5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Suspension Reliability?

SynAckuL

Reaction score
I've read some threads on this forum and others that talk about older model air suspensions being a nightmare in cold weather. I've also read that the 2019 air suspension has been redesigned.

I live in south Florida, so we rarely see days under 30F degrees. Would air suspension still be a bad idea down here?

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't think so. Just make sure you get an extended warranty in case the compressor blows outside the warranty. Getting the extended warranty gives me peace of mind. Just wait until you hit your first curved corner and hit the throttle and smile. I'm very happy with the air suspension.

Jordan3206

Reaction score
There were plastic bit issues that have since been turned into metal. Non-issue. Its still complicated compared to a strut or coil and shock.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There were plastic bit issues that have since been turned into metal. Non-issue.
No. Incorrect.

To answer the OP's question directly, you will be fine outside of regular wear and tear.

As for your statement @Jordan3206 you're speaking to something I get the sense you have a vague knowledge of. In the future I suggest you do a bit more homework before giving a poorly educated guess as fact. Only time will tell if the minor changes to venting and the single cylinder compressor FCA chose will make a difference. Sadly northern customers, with very expensive trucks, are the guinea pigs for FCA. Why they made air ride standard on the Limited is beyond me.

Jordan3206

Reaction score
No. Incorrect.

To answer the OP's question directly, you will be fine outside of regular wear and tear.

As for your statement @Jordan3206 you're speaking to something I get the sense you have a vague knowledge of. In the future I suggest you do a bit more homework before giving a poorly educated guess as fact. Only time will tell if the minor changes to venting and the single cylinder compressor FCA chose will make a difference. Sadly northern customers, with very expensive trucks, are the guinea pigs for FCA. Why they made air ride standard on the Limited is beyond me.
[/QUO

My point was... it was addressed. So don't worry about historical issues. Obviously, time will tell.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Basically, for the Florida OP, he's going to be ok outside of some new issue cropping up, or the need for the extended warranty due to all the new tech in the truck.
I've got the air suspension on the limited, not sure just how necessary it was for the ride comfort however the lowering step-in height is nice for the Ms.

I'm still on the fence for the extended warranty, I've had one of them (on my current Ford product) and never used it. It's just "maintenance insurance", though for my particular Ford, there's a known $1600 parts and labor issue for the awd that routinely fails, so the $1700 cost of the warranty may be ok.

Now that I have the Ltd with the air ride, powered running boards, pano sunroof, 12" screen and who knows what else, it's looking likely that at the 11 month mark I will opt for it. If I had E-torque and the level 1 options I'd FOR SURE get it.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My point was... it was addressed.
Nobody from FCA has ever made an official statement regarding cold weather issues on Ram air ride. If and when you can provide a link to a document or video describing the official cold weather fix from FCA, I'll eat my words. Until then, you remain incorrect and ignorant to the issue. Nothing personal, I lived with it for 3 years, made the phone calls, wrote the emails, escalated this and that and the other.

Nothing. Zip, zero... ziltch from FCA.

Again, nothing personal, OP wanted facts, you provided regurgitated propaganda or rumor. That's not helpful.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Nobody from FCA has ever made an official statement regarding cold weather issues on Ram air ride. If and when you can provide a link to a document or video describing the official cold weather fix from FCA, I'll eat my words. Until then, you remain incorrect and ignorant to the issue. Nothing personal, I lived with it for 3 years, made the phone calls, wrote the emails, escalated this and that and the other.

Again, nothing personal, OP wanted facts, you provided regurgitated propaganda or rumor. That's not helpful.
I havent googled it much but its definitely a known issue:
02-12-2015, 11:00 PM
Bunker Oil's Avatar Bunker Oil

Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: white and gold
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:10
Bunker Oil is on a distinguished road

The extreme cold is causing much grief with the air ride suspension my dealer reports to me. Leaking seals on the struts to blowing fuses on the compressor from running to much. I am waiting for 2 new struts that are back ordered as I find my front end sagging down every morning when its -20C or less. I now have serious reservations about the cold weather ability of the air suspension. Seems like Dodge really dropped the ball on cold weather testing this system.

The ram1500diesel forum has several threads and I found evidence of a possible fix on one post: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum...-possible-fixes-air-suspension-freeze-up.html

“My truck is also a 2014 which I ordered/configured from the Factory. I did not have issues during the first two winters. Started acting up in 2016/2017 but it would be very random. This past season however the minute it would get cold, I would get all sorts of messages (Service Air Suspension, Air Suspension Cooling Down, Disabled due to Load, etc.). Truck would also go down on the left side. If I drove it for a while it would sometimes just "fix" itself. Each time I would take it to the dealer it would fix itself as well, before I got there (Service Adviser saw it, but not the Technician).

Finally got it to a proper Technician who did more than say- "it is because of the Cold". Turns out there was a leak in the system, which required them to replace the Air Compressor (I believe the is where the leak actually was). Moisture was in the system, which was causing the Compressor to freeze up (I had told them before when I heard the Compressor running it did not sound right).

