5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

Apexbasher

Reaction score
I got the OBDII reader, bypass, and AlfaOBD for PC (everything else I have is iOS) and am trying to enable the ITBC I installed but I cannot find a place in Alfa to actually CHANGE any settings. The only place I can see them is by pressing "Read System Status" in the Status/Faults tab. The PC version does not have the "car with the hood up" icon everybody is describing. How do I get there?

Last edited:

saturn298

Reaction score
I got the OBDII reader, bypass, and AlfaOBD for PC (everything else I have is iOS) and am trying to enable the ITBC I installed but I cannot find a place in Alfa to actually CHANGE any settings. The only place I can see them is by pressing "Read System Status" in the Status/Faults tab. The PC version does not have the "car with the hood up" icon everybody is describing. How do I get there?

did you try connecting then going to advanced mode?

Apexbasher

Reaction score
did you try connecting then going to advanced mode?
Yes. Advanced Mode got me nowhere. However I just received a reply back from Alexey at AlfaOBD (much faster than I anticipated) and he pointed me in the right direction. It was on the Active Diagnostic tab, then the "procedure description" pull down menu item "Car configuration change" all the way at the bottom. Then it's just a matter of searching the dropdowns for what you want to change and following the onscreen prompts.
I'm gonna do some screen shots and a write up to help those who may struggle with this as I did. Stay tuned...

Last edited:

Apexbasher

Reaction score
I did a complete write up of the PC version of AlfaOBD for updating after the Integrated Trailer Brake Module installation over in brotharon's outstanding thread on doing the install (see post #91)-

Omlifecrew

Reaction score
I turned on my CHMSL option today. YAY! next up is the bed lighting kit.

After bed lighting I get into the heavy dig of installing a 360 cam dvr/dashcam and driving the output of that to the CHMSL input so I don't have to have a second screen.

My ultimate plan is to take the DVR output, drive that into a Rasbperry Pi. The raspberry pi will output to the console screen. This way I can have an in-car telemetry logger and 360cam on a single input, no observable wires, all connecting through the onboard hotspot to relay information back to off truck storage without needing to poke at anything.

I was also considering adding in my own 3rd party mirror fold with arduino, but after seeing how badly the tow mirrors vibrate when they aren't locked full in position I don't think thats practical. I think that the servo I would need to overcome the locking force on the mirrors would be too large to fit inside the body easily.
Curious about your DVR ideas. Do you have a car DVR (digital video recorder) system to protect your car? Or are you referring to something else when you say DVR?

derp

Reaction score

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score

derp

Reaction score
Let me know how this goes. Interested and had been looking at the same one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
not well so far. I haven't been able to get a straight answer on what the cabling is for the CHMSL input on the head unit. without that I am going to be hard pressed to get the secondary input working.

Backinblk

Reaction score
Success! I was able to connect to the Body Computer, and enable my integrate trailer brake controller. All total is was 5 settings that had to change (enable brake controller module, then enable the 4 CSM menu items to see the trailer settings menus). Odd, it takes a few minutes before the Trailer Settings menu showed up, at first I didn't think it worked. All totaled, it was $220 to get the factory trailer brake controller installed and I still have the AlphOBD software, and SGW bypass hardware for future upgrades.
Did you do the install? And what’s this SGW ya speak of. Do you know if it supports raising or lowering the tire pressure threahold

saturn298

Reaction score
Did you do the install? And what’s this SGW ya speak of. Do you know if it supports raising or lowering the tire pressure threahold
SGW allows you to get into the vehicles settings. You can also raise and lower the tire pressure threshold

derp

Reaction score
the "Secure Gate Way" Bypass module allows you to use a conventional obd2 transciver to push codes over the network to the body controller. without the bypass, FCA ****ery locks out the end user from being able to fully access the hardware they own.

The SGW installed by FCA actually restricts write access to the bus unless it is unlocked on a per session transaction with FCA computers in corporate. Ways to bypass the SGW are to literally disconnect it and replace with a bypass plug, or to connect directly to the CAN bus before the SGW gets in the way. Before taking it back to the dealer for handling their warranty defects, reinstall their SGW in-line to make them think that their equivalent to a TSA luggage lock is doing its job and they have in fact screwed you out of third party service and repair.

derp

Reaction score
not well so far. I haven't been able to get a straight answer on what the cabling is for the CHMSL input on the head unit. without that I am going to be hard pressed to get the secondary input working.
there is LIFE! I got the polarity wrong last night so the display is analog cable pay-per view wacky. A swap of the pins should fix that.

on the upside, I was staring at it for like 10 minutes and am pretty sure I saw a boob.

Attachments

• 20200225_072420.jpg
    20200225_072420.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 458
  • tenor (1).gif
    tenor (1).gif
    2.3 MB · Views: 446

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score
there is LIFE! I got the polarity wrong last night so the display is analog cable pay-per view wacky. A swap of the pins should fix that.

on the upside, I was staring at it for like 10 minutes and am pretty sure I saw a boob.

Sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derp

Reaction score

Tonight i got a very ugly but understandable display. Polarity wss backwards.

Now i have to get some electrical noise out of the input and try to get the best possible resolution. Right now it is bad. It could be the 25 year old full size dvd player i am using as a source.

Lets not blame the dvd player. He's a survivor.

Backinblk

Reaction score
Hate to be a pain this is foreign to me. Where did you get your obdII reader and the gateway? I wanna do this right and buy quality stuff. Brand suggestions?

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Hate to be a pain this is foreign to me. Where did you get your obdII reader and the gateway? I wanna do this right and buy quality stuff. Brand suggestions?
Bluetooth OBDII reader:
Gateway:

Apexbasher

Reaction score
Bluetooth OBDII reader:
Gateway:

Or, if you have iOS (as I do), go for this OBDII reader by the same company:

Regardless, the link to Infotainment.com that RebelWraith posted for the security gateway module bypass is the same as I used.

Omlifecrew

Reaction score
Tonight i got a very ugly but understandable display. Polarity wss backwards.

Now i have to get some electrical noise out of the input and try to get the best possible resolution. Right now it is bad. It could be the 25 year old full size dvd player i am using as a source.

Lets not blame the dvd player. He's a survivor.
Nice work. Can't wait to see what happens next.

derp

Reaction score
Nice work. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Today, pi video tuned to match display. Before aspect ratio wad jacked. Now i have a better screen with no over or underscan.

I have a ferrite bead electrical noise filter that helped.

I have a much better cable with less dot crawl.

Pi is now running strictly off 30 ah battery, so no more inverter noise.

Hdmi to composite adapter working for dvr output to pi tv hat for managing dvr interface passthrough and menus.

Pi connected to in car cell hotspot.

Pi connection to uconnect bluetooth for audio pending.

Pi paired to obd adapter, no integration done yet.

Phone paired to pi for screen mirroring ( in progress ).

derp

Reaction score
Today, pi video tuned to match display. Before aspect ratio wad jacked. Now i have a better screen with no over or underscan.

I have a ferrite bead electrical noise filter that helped.

I have a much better cable with less dot crawl.

Pi is now running strictly off 30 ah battery, so no more inverter noise.

Hdmi to composite adapter working for dvr output to pi tv hat for managing dvr interface passthrough and menus.

Pi connected to in car cell hotspot.

Pi connection to uconnect bluetooth for audio pending.

Pi paired to obd adapter, no integration done yet.

Phone paired to pi for screen mirroring ( in progress ).
Also. All future display boobs will be intentional.

Users who are viewing this thread