5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All I want for Xmas is an engine oil cooler

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread - but if anyone is looking for the oil cooler, I found out where it is when mine ruptured when I was out of town. This happened at 60,680 miles and I had to get my truck towed to the nearest dealer. That was 6 weeks ago and I found out yesterday Chrysler Assist and my Dealer are going to both chip in to help me with the repairs. That is the good news. Bad news is they both chipped the same amount - $0.00 each.

Good thing I bought the extended warranty - they are covering 10X the total of the combined donations from the dealer and Chrysler.... The only bad thing is $0 + $0 X 10 = $0.

They have offered to let me pay the remaining balance.
What was happening in your truck that caused a cooler rupture?

Tow dad

Reaction score
I tow 7k travel trailer with 2020 5.7 etorque. Live in CA and pulled to CO, MT, ID, Canada, etc., up lots of mountain-type highways and roads, will hit 265 oil temp pulling up bigger hills/altitude mostly in summer, and up to 4k rpm. Use Penzoil Ultimate Premium (PUP). I understand PUP/good syn oil can handle this but worry about engine longevity at that heat, even though its usually less than 10-minutes at a time then cools when descending. Radiator temp can get to 230 on occasion. Would appreciate any info or experience on adding larger or auxiliary oil cooler to our 5th gen hemis. Saw a blog that aux engine oil coolers can slightly lower oil pressure and possibly briefly delay oil flow on start-up if not installed properly (need to be installed lower than oil filter).

Users who are viewing this thread