5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Air Suspension Cooling Down Please Wait"

ProKubinator

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 DT, Laramie off-road group. Twice in the last week, I started my truck and the air compressor would run (normal on startup), but it would keep running for about 3 min or so. Then the air suspension lets out an "air release" sound, almost like a semi truck brake noise, and the compressor stops. After that, I get a message on the dash that says "Air Suspension Cooling Down Please Wait". After it cools down everything is fine. System can go up and down fine. Does not leak down or anything. Anyone have this same issue? Going to bring into dealer this week.

I thought this is a closed system with 2 nitrogen tanks. Am I hearing the nitrogen recover into the recovery tank or is it being released from the system entirely?

Thanks in advance

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure what you are hearing (I've never heard that) but it is a closed system, but I do recall that it shows an intake near the compressor. If it released into the atmosphere you'd wind up with no air suspension after a while unless it can pull in fresh air. Maybe that's what you are hearing? If it's running that long I suspect something is wrong and I'd get a dealer to check it out.

FishNitro

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 DT, Laramie off-road group. Twice in the last week, I started my truck and the air compressor would run (normal on startup), but it would keep running for about 3 min or so. Then the air suspension lets out an "air release" sound, almost like a semi truck brake noise, and the compressor stops. After that, I get a message on the dash that says "Air Suspension Cooling Down Please Wait". After it cools down everything is fine. System can go up and down fine. Does not leak down or anything. Anyone have this same issue? Going to bring into dealer this week.

I thought this is a closed system with 2 nitrogen tanks. Am I hearing the nitrogen recover into the recovery tank or is it being released from the system entirely?

Thanks in advance
My 19 Limited is having the same issue with the compressor running and the air release sound... i'm to the point where it does it every day in the morning. I have taken it to the dealer and they are yet to figure out what is wrong with it. They kept it for 3 days last time to run a bunch of tests but everything comes back normal. I'm curious to see what your dealer comes up with when you bring it in.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Once in a while mine does the 'air release' thing while driving. If the back sliding window is open it scares the crap out of me.

ProKubinator

Reaction score
Update on this issue

Truck is at Larry Roesch Ram in Elmhurst, IL. I took it to them on Monday to look at the air suspension issue along with a couple other small things (dash rattle, seat ventilation fan issue, steering wheel leather issue). The truck is at 35,750 / 36,000 miles for the warranty. The Air suspension issue pretty much just started. Some of the other issues have been around for slightly longer but I wanted to get everything checked out before the warranty ran out. I am most concerned about the air suspension over any other issues.

Got a call from the dealer, they "cant replicate" any of the issues that I brought the truck in for. I kindly told them that they need to keep driving it more because the issues happen to me almost every day. At that point they tried to sell me an extended warranty for the truck because "there is a lot of tech in these trucks" and told me I may need to keep driving it to make these intermittent issues become worse before they can fix, so the extended warranty would be good. I basically told them theres no point in an extended warranty if they cant even reproduce an issue im always having.

To make it better, they also were talking to me about a new 2021 limited they have on the lot. I lightly looked into it, until the salesman worked up a lease quote for it. $1,250 a month (36 month/10k miles a year, I have a credit score that hovers around 800). They said this is nothing off MSRP (they said they cant budge off MSRP at all), and a residual around 55%. This is not taking into account trading in my current truck, thats just figures on that truck alone. For reference my Laramie with a $63k MSRP was only $547 a month on a 36 month lease with nothing down and no equity on a trade. That same truck when built on the Ram website comes up to about $800 on a lease.

Not to turn this into a rant, but seems like this dealer is no better than the rest of them. I feel taken advantage of at this point. Trying to not fix my truck, oversell me on a new truck, and sell me an extended warranty. Truck is on day # 3 at the dealer and we still have not even replicated one issue yet.

This is my 3rd Ram I have bought brand new, and will probably be my last if this is what my warranty gets me. Prior to this, this truck has never been in for any warranty work, very well maintained, and well taken care of.

@RamCares

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update on this issue

Truck is at Larry Roesch Ram in Elmhurst, IL. I took it to them on Monday to look at the air suspension issue along with a couple other small things (dash rattle, seat ventilation fan issue, steering wheel leather issue). The truck is at 35,750 / 36,000 miles for the warranty. The Air suspension issue pretty much just started. Some of the other issues have been around for slightly longer but I wanted to get everything checked out before the warranty ran out. I am most concerned about the air suspension over any other issues.

Got a call from the dealer, they "cant replicate" any of the issues that I brought the truck in for. I kindly told them that they need to keep driving it more because the issues happen to me almost every day. At that point they tried to sell me an extended warranty for the truck because "there is a lot of tech in these trucks" and told me I may need to keep driving it to make these intermittent issues become worse before they can fix, so the extended warranty would be good. I basically told them theres no point in an extended warranty if they cant even reproduce an issue im always having.

To make it better, they also were talking to me about a new 2021 limited they have on the lot. I lightly looked into it, until the salesman worked up a lease quote for it. $1,250 a month (36 month/10k miles a year, I have a credit score that hovers around 800). They said this is nothing off MSRP (they said they cant budge off MSRP at all), and a residual around 55%. This is not taking into account trading in my current truck, thats just figures on that truck alone. For reference my Laramie with a $63k MSRP was only $547 a month on a 36 month lease with nothing down and no equity on a trade. That same truck when built on the Ram website comes up to about $800 on a lease.

