5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All I want for Xmas is an engine oil cooler

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
anybody have a lead on adding an additional engine oil cooler, or getting a better one than the 5th Gen 5.7 comes with?

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not bad, just noticed that when towing near limits and doing the mountains, the oil temps go to 230-238 for a bit. Otherwise, no issue, but would like to keep them in the 220s.

The trans temps always seem good, and what’s funny is that I don’t see the engine water temp climb as much...

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Perfectly fine temperature for the oil, maybe change it more frequently the more you tow. Oil coolers can actually keep the oil too cool where operating temperature is never achieved. The other downside to cooler oil is moisture build up in the oil as it never gets hot enough to evaporate off water. Most oil coolers I researched in the past keep the oil at 180 F. There are failure points at each fitting to think about as well

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The spec. sheet for Pennzoil Ultra Premium 5-20W motor lists the flash point as 208C., which is over 400 degrees F. Without knowing Pennzoil's actual normal operating range for temperature tolerance, oil temps 240-270 are still considered in range under increased engine loads. I've seen some oil blenders claim oil temps as high as 300F are within their range. As Scram1500 points out, there are negatives to artificially suppressing oil temperature. Increased oil change intervals is based on usage. This is why most truck manufacturers have a 'normal' and 'severe' duty maintenance schedules for oil changes.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045561 miles.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I appreciate all the oil advice, but my question is on oil coolers.

where is the stock oil cooler?

thx!

Scram1500

Reaction score

thx!
I can't be sure but it's usually near the oil filter location. Sometimes the cooler is the oil filter bracket itself

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score

thx!
The oil cooler is a module located between the oil filter and the engine block. It has two coolant lines (hoses) going to it.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045561 miles.

BowDown

Reaction score
Not bad, just noticed that when towing near limits and doing the mountains, the oil temps go to 230-238 for a bit. Otherwise, no issue, but would like to keep them in the 220s.

The trans temps always seem good, and what’s funny is that I don’t see the engine water temp climb as much...

Thats not hot, leave it alone. Adding an oil cooler will take you in the wrong direction with oil temps too cool.
I have a Setrab 13 row on my Z06 and sometimes it keeps the oil too cool, 180 degrees. During race conditions, hot lapping the car, it only gets to 220 degrees, it really needs to be at 190-200 during regular driving and 220-240 when beating on it. This truck no way needs that kinda oil cooling

Last edited:

pMak26

Reaction score

thx!

Take the advice.

From an oil engineer, your oil temps are perfectly fine.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
The oil cooler also uses heat from the coolant lines to heat up the oil so it gets to the proper operating temperature quicker.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The oil cooler also uses heat from the coolant lines to heat up the oil so it gets to the proper operating temperature quicker.
Good point! The warmer the oil the better it flows. Could be important in cold weather climates in reducing engine wear and decreasing fuel consumption.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045573 miles.

dannymcd

Reaction score
I'm hitting 275° towing and running at 245° constantly when towing at 80°F ambiant, <1000ft elevation at 60% relative humidity. I'm looking to put one in as well and before anyone tells me not to, please relax. I'm going to put in an inline thermostat that will bypass it at temps under 220° I know way too much about the science behind this subject. All the calculations in the world won't tell me where the lines are.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Oil will run a little hotter, but if it doesn't go over 250 for a short time it should be good.

pMak26

Reaction score
I'm hitting 275° towing and running at 245° constantly when towing at 80°F ambiant, <1000ft elevation at 60% relative humidity. I'm looking to put one in as well and before anyone tells me not to, please relax. I'm going to put in an inline thermostat that will bypass it at temps under 220° I know way too much about the science behind this subject. All the calculations in the world won't tell me where the lines are.

How heavy is that tow?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
and how fast. Speed makes a big difference

silver billet

Reaction score
If you end up doing this, please document your parts/progress and report back with how it works (changes in oil temps unloaded as well as towing)! I'd be interested in this as well if you can keep towing oil temps below 250 without changing normal oil temps in any way.

Lucas Jackson

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread - but if anyone is looking for the oil cooler, I found out where it is when mine ruptured when I was out of town. This happened at 60,680 miles and I had to get my truck towed to the nearest dealer. That was 6 weeks ago and I found out yesterday Chrysler Assist and my Dealer are going to both chip in to help me with the repairs. That is the good news. Bad news is they both chipped the same amount - $0.00 each.

Good thing I bought the extended warranty - they are covering 10X the total of the combined donations from the dealer and Chrysler.... The only bad thing is $0 + $0 X 10 = $0.

They have offered to let me pay the remaining balance.

Users who are viewing this thread