5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
hey !st thanks for the info. if your able to have a fix that works for your Ram Entry/Exit please let us know. Many on here would like to have that fix for sure.

Reaction score
Well I have a 2016 RAM Limited and I just ripped out the 4 corner air suspension. It's off warranty so nothing is covered now. I have gone through 3 compressors in 2 years at $2400 each. This last one they wanted to swap wasn't on warranty so I said no I'm done with this convert back to shocks and springs. I live in Canada and yes it's cold but since when were trucks only build for fair weather driving? Not happy with FCA on this one but the $3000 bill to go with standard suspension instead of a $2400 compressor every year made sense to me. I love the truck but that suspension is garbage and should never be sold to anyone in a colder climate. Will buy a new one next year or maybe the year after but the air suspension will never be in another truck I buy.

Reaction score
I've read about the cold weather concerns, but despite living in a cold weather state (Michigan), I would risk it. If it has issues in the cold, I don't see that as a deal breaker. I would like to know that the problem has a solution and that solution has been implemented though. Most of the issues I've read about it ended up being related to dirt, mud, debris, etc. on sensors. A simple washing would have resolved those.
100% not true, my truck has never left a paved road and is kept in pristine condition all year round and washed underneath on my car lift in the garage regularly, and been through 3 compressors now it 2 years, the last one was the "upgraded" one I paid the extra $400 for that warranty wouldn't cover as well. Oh and the upgraded one is basically some grease and heavier O rings that's about it. So yes they have a problem and trust me riding on the bump stops for 4 or 5 months a year is not only not fun but really dangerous as well. The problem is that the system does test the lines and bleed a bit during that test, and that releases a bit of the dried Nitrogen and then takes a bit of air back which in cold weather freezes. They say it is a sealed system but it's not, it bleeds like all air systems so it has to take a small bit of air back into it which then freezes. I loved the air ride but in Cold weather it is just not reliable at all.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
100% not true, my truck has never left a paved road and is kept in pristine condition all year round and washed underneath on my car lift in the garage regularly, and been through 3 compressors now it 2 years, the last one was the "upgraded" one I paid the extra $400 for that warranty wouldn't cover as well. Oh and the upgraded one is basically some grease and heavier O rings that's about it. So yes they have a problem and trust me riding on the bump stops for 4 or 5 months a year is not only not fun but really dangerous as well. The problem is that the system does test the lines and bleed a bit during that test, and that releases a bit of the dried Nitrogen and then takes a bit of air back which in cold weather freezes. They say it is a sealed system but it's not, it bleeds like all air systems so it has to take a small bit of air back into it which then freezes. I loved the air ride but in Cold weather it is just not reliable at all.

I live in Alaska and there are quite a few others that live in cold climates too. Granted it's still early on, but I haven't seen a '19 model with air ride fail in the cold yet. The system was supposedly upgraded for the new model, so time will tell if we get the same failures as the older trucks have.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 2014 I had was bought new with AS and in Ohio it went threw some cold winters with no issues what so ever.....Jeeps have had the AS for quite some time in cold climates with very little issues. IMO only ,I think some AS trucks are bad units out there with AS issues with FCA not sure how to correct the few that had/has issues. FCA issues with the AS and replacing modules is not working at all...obvious since some have replaced totally multiple times to no avail. IMO they may have isolated software issues and not hardware issues. Sorry some have had the AS issues including myself but the AS is awesome and works for 99% of the owners it seems. I realize that is not an answer many wants to hear but just saying what my opinion is no harm intended.

revolutionz

Reaction score
Just went through the 2nd coldest winter on record and the air suspension never missed a beat. Sorry but looks like they made upgrades that work now. Maybe you shoulda just upgraded to a new model.

I'm up in ND, brutal cold here this winter, AS was solid even sitting out on a frozen lake with temps hitting -33, although you could tell the compressor wasn't happy about running haha. Seems promising.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had it in my 2014 Outdoorsman....4 years good with no problems then in the 5th year they had to replace the lines. I got rid of it before it got cold this year and got my Rebel without AS this time. I think my Rebel rides smoother or least it feels it does.
Some have had problems whereas others haven't and yes I did hear they upgraded the pump for 2019.

JoeRam

Reaction score
Well as Ramit392 pointed out, 99% of these trucks with the A.S. work perfect. They did when first rolled out years ago, have cold temp issues and I believe they worked that out. Now they have some possible software issues and as stated FCA not only doesn't have a fix, they seem to be lacking in dealer support to troubleshoot and find the root of the problem. My truck is one of the 1% sadly, that is having major issues. Truck rides down the road in E/E mode doing 50 mph and never attempting to raise. local dealership has had it for 2 weeks and now is just swapping parts out to see what corrects it. I am not very hopeful at this point

Sparcky

Reaction score
Currently have a 2017 Limited. Up until this winter A.S. worked perfect. In Feb when we were having a real cold spell, while pulling a sled trailer, the message came up to service air suspension immediately. Took it in, and as I have read on a few other threads, it was a 40A fuse. They replaced it, tested, and all worked. Said that if it does happen again, I could be in for a $2500 bill to replace the compressor. Unfortunately truck is out of warranty. I do love the A.S. though, it rides like a cadillac.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just went through the 2nd coldest winter on record and the air suspension never missed a beat. Sorry but looks like they made upgrades that work now. Maybe you shoulda just upgraded to a new model.
I reply to this with the utmost respect and sincerity... I hope you're right. I wish all 5th Gen owners with air ride in northern climates never know the helpless feeling that a failed air ride system gives you at 5am when it's -30 and you just want to get to work without fuss.

Anyway, I digress, we've all gone in circles about how air ride doesn't fail the first or second winter, it's the third or fourth near end of warranty where it lets you down.

My fingers are crossed for my northern brothers and sisters for the next few winters.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I reply to this with the utmost respect and sincerity... I hope you're right. I wish all 5th Gen owners with air ride in northern climates never know the helpless feeling that a failed air ride system gives you at 5am when it's -30 and you just want to get to work without fuss.

Anyway, I digress, we've all gone in circles about how air ride doesn't fail the first or second winter, it's the third or fourth near end of warranty where it lets you down.

My fingers are crossed for my northern brothers and sisters for the next few winters.
I live in Texas and have the Lifetime MaxCare plan. So...no worries? (Hoping for the best!)

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in Texas and have the Lifetime MaxCare plan. So...no worries? (Hoping for the best!)
One would hope! With or without air ride a MaxCare plan is probably a good idea with some of the expensive items in these trucks.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well as Ramit392 pointed out, 99% of these trucks with the A.S. work perfect. They did when first rolled out years ago, have cold temp issues and I believe they worked that out. Now they have some possible software issues and as stated FCA not only doesn't have a fix, they seem to be lacking in dealer support to troubleshoot and find the root of the problem. My truck is one of the 1% sadly, that is having major issues. Truck rides down the road in E/E mode doing 50 mph and never attempting to raise. local dealership has had it for 2 weeks and now is just swapping parts out to see what corrects it. I am not very hopeful at this point

I have my fingers crossed for you Joe,But its not looking so well.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't base past experience with a different system on the 2019 design. Time will tell, not what happened to your older suspension that doesn't directly translate.

Jackham

Reaction score
That is the problem with forums. Pumping out 1300 trucks a day and maybe 12 owners have issues but on these forums it comes off like thousands. Also unfortunately some guys play the system and change user names and go all over complaining about the same thing. My plan on a -35 degree day in Montana predated by a 50 degree day and rain is to try not to use the system at all. We will see.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is the problem with forums. Pumping out 1300 trucks a day and maybe 12 owners have issues but on these forums it comes off like thousands.

25 trucks lined up in a dealers lot on a frigid December morning, all 2 to 3 years old, all air ride, all the same symptoms... this isn't fear mongering, it's reality that many have been through and are just trying to raise awareness.

I was like you after I bought my '16 Rebel, "Not my Rebel, it's got updated parts! The salesman told me so! He wouldn't lie to me to sell a truck!"

2 years and 5 months later, on the bumpstops in the dealers lot with 24 other, less than enthused owners exchanging stories and solutions.

Good luck.

Jackham

Reaction score
25 trucks lined up in a dealers lot on a frigid December morning, all 2 to 3 years old, all air ride, all the same symptoms... this isn't fear mongering, it's reality that many have been through and are just trying to raise awareness.

I was like you after I bought my '16 Rebel, "Not my Rebel, it's got updated parts! The salesman told me so! He wouldn't lie to me to sell a truck!"

2 years and 5 months later, on the bumpstops in the dealers lot with 24 other, less than enthused owners exchanging stories and solutions.

Good luck.
Well trust me I drive in the most extreme situations short of the Arctic Circle so i will let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread