5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airlift 1000HD install

Creep0321

Reaction score
Bottom line, use the T fitting or do individual a schrader (edit) valves for left and right?

Last edited:

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spell checker gone awry? I think you mean schrader valves. Anyway, it's a personal choice depending on how you want to use. If you want the option of compensating for an unbalanced load, you can install individual valves and/or dual compressors. A lot of users, who just want to pump up the rear suspension a bit for towing, go with the tee and/or a single compressor.

Croaker

Reaction score
With a tee, wont air go from one bag to the other when you go around a corner?

Creep0321

Reaction score
Spell checker gone awry? I think you mean schrader valves. Anyway, it's a personal choice depending on how you want to use. If you want the option of compensating for an unbalanced load, you can install individual valves and/or dual compressors. A lot of users, who just want to pump up the rear suspension a bit for towing, go with the tee and/or a single compressor.
Yea I was tired. Fixed the original post.

Creep0321

Reaction score
This was one of my concerns, the other being with individual schrader valves, if one develops a leak or pops while towing could that create an unsafe situation?

Creep0321

Reaction score
Also when connecting the WDH, what should the bags be at (PSI)? Inflate prior to or after connecting trailer?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, some. Small air lines limit how fast that can happen. For bumper hitch towing, most of that load is near axle level, so not much effect. Cargo in the bed is higher up and will cause more tilt. Heavy duty sway bar like Helwig can help with that. Or go with independent bags if that sounds like your application. Go slow around corners anyway if towing or hauling.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With individual schrader valves, if one develops a leak or pops while towing could that create an unsafe situation?
Yes, that could happen.
Also when connecting the WDH, what should the bags be at (PSI)? Inflate prior to or after connecting trailer?
Some people are of the opinion that you don't need WDH if you have bags or helper springs. I don't agree with that in most cases. There's a science to it, discussed at length in other threads. Bag maker may have charts or graphs to help you with actual numbers, based on trailer/tongue weight, and you should have access to a scale that can weigh truck and trailer per axle. I think most of the inside-the-spring bags recommend inflate first, theory being that it is less likely to tear the bag than inflate after.

Creep0321

Reaction score
Install complete. Took just over an hour. Went with a single path install using the T fitting, schrader valve mounted next to license plate. Currently sitting at 30 psi for 24 hour leak check.

Creep0321

Reaction score
Yes, that could happen.

Some people are of the opinion that you don't need WDH if you have bags or helper springs. I don't agree with that in most cases. There's a science to it, discussed at length in other threads. Bag maker may have charts or graphs to help you with actual numbers, based on trailer/tongue weight, and you should have access to a scale that can weigh truck and trailer per axle. I think most of the inside-the-spring bags recommend inflate first, theory being that it is less likely to tear the bag than inflate after.
I fully intend on using the equalizer 4 pt WDH in addition to the airlift1000HD. Was also considering the hellwig sway bar as well. And I’m staying on the smaller side with the trailer being a Imagine 2400BH.

Creep0321

Reaction score
Few photos.

Attachments

• B0F792C0-808B-4143-90B0-40BB1155CE73.jpeg
    B0F792C0-808B-4143-90B0-40BB1155CE73.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 41
  • DCDF8057-215B-4632-96C0-DFFE35A67CD0.jpeg
    DCDF8057-215B-4632-96C0-DFFE35A67CD0.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 69F5BC51-2A41-47F0-933D-1F30340D978B.jpeg
    69F5BC51-2A41-47F0-933D-1F30340D978B.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 41

Creep0321

Reaction score
My neighbor ran a two schrader system on his and we drilled out the license plate screw s and mounted them there. I just want to make the nut and washer black so it blends in more and I’ll be happy.

Creep0321

Reaction score
Also for those that had the same question as me. I just spoke to a tech with airlift. His recommendation was to measure the height to the rear wheel fender with 5psi in the bags. Then increase air to 35 psi. Then hook up the WDH, then adjust the air as required to get close to that original measurement.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't notice much actual lift with these bags, but definitely rides different and doesn't sag as bad.

I leave mine at 45psi all the time. Coupled with a Hellwig bar on the middle hole it handles great loaded or not.

I chose individual valves through license plate. Having them tied together can cause some odd things to happen offroad. Maybe not so much with in spring bags as standard frame mount bags, but oh well. If I were airing up/down often I would tie them together with a ball valve, so I could air them up together, but then block flow between.

Users who are viewing this thread