As the other poster mentioned, it is a closed system. Moisture should not get into the Compressor - and if it does it will start to cause more and more problems.”

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I havent googled it much but its definitely a known issue:

02-12-2015, 11:00 PM
Bunker Oil's Avatar's Avatar Bunker Oil

Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: white and gold
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:10
Bunker Oil is on a distinguished road

The extreme cold is causing much grief with the air ride suspension my dealer reports to me. Leaking seals on the struts to blowing fuses on the compressor from running to much. I am waiting for 2 new struts that are back ordered as I find my front end sagging down every morning when its -20C or less. I now have serious reservations about the cold weather ability of the air suspension. Seems like Dodge really dropped the ball on cold weather testing this system.

The ram1500diesel forum has several threads and I found evidence of a possible fix on one post: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum...-possible-fixes-air-suspension-freeze-up.html

“My truck is also a 2014 which I ordered/configured from the Factory. I did not have issues during the first two winters. Started acting up in 2016/2017 but it would be very random. This past season however the minute it would get cold, I would get all sorts of messages (Service Air Suspension, Air Suspension Cooling Down, Disabled due to Load, etc.). Truck would also go down on the left side. If I drove it for a while it would sometimes just "fix" itself. Each time I would take it to the dealer it would fix itself as well, before I got there (Service Adviser saw it, but not the Technician).

Finally got it to a proper Technician who did more than say- "it is because of the Cold". Turns out there was a leak in the system, which required them to replace the Air Compressor (I believe the is where the leak actually was). Moisture was in the system, which was causing the Compressor to freeze up (I had told them before when I heard the Compressor running it did not sound right).

As the other poster mentioned, it is a closed system. Moisture should not get into the Compressor - and if it does it will start to cause more and more problems.”
Oh, there's a lot of stories, complaints, DIY farmer fixes... I've seen them all. My challenge to @Jordan3206 is to find me anyone from FCA that will put "cold" and "air ride reliability" in the same sentence. He's looking for the proverbial unicorn.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Oh, there's a lot of stories, complaints, DIY farmer fixes... I've seen them all. My challenge to @Jordan3206 is to find me anyone from FCA that will put "cold" and "air ride reliability" in the same sentence. He's looking for the proverbial unicorn.
That's sad if they (FCA) have not admitted it. Having lived in Red Deer AB, I understand c o l d. That's why I am no longer in Red Deer! (y)

Jordan3206

Reaction score

Not sure any manufacture is ever going to admit to creating defective product unless its hazardous. You can get hung up on FCA alll you want but the system HAS been updated since many of these issues were reported. Air suspension is proven pretty problematic in pretty much every automobile since its inception at some point. It should be considered a wear part IMO.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Not sure any manufacture is ever going to admit to creating defective product unless its hazardous. You can get hung up on FCA alll you want but the system HAS been updated since many of these issues were reported. Air suspension is proven pretty problematic in pretty much every automobile since its inception at some point. It should be considered a wear part IMO.
The Rebel forum has a 19 page thread on this issue in case you want some more background and possible fixes. One later post from pg 19 says this (I only quoted to advise a buyer that an FCA extended warranty is a MUST for these trucks):
I have a 2015 Rebel. First winter was OK. The past 3 winters have given me nothing but headaches when the temperatures drop below 0. I have replaced 6 or 7 fuses this winter alone. Last week, truck dropped completed and is leaning to passenger side. Spoke with FCA Customer Care and it needed to be diagnosed first before they could do anything. Spent $158 on a diagnosis I already new. Blown air bag on right rear and compressor blown. Called FCA Customer care back and seeing what they can do. Estimated cost to repair is $2709 plus tax. Oh, and there is a back order on the air bags. I love my truck but this is an issue. Never air suspension again.
#183NPFD23, Mar 5, 2019
end of copied post

A rather lengthy non-oem article about the differing kinds of air suspension/air lifts available is here: https://adviceblogger.com/best-air-suspension-kits/
Since these systems have been out for so many years, you'd think they'd be pretty much de-bugged by now. What possibly explains the RAM cold weather issues still ongoing IDK...

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, I see what you're trying to say, but you're still implying the changes were related to the cold issue... they weren't. They switched to cheaper, more weight reducing parts that will probably make the problem worse. But only time will tell, you and I can argue semantics till we're blue in the face... but I no longer, thankfully, have a horse in this race. I just don't want people given incorrect info about a serious problem.

Jordan3206

Reaction score
Ok, I see what you're trying to say, but you're still implying the changes were related to the cold issue... they weren't. They switched to cheaper, more weight reducing parts that will probably make the problem worse. But only time will tell, you and I can argue semantics till we're blue in the face... but I no longer, thankfully, have a horse in this race. I just don't want people given incorrect info about a serious problem.

If my air craps out Ill unplug it and swap in coil overs. It is beyond frustrating the limited is only available with air.

Users who are viewing this thread