5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension Reviews

Canadian Ram

Reaction score
I recently traded my 2014 1500 Limited for a new model. My '14 was the first year for air suspension and I love how it works, but I have had a couple issues, always in Winter. At year 2 the compressor was replaced under warranty and last year the suspension froze up, but worked fine after a night in a warm garage. Where I live the temperatures regularly swing from mild to freezing so we get a lot of melt and refreeze conditions. I also had an issue with the truck being out of level when parked, which was a leveling sensor issue. I am hoping Ram improved the system and am wondering if anyone has had any issues with 5th Gen models so far?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're going to start seeing issues trickle in this winter... it's the second and third year that start to show the perils of Ram air ride in cold climates. There are those that always roll their eyes and shrug off the truth that there was no massive design change to the system, but there wasn't. They changed the model of compressor to a single but not the location or addressing the freezing issues and venting in cold weather.

I wish everyone the best of luck these next two upcoming winters, it may be a "bumpy" ride.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I recently traded my 2014 1500 Limited for a new model. My '14 was the first year for air suspension and I love how it works, but I have had a couple issues, always in Winter. At year 2 the compressor was replaced under warranty and last year the suspension froze up, but worked fine after a night in a warm garage. Where I live the temperatures regularly swing from mild to freezing so we get a lot of melt and refreeze conditions. I also had an issue with the truck being out of level when parked, which was a leveling sensor issue. I am hoping Ram improved the system and am wondering if anyone has had any issues with 5th Gen models so far?
I don’t recall seeing any issues reported here (40K+ members) of the type experienced in the 4th gen Rams, but as @VaderRebel stated above, time will tell. FWIW, I’ve been very pleased with my air suspension (26 months so far), but I’m in a southern climate; we rarely see extended freezing conditions.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had to put Air Line Antifreeze (Methyl Cloride) into my "On Board Air System"
to keep the Air Selenoid from Freezing up. I have an Oil and Water Filter on the
compressor line already. You can get the Antifreeze from a NAPA auto parts as
it is what the Semi Drivers have to put into their air system.

Malodave

Drewster

Reaction score
I have had to put Air Line Antifreeze (Methyl Cloride) into my "On Board Air System"
to keep the Air Selenoid from Freezing up. I have an Oil and Water Filter on the
compressor line already. You can get the Antifreeze from a NAPA auto parts as
it is what the Semi Drivers have to put into their air system.

Malodave
Sounds like an exciting way to void your air suspension's warranty 😬

Canadian Ram

Reaction score
-37F is the coldest mines been left out in and never had problems
Good to know. It never gets anywhere near that cold here, maybe as cold as -15F in a February cold snap, but what kills us is that we can get days or even weeks of freezing temps and then a day or two of + temps and rain, then back in the freezer. So everything gets wet and then freezes. My suspension included it seems. Thanks.

08ram

Reaction score
Has anyone on here converted their air ride suspension to coil over suspension

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Curious of generic statistics but there is a higher ratio of people willing to publicize their negative experience over those who have had positive....

People who have a problem I believe are 75% more probable to post about it.

People who have had success are 25% more likely to post about it.

So if you see one positive post it offsets three negative (if i assume correctly). Just weigh them each how you will.

I bought my air suspension limited in september 2020 and we see cold down to -10F in central NY. I do not anticipate issues.

bourgeois

Reaction score
I like the air ride system but I find it moves alot on the road while driving. I come from owning a 2009 ram for 11 years and can not get use to the new truck 2019 longhorn. The truck seems bounce around the road.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
No issues with mine in 30 months of ownership. I would def get it again.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like the air ride system but I find it moves alot on the road while driving. I come from owning a 2009 ram for 11 years and can not get use to the new truck 2019 longhorn. The truck seems bounce around the road.
I felt that way at first (coming from a 3/4-ton), but between the ORG and Hellwig, I’m very comfortable with it now.

Although...I would not have said “bounce”. That’s how I’d describe an F-150. I’d say what I initially observed was more of a “float” at high speeds.

bourgeois

Reaction score
I felt that way at first (coming from a 3/4-ton), but between the ORG and Hellwig, I’m very comfortable with it now.

Although...I would not have said “bounce”. That’s how I’d describe an F-150. I’d say what I initially observed was more of a “float” at high speeds.
what is ORG?

jeffauclair

Reaction score
its -30 celcius here tonight(-22F). looking at my ram with air suspension through the window and wondering if i will have a surprise in the morning. don’t want to be negative, but there’s more bad than good with those air ride in a cold weather like I live. Anyone went through cold weather with 2019+ ram air ride without any issue?

Any tips to “help” ? I know going into heated garage in and out is bad as it increases the chance of condensation, but maybe some of you disable the aero mode in cold weather to minimize the chance of compressor working and building heat or so. Can’t stand having in mind my neighbour with his High Country chevy looking at my lowered “not on purpose “ ram in the morning

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
its -30 celcius here tonight(-22F). looking at my ram with air suspension through the window and wondering if i will have a surprise in the morning. don’t want to be negative, but there’s more bad than good with those air ride in a cold weather like I live. Anyone went through cold weather with 2019+ ram air ride without any issue?

Any tips to “help” ? I know going into heated garage in and out is bad as it increases the chance of condensation, but maybe some of you disable the aero mode in cold weather to minimize the chance of compressor working and building heat or so. Can’t stand having in mind my neighbour with his High Country chevy looking at my lowered “not on purpose “ ram in the morning
There’ve been several members that have stated their 5th-gens have held up in similar weather to yours...like @DakotaRam in this thread! I’m down in Texas now, so I can’t claim that experience with this truck.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score

"Theres more bad than good."

How many Rams with this air ride are on the road and in cold climates? No there is not 51% with complaints.

Also, I believe it is an entirely closed system, hot and cold cycles should not impact it as much as it seems people claim. Do you have more wet farts if you go through hot and cold cycles?

I want the title of "most posts with least value" lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread