5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

air suspension load weight limits

LouNY

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea of what the weight load is that activates the warning on the air suspension.
I had a pallet of Ag bags loaded on my 19 Laramie with the air suspension and ORG.
When I loaded it the truck was in the entry/exit mode,
when I started it and activated the suspension to lift it, it went up to the aero level.
However it gave an error warning when I tried to go to the standard level and when I got home
it would not lower to the entry/exit level untill the load was removed.
Does anyone know what the weight limits are that this suspension produces errors.
Thanks

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea of what the weight load is that activates the warning on the air suspension.
I had a pallet of Ag bags loaded on my 19 Laramie with the air suspension and ORG.
When I loaded it the truck was in the entry/exit mode,
when I started it and activated the suspension to lift it, it went up to the aero level.
However it gave an error warning when I tried to go to the standard level and when I got home
it would not lower to the entry/exit level untill the load was removed.
Does anyone know what the weight limits are that this suspension produces errors.
Thanks
Somewhere around 2000 +/-

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I only got an error icon, no message when I was overloaded

4DA99EBD-9832-4F79-AD46-6359198F1174.png

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I had this error message a few weeks ago when we loaded up my truck (air suspension off road group) with a bed nearly full of fire wood, RTT and family of 3 with a dog as well as towing a loaded but dry 32’ travel trailer(~8000#) for a week long stationary trip. I was also stuck in aero mode but the truck rode and towed like a champ. I had an emergency/hard braking full stop on the highway when traffic randomly stopped and I was extremely impressed with brakes and suspension.

My max payload is 1341# with max towing of 11,241#

Last edited:

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had this error message a few weeks ago when we loaded up my truck (air suspension off road group) with a bed nearly full of fire wood, RTT and family of 3 with a dog as well as towing a loaded but dry 32’ travel trailer(~9000#) for a week long stationary trip. I was also stuck in aero mode but the truck rode and towed like a champ. I had an emergency/hard braking full stop on the highway when traffic randomly stopped and I was extremely impressed with brakes and suspension.

My max payload is 1341# with max towing of 11,241#
Do you realize that you were overloaded by more than 1,000 lbs?

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Do you realize that you were overloaded by more than 1,000 lbs?

No, and neither do you, unless you’re that guy who guesses weights of people at the carnival. I see that I accidentally hit 9 instead of 8 last night. The trailer was rated at around 8000# loaded wet which we were not. On top of that there’s payload/occupant weights to consider that you don’t know.

This is sliding off topic. My example, like others, was that even when you get that message and you aren’t insanely overloaded the truck still operates fine. What’s the engineering safety of factor? 2-3? Something like that.

Back on topic, I’d be curious to know how the computer knows payload is “exceeded”. Each rig has specific payloads and I doubt they program each computer to account for this.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, and neither do you, unless you’re that guy who guesses weights of people at the carnival. I see that I accidentally hit 9 instead of 8 last night. The trailer was rated at around 8000# loaded wet which we were not. On top of that there’s payload/occupant weights to consider that you don’t know.

This is sliding off topic. My example, like others, was that even when you get that message and you aren’t insanely overloaded the truck still operates fine. What’s the engineering safety of factor? 2-3? Something like that.

Back on topic, I’d be curious to know how the computer knows payload is “exceeded”. Each rig has specific payloads and I doubt they program each computer to account for this.
I don’t want this to turn into a big flame-fest, but you were absolutely overloaded.
  • 3 people and a dog. Best case scenario, that’s at least 300 lbs.,more likely 400.
  • Loaded but dry travel trailer. Rated for 8000 lbs, but let’s say it was best-case scenario of 5000 lbs. - that’s a tongue weight of ~600 lbs.
  • Bed nearly full of firewood. A cord of DRY wood weighs about 4,000 lbs. Based on your description, you had about 1/4-1/3 of a cord. So best case, with dried firewood, you had 1,000 lbs. in the bed.
Taking all of these best-case scenarios, you were still loaded to 1,900 lbs. - and more likely 2,000+.
As far as factors of safety, I won’t try to pretend to know what they are in this design. But I work with engineering factors of safety on a daily basis. And here’s how I describe them to others, “those are for God to use, not you”. In other words, FOS’s are there to handle the things we can’t control (minor hidden material defects, sudden minor overloads, etc). We toe the line every day, but don’t step over it and into the FOS. That’s where people get hurt and die…and I speak from a lot of experience with death and injury there.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I don’t want this to turn into a big flame-fest, but you were absolutely overloaded.
  • 3 people and a dog. Best case scenario, that’s at least 300 lbs.,more likely 400.
  • Loaded but dry travel trailer. Rated for 8000 lbs, but let’s say it was best-case scenario of 5000 lbs. - that’s a tongue weight of ~600 lbs.
  • Bed nearly full of firewood. A cord of DRY wood weighs about 4,000 lbs. Based on your description, you had about 1/4-1/3 of a cord. So best case, with dried firewood, you had 1,000 lbs. in the bed.
Taking all of these best-case scenarios, you were still loaded to 1,900 lbs. - and more likely 2,000+.
As far as factors of safety, I won’t try to pretend to know what they are in this design. But I work with engineering factors of safety on a daily basis. And here’s how I describe them to others, “those are for God to use, not you”. In other words, FOS’s are there to handle the things we can’t control (minor hidden material defects, sudden minor overloads, etc). We toe the line every day, but don’t step over it and into the FOS. That’s where people get hurt and die…and I speak from a lot of experience with death and injury there.
Agreed, that is way overloaded from a “legal” standpoint. I bet the truck probably handled it just fine, but technically it’s over loaded. It would be much safer to put all the extra weight of wood and stuff into the trailer. 500lbs of wood in the bed counts as 500lbs against your payload, whereas 500lbs of wood in the trailer is only ~12% of that (60lbs). 1500s have the power to tow good size loads, it’s the payload that kills us.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Screenshot_20200526-084249~2.png

Here is what I do know. And why I do not have a 1500.

Family of four...wood...bikes...and a 24 foot travel trailer.

My truck is moving 2400lbs of payload.

A 1500 is grossly overloaded. And sure you brakes stopped you. Do that a few times and you will understand there are a series of tests the truck goes through to get GVWR and GCWR.

Good times

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 101516

Here is what I do know. And why I do not have a 1500.

Family of four...wood...bikes...and a 24 foot travel trailer.

My truck is moving 2400lbs of payload.

A 1500 is grossly overloaded. And sure you brakes stopped you. Do that a few times and you will understand there are a series of tests the truck goes through to get GVWR and GCWR.

Good times

"People don't think brake-fade be like it is, but it do."

Users who are viewing this thread