Not to turn this into a rant, but seems like this dealer is no better than the rest of them. I feel taken advantage of at this point. Trying to not fix my truck, oversell me on a new truck, and sell me an extended warranty. Truck is on day # 3 at the dealer and we still have not even replicated one issue yet.

This is my 3rd Ram I have bought brand new, and will probably be my last if this is what my warranty gets me. Prior to this, this truck has never been in for any warranty work, very well maintained, and well taken care of.

@RamCares
I see this as a DEALER issue more than a RAM issue. There is not a truck in the world you will find that doesn't have some 'things' wrong with it. Don't be mad at RAM, it's the DEALER that's giving you the negative feelings.

ProKubinator

Reaction score
I see this as a DEALER issue more than a RAM issue. There is not a truck in the world you will find that doesn't have some 'things' wrong with it. Don't be mad at RAM, it's the DEALER that's giving you the negative feelings.
100%. But the dealer experience is a huge factor in deciding what to buy. Your right, they all will have some things wrong with it. So a good warranty experience makes things easier. My wife has a Cadillac and the dealer experience has been night and day compared to Ram. I'm lucky if the Ram dealer will give me a loaner (past experience with my other new Rams I bought before this one). At Cadillac its assumed you will be getting a loaner when you drop your car off. And her Cadillac's MSRP is less than my Ram....

guido1000

Reaction score
Having the same issue. My 19 has been at dealership for a month as I refuse to pick it up until they fix it. I brought it in because of the compressor constantly running, which I know is not normal despite what the tech says. This is my 3rd Ram with Air Ride, of course the first 2 were 4th gens. But at no time in the first 30k miles on the 2019 did the air compressor run for 2 minutes when starting. First time they tried to return it to me, it suddenly gives me the infamous cooling down message. Calling Ram customer service tomorrow and may bring to a different dealer. This one is more interested in telling me it is normal operation.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update on this issue

@RamCares
I believe ram tells the dealers to tell the customers this, so the customer just lets the issues go and either deal with them or buys a new truck. On my 19 lemon with only 7900 miles and several trips to the dealer, I was told if I’m having that many issues, maybe I should think about trading it in! That bs I just spent $60,000 on a truck 8 months ago with under 8000 miles and your telling me I should think about buying a new truck wow! I had a 21 built but think it will be my last ram. Ram did take good care of me after my lawyer was going to get involved, but it was a long year of trips to the dealer and listing To everyone’s bs! Good luck! If it were me I’d good look at another brand and dump that pos quick! Good luck👍🏻

FishNitro

Reaction score
I have a quick update to share on mine. Its back at the dealer and they actually found the issue this time. It looks like the nitrogen reservoir has a leak in it and needs to be replaced.

Funny thing is after a month of having it happen every single day it did not do it at the dealer despite me leaving it overnight and bringing them in the keys yesterday morning in hopes to replicate it for them. Its the only morning that it has not had the issue since the last time i had it in for the same issue.

I guess the part will be in tomorrow so i should have an answer as to if its fixed in the next week or so once i have a chance to sue it some post repair.

Samson75

Reaction score
I have a quick update to share on mine. Its back at the dealer and they actually found the issue this time. It looks like the nitrogen reservoir has a leak in it and needs to be replaced.

Funny thing is after a month of having it happen every single day it did not do it at the dealer despite me leaving it overnight and bringing them in the keys yesterday morning in hopes to replicate it for them. Its the only morning that it has not had the issue since the last time i had it in for the same issue.

I guess the part will be in tomorrow so i should have an answer as to if its fixed in the next week or so once i have a chance to sue it some post repair.

Please keep me posted . This is the exact same issue I’m having . I hope it’s the fix . My dealer is so frustrating . “It’s not showing up on our reader “. I’m not really interested in waiting until the compressor fails!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Here’s the problem with “keep driving till it gets worse” - my heater core failed and my -apparently “ultra keen sense of smell” figured it out before they did. They couldn’t smell anything and pressure test was fine. Brought it in 3 times. Well, I drove it till I couldn’t anymore and literally felt very sick after being in the truck for 1.5 hours straight one day. I checked the reservoir the next morning and it was down almost 2 litres. This means that I was in the cab as it vaporized that antifreeze.

I will not do that again, I’ll keep on it until it’s resolved - lesson learned.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
I always lower mine coming into the garage, today it gave me the same error. 2021 with 25K on it. I think I heard the compressor going a little with the windows down when I then took a lap around the neighborhood.

600 mile road trip tomorrow. Safe to assume I should keep it in aero and not touch it to minimize risk?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always lower mine coming into the garage, today it gave me the same error. 2021 with 25K on it. I think I heard the compressor going a little with the windows down when I then took a lap around the neighborhood.

600 mile road trip tomorrow. Safe to assume I should keep it in aero and not touch it to minimize risk?
I wouldn't worry about being in aero. On the stops would be different, but aero is a normal travel height.

Users who are viewing this thread