5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension Reviews

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So just so I understand this more clearly. The idea with the air suspension models is - during an extended cold period- you wanna put a couple small drops of Air Brake Antifreeze into that hose out back by the rear right tail light then eh? The idea is the fumes from the Air Brake antifreeze melt any condensation that would have frozen the lines of the system up? So like is it that if the lines get sections that are frozen, the computer "cannot know" whether the truck is level or not and you get situations where like the one guy said the truck pitches forward all the way to the ground yet the a$$ end is in Off Road 2 mode?
The factory air ride system is a sealed unit . DO NOT try and put ANYTHING in it. It is nitrogen filled.

A4Owner

Reaction score
I came from a 3/4-ton truck, so the "float" was obvious to me when I first drove a Ram equipped with the air suspension. The ORG definitely helps with up/down motion; it feels like a much "heavier" truck with the ORG (in a good way). But the ORG didn't address the feeling of side sway and understeer that I felt with the air suspension. The Hellwig eliminates this and can even make the truck feel like it can oversteer. It's shocking (to me) that a slightly stiffer bar makes such a profound difference, but it does.
So I'm going to test drive a Ram 1500 Longhorn tomorrow with the fixed spring suspension. This is the very first time I'll be driving one of these behemoths. Should I drive the air suspension equipped version FIRST and then this one or the way I am doing it currently. Also just to be clear, even with the non air suspension versions of these, they STILL ride better than F-150s or Sierras because they tossed the Leaf Spring rear set up for shocks...correct statement?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm going to test drive a Ram 1500 Longhorn tomorrow with the fixed spring suspension. This is the very first time I'll be driving one of these behemoths. Should I drive the air suspension equipped version FIRST and then this one or the way I am doing it currently. Also just to be clear, even with the non air suspension versions of these, they STILL ride better than F-150s or Sierras because they tossed the Leaf Spring rear set up for shocks...correct statement?
It doesn’t matter which order, and they both ride a lot better than an F-150. I actually really like the ride of the Denali with magnetic suspension.

The biggest difference in the air suspension over the coils will be felt if you find a big bump somewhere (e.g. railroad tracks). The coils are really good, but there’s a limit to how much they can handle. The air shocks just soak up these big hits.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct - I have a 2019 big horn with standard coil spring suspension and it rides better than any other truck I've been in including Ford, Chevy and Toyota and better than my 2p14 4th gen. They are better than most cars. I haven't been in one with air-ride to compare.

A4Owner

Reaction score
Ok cool. Man I'm excited. The interior on this thing is amazing. The unit I'm going to check out is also about $5,000 less than more fully loaded Limited Models and stuff with air suspension so pretty excited. Mileage is low too. What kind of ummm issues should I be looking for? Again, never ever owned a truck. Oh yeah also, and this is a stupid question but, I'm 6'1 and weigh 205 pounds...my current Audi A4 is "okay" in terms of space for the first hour...after that its bad in there. Obviously these vehicles are bigger but how much bigger and is it the height versus the width of the chairs that really makes these things great on the open road?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok cool. Man I'm excited. The interior on this thing is amazing. The unit I'm going to check out is also about $5,000 less than more fully loaded Limited Models and stuff with air suspension so pretty excited. Mileage is low too. What kind of ummm issues should I be looking for? Again, never ever owned a truck. Oh yeah also, and this is a stupid question but, I'm 6'1 and weigh 205 pounds...my current Audi A4 is "okay" in terms of space for the first hour...after that its bad in there. Obviously these vehicles are bigger but how much bigger and is it the height versus the width of the chairs that really makes these things great on the open road?
Mine cost more than an equivalent Limited, but...I wanted the Longhorn interior, grille, and wheels.

I'm a 5'-11", 260 lb powerlifter...seat width is great :) Trucks are generally awesome in this regard.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Overall I find the seats are very comfortable for long drives at 6’4”, 205 lbs. It also helps that I can have my seat all the way back to stretch my legs, without intruding on the rear passenger legroom.

The seat length is just ok, but the width is good and the Longhorn gets the same softer seat cushion as the Limited.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I got both of you guys beat. I am 6'-1" and 434 lbs. I have plenty of room
in my '21 Laramie. It is a little tight ducking in, but Seated, everything is fine.

I once rented a "Full Sized" car from Enterprise. They actually changed the
Standard size car to full sized. Trying to get in, I was sitting on the seat and
the roof was at my neck. My head would have stuck out the Sunroof if it
had one. I even rode in my Bosses Beamer. My head was above the top
of the Windshield.

The Plans for the Airplane I am building have the Inside Cabin Width at
34" for TWO PEOPLE. I made mine at 43" the same as a Cessna 172. I also
hope to lose a bunch of my weight before I am ready for its Maiden Flight.

Malodave

NWRogue

Reaction score
Longhorn & Limited have better seats than Laramie, Rebel and Sport then?
That I think is the general consensus, they are definitely different. I have a Limited didn't drive any of the lower trims. 5'11 245 and the seats are great for me, although I can only speak for the drivers seat. My son is 6'4 260 and on the last road trip, no complaints after 1500 miles in the front passenger seat. And my wife loves the back seat, she's quite a bit lighter than me or the boy.

Users who are viewing this thread