5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

air suspension truck leaning on one side

MisterBones

Reaction score
Hi, noticed when washing my truck that it is leaning on one side. Air ride set to normal, on even pavement. Has anyone heard of this sort of problem ?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How much is it learning? I think they can program adjust that.

Just a note, on spring vehicles, the driver's side typically leans more due to the weight difference on the vehicle. My truck is about 1/2 an inch lower on the driver's side.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
try lowering it all the way down, then all the way up...then back to "Normal", and see if it settles level. If not, call dealer service and see if it's an issue.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Have you measured, to see if it's an "optical illusion"?

Measure from the center of the wheel wells to the ground on each wheel (so the tape goes past the center hub on each wheel). I recall, when I was setting up my weight distribution hitch - that both SIDES were pretty close (within a 1/2 inch) - obviously the front/rear are going to be different.

Reminds me of the time I used a digital laser level to hang pictures in my old house. I ran a row of nails for the top row of what was to be a "gallery" of concert photos I shot, right on the laser line. Stepped back and the row of nails was running downhill. Silly rabbit - the CEILING wasn't "square". Never noticed it - before I ran a row of nails across the wall. Ended up having to measure down from the ceiling and use a snap line to setup the line of picture frames.

What we SEE - and what we THINK WE SEE - can be two different things.

Rick

RamCares

Reaction score
Hi, noticed when washing my truck that it is leaning on one side. Air ride set to normal, on even pavement. Has anyone heard of this sort of problem ?

Hi @MisterBones - If you do need to address this with your dealer, our team is always a private message away and more than willing to provide support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

Scram1500

Reaction score
If it's leaning on the drivers side it could be the weight of the fuel in the tank. Check the lean next time it's empty

Camelot

Reaction score
I have the same issue on my 2021 Limited. 1" lean to the left in the rear.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine is about 3/4 of an inch low on the driver side. The wife's Limited sits almost exactly even from side to side. I'm considering picking up a set of adjustable suspension links so I can make my own adjustments. I might just start with the rears since that's where it seems to be the most "off".

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is about 3/4 of an inch low on the driver side. The wife's Limited sits almost exactly even from side to side. I'm considering picking up a set of adjustable suspension links so I can make my own adjustments. I might just start with the rears since that's where it seems to be the most "off".

Fixes the problem in about 30 minutes if you have a coil compressor.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Fixes the problem in about 30 minutes if you have a coil compressor.
Appreciate the link. (y)

Unfortunately those won't do any good for trucks with air suspension. They also appear to be for 4th gens.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Appreciate the link. (y)

Unfortunately those won't do any good for trucks with air suspension. They also appear to be for 4th gens.
Yeah I didn't see air suspension in your sig, so figured I'd link it. The 4th gen spacers work for both front and rear coils for our trucks. I have 1 of those spacers on the rear driver spring in my truck, and my 2" spacers in front are 4th gen as well.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 'airlinks' on all four corners. About $100 for all four. I have mine sitting pretty level, but can tell you that trucks with air suspension never sit the same from day to day.
There is about a 1" height tolerance (front and rear) that the truck stays between. But some days you'll be low and some days high. All while in 'normal' mode.
The airlinks will definitely let you fix the 'side lean' though. Just be sure to measure the truck height sitting in the same spot every day for a week. Only then will you know the average stance of the truck.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have 'airlinks' on all four corners. About $100 for all four. I have mine sitting pretty level, but can tell you that trucks with air suspension never sit the same from day to day.
There is about a 1" height tolerance (front and rear) that the truck stays between. But some days you'll be low and some days high. All while in 'normal' mode.
The airlinks will definitely let you fix the 'side lean' though. Just be sure to measure the truck height sitting in the same spot every day for a week. Only then will you know the average stance of the truck.
That's good to know. I've measured mine three different times since I bought it in early May. All three times the driver side was about 3/4 of an inch lower in the rear. Which links did you buy? $100 is less than others I've been seeing.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's good to know. I've measured mine three different times since I bought it in early May. All three times the driver side was about 3/4 of an inch lower in the rear. Which links did you buy? $100 is less than others I've been seeing.
I think the guy's name is Shane. Email him and tell him what you're trying to do. He'll send them to you close to how want and you can tweak them after you try his settings first. He's a friendly dude.

RBRK

Reaction score
I put those airlinks on mine. Just the front to level it out. They aren’t as fancy as some billet with rubber boots etc, but I just wanted something to raise the front a little (not full level) too harsh, and Also level the left front being low. You could make your own, for probably half or less, but I didn’t want to try to find the Ball ends. I tweaked mine a few times and have it set pretty good now.

cemem

Reaction score
Have you measured, to see if it's an "optical illusion"?

Measure from the center of the wheel wells to the ground on each wheel (so the tape goes past the center hub on each wheel). I recall, when I was setting up my weight distribution hitch - that both SIDES were pretty close (within a 1/2 inch) - obviously the front/rear are going to be different.

Reminds me of the time I used a digital laser level to hang pictures in my old house. I ran a row of nails for the top row of what was to be a "gallery" of concert photos I shot, right on the laser line. Stepped back and the row of nails was running downhill. Silly rabbit - the CEILING wasn't "square". Never noticed it - before I ran a row of nails across the wall. Ended up having to measure down from the ceiling and use a snap line to setup the line of picture frames.

What we SEE - and what we THINK WE SEE - can be two different things.

Rick
2002 F350 7.3L Crew short bed dually 4x4

I noticed recently that my truck was leaning toward the driver's side.

With about 1/4 tank of fuel:

I lifted the back and let it hang free,
Front frame to axle and it was within 1/4"
Back frame to axle (hanging free) was off by about 3/4" (lower on drivers)

I lifted the front and let it hang free,
Front frame to axle (hanging free) was within 1/4"
Back frame to axle (now loaded) and it was 1 5/8" lower on drivers side than the passenger side. Add some weight in the bed and it's a good 2" off.

I cannot see a broken spring, I can see the shackle toward the rear of the truck is turned more on one side than the other. On the passenger side the long rear shackle is more or less straight down. On the driver's side that rear shackle is turned out more to the rear of the truck.

Ideas? It's never been overloaded or wrecked. We did run over a semi-large animal with it while towing but I can't imagine a coyote would do that kind of damage. I can't say for sure when it started leaning, just drove home one day in the car and looked at the rear of the truck and said "is the truck leaning?"

Ideas? What should I check or should I just replace the rear suspension (what's available?) or is there another fix?

Maybe a spring is broken and I can't see it?

Users who are viewing this thread