I did for my BT gauges in my last truck:

- Bought a cheap pre-paid Android phone (with enough memory) but never activated it.
- Used the BT to connect to my OBDLink LX for gauges.
- Used the Wi-Fi to download/update apps, settings, and operating system (via hotspot from my phone or Wi-Fi from my house).

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went the Windows route and am happy with it (I'm an iPhone user but not a Mac guy so have a Windows laptop).

If I was an Apple only guy I would do the same thing I did for my BT gauges in my last truck:

- Bought a cheap pre-paid Android phone (with enough memory).
- Used the BT to connect to my OBDLink LX for gauges.
- Used the Wi-Fi to download/update apps and operating system (via hotspot from my phone or Wi-Fi from my house).
Agree 100%. Windows is the only way to go if you're an iPhone owner. I purchased the Windows version for this very reason and have been very satisfied with the software...and it's easier on my old eyes versus trying to do it on an Android. Some of those menus in AlfaOBD are huge and scrolling through them on my laptop is much easier than what I've seen on the Androids.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree 100%. Windows is the only way to go if you're an iPhone owner. I purchased the Windows version for this very reason and have been very satisfied with the software...and it's easier on my old eyes versus trying to do it on an Android. Some of those menus in AlfaOBD are huge and scrolling through them on my laptop is much easier than what I've seen on the Androids.
That is a big plus for me as well.

I have also created a Word version of my BCM so I can scroll alongside to make notes when I make changes (or can ctrl+F to find a setting in the document so I know about how far to scroll through the AlfaOBD menu list to find what I'm looking for).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread