5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Admittedly I didn't read through 108 pages of posts, so sorry if this information is posted somewhere in this thread. But I did attempt to use the "search" function and came up empty.

Is there a setting I can change through AlphOBD that will make at least one of my front USB ports "charge only"? I'm tired of having Android Auto automatically try and activate when someone plugs a phone in.
I replied to your other thread you made about this exact same thing.

blacksheep37

Reaction score
I replied to your other thread you made about this exact same thing.
Yes you did. And thank you for your input. I have a data blocker in my amazon cart.

I figured that I'd post this one to see if anyone with AlfaOBD knowledge could add anything to the conversation.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
Crazy question but does alpa work with the 23s? Worked fine on my 19 i think i had to choose 13-17 at the time because there was no options for 19.

I can connect my mx+ using the autel bypass cable and when i try to connect to any of the bcm modules i get some ecu error and when i click continue it shows connected but doesnt show the named module at the top, i think it just says unknown. When i navigate to the car icon and select the configurable option i get a requested procedure not supported error.

What am i doing wrong? Trying to configure fogs not to drop out and turn on factory remote start option

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Crazy question but does alpa work with the 23s? Worked fine on my 19 i think i had to choose 13-17 at the time because there was no options for 19.

I can connect my mx+ using the autel bypass cable and when i try to connect to any of the bcm modules i get some ecu error and when i click continue it shows connected but doesnt show the named module at the top, i think it just says unknown. When i navigate to the car icon and select the configurable option i get a requested procedure not supported error.

What am i doing wrong? Trying to configure fogs not to drop out and turn on factory remote start option

It does work for the 23's because I've made 3-4 changes to my 23 already. Make sure you have the latest version, select Body computer DT MY2022+ PowerNet and it will automatically choose MY2023.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
It does work for the 23's because I've made 3-4 changes to my 23 already. Make sure you have the latest version, select Body computer DT MY2022+ PowerNet and it will automatically choose MY2023.
R u using android or windows?

Stryker6040

Reaction score
Thanks, I guess Ill try again tonight. I did confirm I have the latest version of Alpa, not sure on the firmware for the OBDmx+ but ill check that out as well.
Got it working today. Not sure what I did different but it went right through.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
First I'm seeing of it opening due to heat on the highway. What do it determine as too warm? I've hit 220 degrees on the coolant before on the highway
Why would it not open to control temps on freeway? And 220 isn't an issue. The factory fans don't even kick in until like 225. If you are hitting 235+ then I'd be concerned. These newer engines can run a lot warmer than old school ones most people are used to

Ramboh

Reaction score
That still doesn't make sense. The shutters will open if the coolant gets too warm
I'm not talking about the lower dam, I mean shutters that block off the airflow to the rad. Would like to keep oil temps a little cooler. Just wondering if I can control those shutters to open a little sooner.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't believe AlfaOBD has an answer for that. As an alternative, I have come across a few other postings where owners have removed the shutters entirely with the exception of the top and bottom segments. Supposedly that workaround still satisfies the system and it won't trip any fault codes. Just going off of what I have read. I can't personally validate those claims.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The only reason it was designed for, aerodynamics to adjust epa ratings for sure.

I just havnt seen or read anywhere that it would open up on the highway ever which is why I asked about your information.
So you honestly thing the engineers would allow it to stay closed and destroy an engine, prompting warranty replacement, all for the sake of not losing that .5 mpg under extreme conditions where the engine won't stay cool?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not talking about the lower dam, I mean shutters that block off the airflow to the rad. Would like to keep oil temps a little cooler. Just wondering if I can control those shutters to open a little sooner.
The active air dam has nothing to do with cooling. You can get an unlocked PCM with custom tune to lower the turn on temp for your electric fansz that is really the best option. The grill shutters won't make that big of a difference.

Another thing you can do is buy the lower grill insert for the Ecodeisel trucks that is actually open like the top grills. That will help get moe airflow to the radiator, even with grill shutters are closed.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So you honestly thing the engineers would allow it to stay closed and destroy an engine, prompting warranty replacement, all for the sake of not losing that .5 mpg under extreme conditions where the engine won't stay cool?
Without going into explaining all the reasons why, yes.

A new healthy engine is likely to endure stressful conditions then an older worn engine outside of warranty.
These trucks are made to last 60k miles, nothing more. Ram doesn't want you driving the same Hemi for 200k miles without it breaking unfortunately. Infinite growth...

Users who are viewing this thread