5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MathieuHM

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I can't make up my mind on tires for my truck. I have the ORG. I do most of my driving on pavement, but dirt roads here are some sort of clay mud that sucks your boots off your feet. Hybride would help me on my hunting trips. But AT's woukd be better on the road.
Anyone out there with the same dilemma?

Goldsy

Reaction score
If most of your driving is on pavement, I'd go for the ATs. They do very well in the mud as well. I'm a big fan of the Falken Wildpeak AT3, they could handle pretty much anything I threw at them, including snow. There are a lot of AT options out there, unless you have 22s, like I do.

Sugar

Reaction score
I debated this too. I primarily pavement ride and have friends running hybrids year round. I live in western Pennsylvania so we see some snow also to note. My biggest factor was the snow and the small bit of added safety potentially when towing the 2 (soon to be 3) boys around. I ordered Toyo OC AT3 which are going on once my shop decided to stop getting sick 😂

MathieuHM

Reaction score
I have a set of winter tires to deal with the worst months of winter here in eastern Canada.
I have been stuck between the Cooper AT3 XLT, Toyo AT3 and Wildpeak from Falken. It's when I saw the newer cooper rugged Trek that I started looking into hybrids. Most ATs I researched, people say they suck in mud. Any ATs I mentioned good/not too bad in mud?

During the fall, the whole roads get covered with 1-2" of slick peanut buttery mud and my current Falken AT3WA (standard with OPG) feels like I am a deer on a frozen lake.

I think any of these would serve me well, but I can't pull the trigger.

Goldsy, how were the WP in mud?

BilletMotoRam

Reaction score
+1 for cooper rugged treks, that’s what I plan on getting soon a 275/60-20 measures out to be a 33.4

Attachments

• 9AB5F519-4715-4966-8DE9-5AD30BC95558.png
    9AB5F519-4715-4966-8DE9-5AD30BC95558.png
    627.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 5256D844-5285-4F5E-B029-576E1873D451.png
    5256D844-5285-4F5E-B029-576E1873D451.png
    652.7 KB · Views: 53

XmikeX

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as OP I need new tires but cant decide on what AT's to go with. I'm in Colorado and it does snow but its not very deep and I don't go off roading in deep snow/mud. I have been looking at KO's, wildpeaks, and toyo AT's. the Falkens seem to do well all around in snow and normal driving but they are heavy weighing almost 10-15 LBS more than the other options. The Toyo's seem to get good reviews but haven't heard much about their snow handling. the KO's seem to be generally a safe bet but their snow traction seems to be hit or miss from users. I was also looking at Duratracks but seems like the other tires get a little bit better reviews from individuals.

I will be going with 275/60/20 and do mainly commuting and the snow doesn't stick for that long. I just want tires that can handle snow if I do need to be out driving in it.

Goldsy

Reaction score
I have a set of winter tires to deal with the worst months of winter here in eastern Canada.
I have been stuck between the Cooper AT3 XLT, Toyo AT3 and Wildpeak from Falken. It's when I saw the newer cooper rugged Trek that I started looking into hybrids. Most ATs I researched, people say they suck in mud. Any ATs I mentioned good/not too bad in mud?

During the fall, the whole roads get covered with 1-2" of slick peanut buttery mud and my current Falken AT3WA (standard with OPG) feels like I am a deer on a frozen lake.

I think any of these would serve me well, but I can't pull the trigger.

Goldsy, how were the WP in mud?
I had them on my Xterra, two Nova Scotia winters didn’t bother them at all. Not super good on ice, but nothing is really. The Wildpeaks laughed at the snow. Didn’t matter how much snow there was, they ploughed right through it. Mud performance is very good. Not as good as a full out mud tire, but they outperformed the KO2 I had before them. Quieter on the highway too.

BilletMotoRam

Reaction score
What ran width, can you post pics, and is your truck lifted?
This is another members truck with the cooper rugged treks 275/60-20, 9” wide wheel stock suspension, no air ride, no ORP. No rubbing, My plan is to put them on stock wheels.

Attachments

• 855CF4B3-E653-4445-ABD1-9A835ED17ECE.png
    855CF4B3-E653-4445-ABD1-9A835ED17ECE.png
    810.7 KB · Views: 79

MathieuHM

Reaction score
Looks nice, Rugged treks run a little bigger. According to specs 275/70r18 are 33.6". I was also thinking maybe 295/70r18, but they don't come in that size. My plan was to add 1" in front with Bilsteins 5100s. That would give me 2" Again, I am not into changing the UCAs. Do we really need to with 2" level? I wouldn't want to pop a ball joint out in the woods.

1D32319

Reaction score

IMO, most all terrains will do that. They don't clear as well as dedicated mud tires as eventually turn into racing slicks. BFGs are one of the worst IME.

Those Rugged Treks look like a decent design. While not as good on the mud as a dedicated mud tire, it should be better than an AT and also be OK on the road when it rains.

Users who are viewing this thread