5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension Temporarily Disabled

Tom488

Reaction score
Just wanted to post this here, in case anyone else goes looking for the source of this message on the EVIC when trying to adjust their air suspension.

I installed some mudflaps, and to make life easier, I put the truck up on the lift (frame lift, so the suspension hung freely). Afterwards, I had the above msg., and couldn't bring the truck down from it's Off-Road setting (where I had put it, to make positioning the lift arms easier).

Apparently, lifting the truck (maybe lifting even one wheel) automatically puts the truck into "tire jack" mode, which effectively disables the air suspension. You have to go into the uConnect Settings menu, into Suspension, select 'Tire Jack Mode', and turn it back off - your suspension will resume functioning. According to the manual, tire jack mode will also be turned off by driving the vehicle - but the manual never said anything about automatically entering this mode when the truck is hoisted, nor could I find any explanation for the "temp. disabled" msg... so it took me a minute to realize it was in tire jack mode.

Hopefully, this helps someone... I really thought I FUBAR'd my air suspension for a few minutes there :)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just wanted to post this here, in case anyone else goes looking for the source of this message on the EVIC when trying to adjust their air suspension.

I installed some mudflaps, and to make life easier, I put the truck up on the lift (frame lift, so the suspension hung freely). Afterwards, I had the above msg., and couldn't bring the truck down from it's Off-Road setting (where I had put it, to make positioning the lift arms easier).

Apparently, lifting the truck (maybe lifting even one wheel) automatically puts the truck into "tire jack" mode, which effectively disables the air suspension. You have to go into the uConnect Settings menu, into Suspension, select 'Tire Jack Mode', and turn it back off - your suspension will resume functioning. According to the manual, tire jack mode will also be turned off by driving the vehicle - but the manual never said anything about automatically entering this mode when the truck is hoisted, nor could I find any explanation for the "temp. disabled" msg... so it took me a minute to realize it was in tire jack mode.

Hopefully, this helps someone... I really thought I FUBAR'd my air suspension for a few minutes there :)
That could have turned out...poorly.

Glad it was able to reset without damage!

MCPT1

Reaction score

Thanks for the tip, was getting the same message after my wife disconnected her horse trailer, apparently in jacking up the trailer the ball was binding and must have lifted the rear of the truck triggering the tire jack mode, avoided a trip to the dealer , thanks again

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am wondering about if the air suspension will keep the truck in off road 2 while I am changing oil and adding skid plates? Does anyone know if using tire jack mode after raising the truck to off road 2 stops any air suspension changes even if someone presses the entry exit remote button? I can test it but thought someone on here may know the difinitive answer. I am being a little paranoid but wouldn't want the truck lowering on me while I am under it working.

Tom488

Reaction score
Yes, Tire Jack mode will disable the remote, as well as the dash controls, until you either turn off Tire Jack mode, or you drive the truck.

MCPT1

Reaction score
Yes, Tire Jack mode will disable the remote, as well as the dash controls, until you either turn off Tire Jack mode, or you drive the truck.
That's not my experience, driving did not cancel the tire jack mode, I had to cancel it thru the control panel

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I am wondering about if the air suspension will keep the truck in off road 2 while I am changing oil and adding skid plates? Does anyone know if using tire jack mode after raising the truck to off road 2 stops any air suspension changes even if someone presses the entry exit remote button? I can test it but thought someone on here may know the difinitive answer. I am being a little paranoid but wouldn't want the truck lowering on me while I am under it working.
I put it in OR2 every time I clean the wheel wells, and then on entry/exit to clean the hood, etc. It always stay in whatever i put it in until I change it.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score

So, I did that very thing when popping my truck up on ramps to install step bars - OR Mode (Rebel only has one), and then Tire Jack Mode. I left the doors unlocked but also opened the driver's door multiple times and no actuation of the air at all during that time

(*disclaimer* I can't liable for any advice ever, just ask my lawyer.)

Tom488

Reaction score
That's not my experience, driving did not cancel the tire jack mode, I had to cancel it thru the control panel
I'll admit I haven't tried driving it to cancel - that's just what is stated in the manual:

"Tire/Jack Mode – Indicator lamps 5 and 1 will be illuminated. Tire/Jack Mode is disabled by driving the vehicle."

I'll try it on mine tomorrow, by manually entering Tire/Jack Mode, and seeing what happens after the vehicle is in motion. I'll also try it next time I have the truck on the lift (first oil change is coming up soon) - perhaps it only auto-disables if it was auto-enabled (by raising the vehicle). We'll see.

Max Limited

Reaction score
The first time I jacked mine up the air system did its thing and when lowered stayed there.
I thought , Oh Sh......t, I have screwed something up now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Went for a drive and within a couple blocks, everything went back to normal.

Have done the same a few other times and it always returns to normal after driving.

Tom488

Reaction score
I'll admit I haven't tried driving it to cancel - that's just what is stated in the manual:

"Tire/Jack Mode – Indicator lamps 5 and 1 will be illuminated. Tire/Jack Mode is disabled by driving the vehicle."

I'll try it on mine tomorrow, by manually entering Tire/Jack Mode, and seeing what happens after the vehicle is in motion. I'll also try it next time I have the truck on the lift (first oil change is coming up soon) - perhaps it only auto-disables if it was auto-enabled (by raising the vehicle). We'll see.
Worked exactly as advertised... within 50 feet of driving, lights 1&5 went out, and it returned to Off-Road (I have the ORG, so only 1 Off-Road setting for me), and I could lower it to Normal.

airgas1998

Reaction score

you're a lifesaver...had no idea and in off road 2 the truck has clearance issues in my garage/ so i had a truck that was stuck...

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score

This !!!!!! You saved me.... my truck went crazy after putting a particularly heavy load on and it wouldn’t reset, front looked like it was in entry mode and the rear looked like it was in OR2.... talk about some front end rake !!! Until I found this thread and sure enough.... tire jack mode had self enabled. Thank you for posting this.

Users who are viewing this thread