5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AirBags - Timber Grove vs AirLift 5000 Ultimate Plus+

rubrduk

Reaction score
AirLift LoadLifter 5000 ULTIMATE PLUS
eTrailer - $433 free shipping

Timber Grove ASAM
Timber Grove $423 shipped

AirLift has a great, long term reputation...this specific AirLift kit is stainless brackets and hardware, along with stainless braided AN lines, and the AirLift airbag has an internal jounce/bumpstop

Timber Grove has a cult following it appears (I've not heard of them before), they have stainless brackets and hardware and otherwise use standard Firestone airbags, but have standard barb-style plastic airlines

I'm leaning towards the AirLift, but want some opinions

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Both of these kits replace the rear coil springs correct? I looked at the Timber grove a while back, but like the stainless lines of the AirLift

rubrduk

Reaction score
Both of these kits replace the rear coil springs correct? I looked at the Timber grove a while back, but like the stainless lines of the AirLift

these are the assist type airbags, not a replacement for the coil springs...these are both bolt-on for load leveling purposes

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lots of cutting with that AirLift kit. Timber Grove requires no cutting, and if I don't like them I can put it back to stock without any issue. Barb fittings are not an issue as long as you install correctly and make sure you don't have any kinks. I've got almost 10k miles on my Timber Groves with no issues. Had about 30k on an airlift kit on my Titan before I sold it.

Ram/Tun

Reaction score
I have timber grove and they are excellent

Attachments

• 20200820_164609.jpg
    20200820_164609.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 221
  • 20200820_164605.jpg
    20200820_164605.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 20200820_164625.jpg
    20200820_164625.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 219

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have timber grove and they are excellent

Do these add any height in the rear with no load and minimal pressure? My 2” leveling kit makes the front look slightly high now, and I had planned on adding these eventually anyway. Wondering if they will bring it up just a tad or if I should drop in the off-road springs as well.

Curlymurt

Reaction score
Do these add any height in the rear with no load and minimal pressure? My 2” leveling kit makes the front look slightly high now, and I had planned on adding these eventually anyway. Wondering if they will bring it up just a tad or if I should drop in the off-road springs as well.
Technically no, but you need to keep about 7psi in them. I found 3/4-1" extra height at that psi. If they aren't aired to that pressure, you can hit some hard dips in the road and hear/feel a solid clang when metal hits metal.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Technically no, but you need to keep about 7psi in them. I found 3/4-1" extra height at that psi. If they aren't aired to that pressure, you can hit some hard dips in the road and hear/feel a solid clang when metal hits metal.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like they will help when I load the bed down with the bonus of adding just a little bit of height. If I can get a 1/2” out of them without having to add to much air when unloaded I’d be happy.

rubrduk

Reaction score

what leveling kit did you use?

I'm looking at 5100's for a 2" level,...but i just bought the Timber Grove bags for the rear and was wondering if there is a rear height increase at 5psi (i've have not installed them yet)

Ram/Tun

Reaction score
Agree with these as I have it installed it in stock all but plan is to do 2.6" bilstein 5100 front and rear icon spring coil 1.5" so would need to upgrade bags from current 8.5" to 10.5" for little rake at rear. I prefer little rake over full level. If is full level anything you add on the bed would go down and not safe.

Also, You don't need to add spacers to the rear if you don't want to. You can run the truck perfectly level and use the air springs to keep it there when towing or carrying a load and be just as safe as having 1.5" of rake. The main safety issue is headlight adjustment and realignment of the front end. If your truck has safety features such as lane deviation, adaptable cruise and automatic braking, those will need readjustment as well. Going to the dealer to have those items reset is a common thing these days for altered trucks.

If you decide on spacers and longer shocks in the rear, you'll need to upgrade air springs to 10.5" tall from the 8.5" you have now if you got them. That cost is approximately $180.00 shipped.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
what leveling kit did you use?

I'm looking at 5100's for a 2" level,...but i just bought the Timber Grove bags for the rear and was wondering if there is a rear height increase at 5psi (i've have not installed them yet)

I just went with the motofab 2” spacers for now. Truck only has 500 miles on it and I wanted to get an idea how it would look with a couple inches up front and different tires before I spent too much on a full lift kit. Plus I don’t want to do anything that will keep me from being able to get it in the garage.

rubrduk

Reaction score
I just went with the motofab 2” spacers for now. Truck only has 500 miles on it and I wanted to get an idea how it would look with a couple inches up front and different tires before I spent too much on a full lift kit. Plus I don’t want to do anything that will keep me from being able to get it in the garage.
i'm keeping my lift minimal for similar reasons....living in a city, i encounter parking structures frequently, so I'm sticking to a level lift but i want to clear 35" tires

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i'm keeping my lift minimal for similar reasons....living in a city, i encounter parking structures frequently, so I'm sticking to a level lift but i want to clear 35" tires

I think I’m going with the Toyo AT3 in a 285/55R22. I don’t want to go any wider and run into issues. I should have no problems with a 34” tire at pretty much factory width, and it’ll give me a little more tire around the rim like I want.

Booch

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, just got back in a 2021 Rebel. Had a 2016 Rebel, then went to a 2500 for towing and of course couldn't resist changing the suspension. Related to this thread, on my 2500 I had softer Thuren springs and King shocks. I supplemented with the Airlift 5000 with the jounce. It worked great when loaded/aired up, but unloaded/aired down it would hit the jounce more often than I'd prefer. When i took it all off it was obvious why; the Airlift jounce is taller than the bump stops the bags replace, and it also sits on a bracket. So it essentially reduces the amount of travel you have before hitting the jounce.

On a previous 1500 (before the 2016 Rebel) I used the Airlift 1000 bags (inside the springs) and they worked great.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've posted this in other threads, so I'll try to keep it short...
I had horrible experience with Airlift customer service, won't ever be buying their products again. Had a set of Airlift 1000s. One bag sprung a leak after its first winter.
Provided them with a warranty claim form. They asked me repeatedly (3+ times) for various bits of information that were on the form I gave them, with 1-3 days in-between each response. After the last time, I asked them politely if they could just refer to the form I submitted, as it already had that information.
They never responded, and stopped responding to further contact attempts.

They wanted me to go away, evidently, so I did... and bought the Timber Groves. Those lasted multiple harsh winters, hot summers, no issues, and they could be aired up before or after the load. When I traded in the 2014 Ram, I took them off and resold them. They even sell new hardware kits (brackets, nuts, bolts, etc.), so I was able to give the guy I sold it to all new hardware.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had horrible experience with Airlift customer service, won't ever be buying their products again. Had a set of Airlift 1000s. One bag sprung a leak after its first winter.
Provided them with a warranty claim form. They asked me repeatedly (3+ times) for various bits of information that were on the form I gave them, with 1-3 days in-between each response. After the last time, I asked them politely if they could just refer to the form I submitted, as it already had that information.

They wanted me to go away, evidently, so I did... and bought the Timber Groves. Those lasted multiple harsh winters, hot summers, no issues, and they could be aired up before or after the load. When I traded in the 2014 Ram, I took them off and resold them. They even sell new hardware kits (brackets, nuts, bolts, etc.), so I was able to give the guy I sold it to all new hardware.
I've heard great things about the Timber Grove quality and customer service. I think I'm set on them now. I'll likely hold off until spring to order them since I won't be hauling much until it comes time for yardwork to resume and I need move dirt and finish getting supplies for a patio.

Ram/Tun

Reaction score

I would agree with you on timber grove. Nice set of bags. Excellent support from Steve at Timber Grove.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A little late, but the Timber Grove bags lifted the rear about 1/2" with ~5 psi in them, which is minimum to run without any load. On my Rebel with a 2" front lift, I'm at 39.5" front and ~40.75" rear fender heights from the ground.

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score
Quick question with these timber grove setups. Does anyone have experience with their onboard compressor setups that drop in the floor cubby hole? I'm wanting to order rear bags and compressor to go with my ready lift level kit.

Users who are viewing this thread